Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuttering problems? Throw more memory at it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuttering problems? Throw more memory at it.

One annoying thing about BF2 is that after waiting so long to load the map, then verify the data, you finally get in and the first few minutes of the game is spent waiting for the stuttering to stop. Highly annoying. This is completely fixable by adding more memory to your computer. I upped my memory from 1GB to 2GB and the problem no longer exists. It also speeds your map load and verification speeds somewhat.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Stuttering problems? Throw more memory at it.

Is it worth spending $100 for just BF2 though? Believe it's the only popular game to use 1.5-2.0 gb.

Comment

An extra gig of ram would give you the option of using 512 of it as ram and 512 of it as a ramdrive. You could preload the maps onto the ramdrive and have them load faster than anyone else... ooh *orders ram*

Comment

Originally posted by TEMM
        An extra gig of ram would give you the option of using 512 of it as ram and 512 of it as a ramdrive. You could preload the maps onto the ramdrive and have them load faster than anyone else... ooh *orders ram*
        This is not a horrible idea in theory. Something tells me that BF2 maps/textures and whatever else needs to be loaded would quickly consume that 512 of memory. It seems if anyone is running 4x1 GB modules you could load the whole BF2 game into most of that memory and use the remaining 1.x GB for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter
          One annoying thing about BF2 is that after waiting so long to load the map, then verify the data, you finally get in and the first few minutes of the game is spent waiting for the stuttering to stop. Highly annoying. This is completely fixable by adding more memory to your computer. I upped my memory from 1GB to 2GB and the problem no longer exists. It also speeds your map load and verification speeds somewhat.
          I use 1 GB Dual DDR Corsair XMS LL memory with a 6800 GT OC and I only stutter for the first 3 seconds when I enter the game. After that I'm perfectly smooth.

I lowered my textures from high to medium to make this possible. Otherwise I'd get random stutters. But the cost of 1 more gig of RAM is not worth the unnoticeable difference between medium and high textures.

My comp can run HL2 at full settings with 4x aa and 8x aniso, so I'm happy :)
          Telorn

Comment

I got rid of nearly all my stuttering my simply lowering my visuals a notch on 2 settings, and turning off AA/AF.
            Stutter gone except for really full servers on really big maps when flying in a helicopter, and even then, I'm not sure it's a memory issue.

Comment

I caved and ordered another gig of ram. I just can not justify not using my system to the fullest because I didn't want to spend $80 after spending so much on everything else. I'm hoping it will help a bit with my TV tuner card recording and multitasking also.

I don't believe it's possible to run 1280x1024 with everything on high without 1.5gb+ ram. I can't say it stutters with most settings on medium but once in a while with a huge fire fight in a new area it will. Hopefully help fix my loading/verify client data time too!

Edit: I'm also running AA at 4x because with it off it looks absolutely horrid. There seems to be so many (power) lines and wires that are extremely jaggy. ATI has been better than Nvidia in the past with AA/AF so hopefully I can bump those up all the way also.

Comment

many other message forums state that an addition fix for the stutters is to tweak the latency settings first. Of memory, Video and sound cards. Many combinations seem to get rid of stutter without lowering your graphic settings if your system supports the higher ones. Just a suggestion: Wouldn't be great if EA's brains would posts these kinds of fixes and ideas to help out its clients??? I know its a radical idea, but I think it could work for them!
                Last edited by Red_Dog; 07-09-2005, 04:05 PM. Reason: additional idea

Comment

What are your system specs Muld?

My wife just called to tell me that my 2gb of Corsair XMS RAM was on my computer desk waiting for me courtesy of New Egg.com and Fed Ex. Woot!

I have the following specs and am wondering what kind of performance to expect with the extra RAM:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe mainboard
                  Pentium 4 3ghz
                  GeForce 6800 GT 256mb video
                  Creative Audigy 32 Value edition sound card
                  and now 2gb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM in dual channel (replacing old PC 2100 RAM that forced me to downclock my FSB to post)

Could you guys post your system specs and the detail levels your happy with?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Straphe
                    What are your system specs Muld?

My wife just called to tell me that my 2gb of Corsair XMS RAM was on my computer desk waiting for me courtesy of New Egg.com and Fed Ex. Woot!

I have the following specs and am wondering what kind of performance to expect with the extra RAM:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe mainboard
                    Pentium 4 3ghz
                    GeForce 6800 GT 256mb video
                    Creative Audigy 32 Value edition sound card
                    and now 2gb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM in dual channel (replacing old PC 2100 RAM that forced me to downclock my FSB to post)

Could you guys post your system specs and the detail levels your happy with?

Thanks!

Wow, I planned on replying a long time ago but my motherboard has to get RMA'ed and I didn't feel like reading about BF2 fun when I couldn't play. My computer is working now and I added the extra 1 gig.

Specs:
                    AMD Athlon 64 4000+
                    Asus A8V-E Deluxe (asus is horrible for me right now and their "minor" issues)
                    2 GB ram
                    SATA WD Raptor 10k rpm 74GB
                    Onboard sound.
                    x850xt PCI-E made by Sapphire

I was running everything around medium settings because of the horrible stuttering on high (with 1 GB ram). It was just very unpredictable and annoying. With 2 GB I have everything on high except dynamic light and dynamic shadows. I may be able to turn those up but didn't feel like testing it last night and it was very playable with those on Low. Also running 4x AA, I can't stand the game without any AA. I'm running it at 1280x960 atm. Will up it to 1280x1024 though.

The loading is faster and verify client data is cut in half for the first map load. Yesterday during my second map load on the TG 48 player server I would say under 90 seconds to load the game and verify data. So I know this post is a tad old but I'm wondering if Straphe had the same experiences.

Comment

I also just added another Gig of RAM and now have zero stuttering for the first 30 seconds, something I used to have. I can also alt-tab in and out without lag.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

What I hate is the fact that the memory runs in dual (which is also nice!). But it sucks when you want more RAM..because you just can't add a third stick...you have to replace the two you have with two new ones, if you want the best power/speed.

The cheapest Corsair memory, which is the only kind I will buy, is $115 for 1GB. That's $230 minimum to replace my current gig just to run a few settings on high instead of medium, which you can barely notice the difference anyway? I just can't bring myself to do it :)
                        Telorn

Comment

What? Do you have 4x256 or what? How many slots does your mobo have?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus

He may be referring to having to run Cas Latency (CL) 2 vs CL1. If you have 2x1GB you can run CL1 if you have 4x512 it's CL2. I wouldn't worry about that though having more ram is better than CL1. I'm not a big fan of high performance overpriced ram and I nevered OC'ed mine. Maybe there is a difference but what you don't know what hurt you :). If you only have 3 slots on your mobo well that's a diff story and for BF2 I would still go with 1.5 GB.

Yesterday I was running around 1.2 GB ram used. Probably more after playing longer though. Alt tabbing is actually possible during loading. I did notice exiting the game after playing for a while takes around 10 seconds till I get full control over the desktop. Last but not least I can ctrl+alt+del my BF2 game. With 1 GB it would 'hang' in the system and sometimes require a reboot.

Edit: Playing the EQ2 trial it ran wonderful with fast loading and all that fun stuff but World of Warcraft is an absolute horror on high settings. Unexpected stutters and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                              I have 2 512s running Dual DDR. If I were to insert a 3rd or 4th Memory stick, I assumed that would interfere with the dual DDR function. So for best performance, I would want to buy two 1 gigs to keep the dual DDR in top performance. I have a Gigabyte 7NNXP MB.

Also, with my 1 gig I am able to alt-tab to desktop and ctrl-alt-del in a matter of seconds. I'm also able to gain control of my OS the moment BF2 exits. I believe this is due to running my OS and pagefile on two seperate 15k RPM SCSI drives.
                              Telorn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X