Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated Server on a Router is it possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated Server on a Router is it possible?

Hey, I just went out and bought 2 copies of this wonderful game. I have 3 pc's hooked up to a D-Link DI-604 Router with the most recent firmware installed... I want to Run a dedicated server on one of the pc's, it seems to work just fine, but I can't find the server on any list... But I can join the server from my lan...

I don't know much about firewalls, so I did the best of my ability to open ports on the firewall... I was wondering if someone could give me a breakdown of the settings that I need to set into my router firewall so that I can get the game to come up... Or is this even possible...

I talked to one of the [WIZ] at gamespy but he said that it was impossible, and I had to have the server hooked up to its OWN cable connection, NO ROUTERS allowed... But I've also seen sites explaining opening your ports etc, but none of them make any sense to me....

I hope someone out there can give me some info on what i need to do to my router settings to get this to work, or some sort of confirmation that what I'm trying to do is actually impossible... Thanks for whatever info you have

Re: Dedicated Server on a Router is it possible?

Originally posted by SOT-gRaviTy View Post
    Hey, I just went out and bought 2 copies of this wonderful game. I have 3 pc's hooked up to a D-Link DI-604 Router with the most recent firmware installed... I want to Run a dedicated server on one of the pc's, it seems to work just fine, but I can't find the server on any list... But I can join the server from my lan...

I don't know much about firewalls, so I did the best of my ability to open ports on the firewall... I was wondering if someone could give me a breakdown of the settings that I need to set into my router firewall so that I can get the game to come up... Or is this even possible...

I talked to one of the [WIZ] at gamespy but he said that it was impossible, and I had to have the server hooked up to its OWN cable connection, NO ROUTERS allowed... But I've also seen sites explaining opening your ports etc, but none of them make any sense to me....

I hope someone out there can give me some info on what i need to do to my router settings to get this to work, or some sort of confirmation that what I'm trying to do is actually impossible... Thanks for whatever info you have
    hey man I have the same problem ... BUT SORRY !!! NO SOLUTION YET!!! If I can find out something aobut this I will post here... anywayz .. if you find out 1st mail me please .. [email protected]

THNX A LOT !!!

Comment

Originally posted by SOT-gRaviTy View Post
      No routers allowed, that is interesting. Considering the internet is nothing more than a large quantity of routers interconnected, if no router was allowed, BF2 would simply not work!

What you want to do is doable, but you need to know a little about networking and computers. If you are interested, check out information about "port forwarding". It basicaly allows you to "connect" one of your computers TCP port to one of the TCP port of the router. In other words, people on the outside only "see" the router but it looks, from theirs perspective, as if the router was the BF2 server.

To be able to find your server, you will probably need to setup a DNS name as well. Look for "dynamic DNS".

Sorry if I am not more specific, but the exact manipulations to do depends on your exact model of router and on your internet connection. If you really want to do this, just read up on those two subjects and you should be able to understand what you need to do.
      TG-Irr BoldKiller0082

Comment

Im not sure about that specific router, but every router i've used has had a DMZ option (De-militarized zone) which allows all forwarding to and from a specific PC/Server. I had to enable this option on my home routers (2 wireless 1 not; Netgear/Speedstream/Off-brand). When you get the game up and running you'll have to do a web-checked IP look-up, that way you can know your external IP instead of the one assigned to the server from the router. Thats the IP you'll give to your friends to connect (Unless its public).

Its really easy, i had a dedicated server going for Counter Strike for a few months without a single issue, it'd be best though if you got a Static IP.
        Oyee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X