Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

So, the other day while browsing NewEgg, i see that the Creative X-Fi Fatality is not only on sale for $100, it has a $25 rebate. $150 card for $75? I'm in. I'd been thinking about getting a dedicated sound card, this was my moment to do so.

FFWD to yesterday, it arrives. I'm excited. I remove current drivers, disable onboard sound in BIOS, Install card and Install the latest Creative Drivers and applications form their website.

At first music sounds great. Under the 'Game mode' i'm listening to Ozzy and rockin out, things are swell. I decide to play with settings, and change it to 'Music mode' or something... Now i'm hearing these *snap, crackle, pop* noises.... AHHHHHHHHHHHH. I revert to Game mode, noise is gone.. Hmm. I fire up Mumble, everyone's voice snaps,crackles,and pops.. aHHHHHHH.

I start searching online. I tried the Daniel K drivers, no luck, same issue.

TL;DR - New Creative X-FI card is making snap, crackle poping noises. Need suggestions on fix.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102019

Other info:
    PC Build

Mobo - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    GPU - 2x GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB (SLI)
    HDD - 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" RAID 1
    HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Backups
    SSD - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II (Operating System)
    CPU - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366
    Heatsink - CORSAIR CWCH50-1
    RAM - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    PSU - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
    Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Re: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi

I have the X-fi Extreme music. I've never had the snap crackle pop problem but I have been having MASSIVE problems with the drivers. It has something to do with the switch between the different modes. I also have a feeling that UAC under both Vista and Win7 will cause problems with this as you need admin level access to make changes to the hardware which is what's happening when you switch modes. What OS are you running?

Also it might be something with the config of your PCI-E port in your BIOS. I don't know what it would be as I've never had a PCI-E x1 card, but it's something to monkey around with.

I'm thinking of scrapping my card and going with something else. The X-fi's just aren't Windows 7 friendly.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
      The X-fi's just aren't Windows 7 friendly.
      Yes, I'm learning this. I've spent days trying to get this thing to work as it should.
      Using alternate drivers I thought everything was working (Mumble, BF2, Ventrillo). Then I fired up TS3, and that was having a tough time staying working while Mumble was running... That's the most I could identify. Basically TS3 would stop recognizing that I had a Mic and a Audio output source.... yea.

After a week of dealing with this I'm just going to return the card. Shame.

I can tell you one thing, I won't be buying anything from Creative Labs ever again.
      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Thats a shame. What did the card offer for the game?

Comment

BF2 makes use of enhanced EAX features. Basically you can have more sounds playing from more channels at one time. You get things like more echoes, better explosions..... It's mostly ambient stuff.

It also does a terrific job of simulating surround sound from a standard 2 speaker headset.

Comment

ASUS makes a sound card that is supposed to be pretty good.
            Viking

Comment

Xonar, yea i've looked. This Creative thing has soured my interest for now. Mumble refuses to work the same despite my deleting ever darn file creative installed on my system. Everyone sounds like a dalek from Dr. Who.... Something is corrupt or needs reinstallation... I've reinstalled mumble, reinstalled directx, no luck.. UGH!

Comment

Right click and choose Run as Administrator. I have my shortcut for TS3 set to do this everytime it opens as it REFUSES to work with World of Tanks.

Comment

I have an Xtrememusic that has had nothing but problems with Windows 7 also (bluescreens). I ended up doing a dual boot system with XP 32bit for my gaming purposes, that has not had a problem. I used the DanielK drivers also.

Comment

I had that crackle & pop issue too when I got my X-Fi ExtremeGamer. At some point I miraculously got rid of it. I can't say for sure what helped, I just updated BIOS, got the latest drivers from Creative website (not any software, just plain drivers), Windows 7 and DirectX updates - all the usual things. And since then I've never touched the entertainment/game mode settings, because they used to make things worse. I use Game-mode always. Now it's been almost a year without any problems.

EDIT: Oh, and I also changed the card to another free PCI slot. I think that could've made the difference...

Comment

I have an x-fi extreme music and I got it when i was running xp. Windows vista completely changed the way audio is handled by the operating system and that caused problems for creative cards. the sound difference that it brings to battlefield is incredible. I've been using it with a nice set of headphones and the positional audio and effects are much clearer and better.instead of hearing the generic gunfire sound, you can now clearly hear every shot and how far away it is from you. it is very easy to pinpoint enemy footsteps and tanks with just your ears. now that i have the card i cant imagine playing BF2 without it because it really is brilliant.

now i am running win 7 and i don't have any problems with mumble. there are driver problems and software bugs though, i thought it was just my card getting old but now that other people have the same problem it clearly must not be the case. I get the occasional lock up in windows where the sound will just be screeching like an old modem. I get blue screens in BF2 sometimes (once every 50 games maybe). the card has 3 different modes (game, entertainment, audio creation) and you cant switch modes once battlefield has been running or after closing it. playing Berentz invasion the other day there was a constant crackle and then mass screeching i heard over mumble when anyone started talking and then all voip stopped working, that was the first time that has happened.

Despite all these problems i still recommend getting a card with the X-fi chip in it, even if its not from creative ( that may actually be a better bet), because the audio difference in battlefield is phenomenal. there is little to no difference in most other games but if you are a battlefield enthusiast then you should try it.

The only suggestions i can make for a fix is to do the following:
                      1) make sure the card is seated properly and nothing is touching it.
                      2) try changing modes on the card, it should be in game mode for battlefield and the audio settings should be on ultra (in bf2). Do not change modes once bf has been started. make sure it is in game mode BEFORE you launch BF2.
                      3) check the mumble audio output settings, try toggling things, something may be stuck on.
                      4) reboot, rebooting is always good.

Comment

Yea I agree that the sound difference was amazing, no denying that. I just couldn't put up with the issues (crackling time to time, everyone on mumble sounded like a robot) I think its BS a company as large as Creative cannot put the effort into updating their drivers. They seem to put out updates once a year.... unacceptable. I RMA'd my card for a refund, I'll pass on Creative products for the rest of my life after this episode. I can't even tell you how many hours I spent trying drivers, settings, uninstalling, reinstalling.... terrible taste in my mouth.

Comment

The solution that worked for me:

Change latency timing for your sound card from to 32 to, say, 40. A handy tool for that is PCI Latency Tool.

That prog wasn't designed for Win 7 so you'll need to manually "enforce" the prog's service.

How that works? It's long and tiresome but it's doable!

PS: I really do HATE Creative! Why am I supposed to fix their products?!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X