Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game crashes entire computer after 30+ minutes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game crashes entire computer after 30+ minutes.

The problem I'm having is after about 30 minutes of game play, my computer crashes entirely and I have to reboot manually. When the game crashes, the sound loops about .5 seconds of whatever I was doing before the game crashed. It happens on 70% of the maps, but some maps I can play without crashing.

After I boot up my computer again and get into the game, my graphics and audio settings are set back to default for some reason... but this happens at random. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.

PC specs:

GPU: 9800 GTX Black edition
    Mobo: Abit AW9D
    RAM: 4gb DDR2
    CPU: E6600 @ 2.4ghz
    PSU: Rosewell 550W
    Soundcard: Abit Realtek HD 7.1 CH

Trouble shooting I've tried so far:
    Defragging HDD
    adjusting audio settings in PR menu
    adjusting video options in PR
    closing all programs in the background
    Virus scan
    Setting CPU affinity in task manager
    Setting PR and BF2.exe as high priority in task manager.

The game worked fine when I was running it on XP 64-bit, but after changing to W7, I started getting this problem.

Re: Game crashes entire computer after 30+ minutes.

I have a big arse fan, so it can't be a heating problem.
    I've updated my gfx drivers and audio drivers

I'm starting to think it's W7.

Comment

Sounds like an overheating issue.

Comment

GPU temp is 60C
        CPU temp 58C

What's a good temperature?

With my big fan blowing, CPU is at 45C
        GFX is at 56C

Comment

Are those idle or load temps?
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Idle ;p
            My brother just told me that if my temps reach 75C, my PC will shut down.

Comment

I had a similar problem with the settings resetting after a lock-up or crash. I am also using Win 7 64-bit. But when .9 hit I no longer had crashing problems. I think you're right with it being an issue with Win 7.

Comment

Win 7 64 has an issue with the following, Realtek, Creative and in PR textures on high and audio on ultra, ie EAX.
                With your current config, run PR with resource monitor up. You should see your RAM utilization climb and keep on climbing. Eventually you will crash/bsod, with an out memory message.

Try latest drivers for your soundcard as it seems there is an issue with xram, at least in Creative cards. Set textures to medium and audio to medium/ high, not the ultra setting.

If it was overheating wouldn't we be seeing some artifacts prior to the crash, plus wouldn't the pattern of crashing be more predictable. Obviously this can be affected by ambient temperature, but basically shouldn't it be play for x time = overheating. Quoted temps on card are perfectly normal.

I know you have tried the settings but do it again, honestly I am speaking from painful experience here. Just run PR once you have got your PR settings right, once loaded in then start third party voip software like TS or mumble.

Comment

Maps I haven't had any crashes on:
                  Wanda Shan
                  Qwai River
                  Kozelsk
                  Operation Barracuda

I usually crash within 40 minutes on maps with sand (Jabal Al Burj, Kashan, etc), but I don't think the sand is the problem, I sometimes crash on wooded maps.

I've never had my computer freeze when I'm using a heli (thankfully... I'd hate to have a frozen computer while having a full squad in my heli), but other vehicles and being infantry are kaput.

I'll mess around more with my settings as Wickens recommended. I'll try different screen resolutions and the likes.

I have 2 accounts, MapleMayhem and UberCanadian. One has settings set to low, the other to medium. I have my sound set to medium on both, and I've tried it on low before but I still crashed. As you can tell, I'm quite frustrated ;___;.

I hope in the next patch, they'll fix this problem. I'm going to try turning my sound completely off. Perhaps that will fix it ;/

Comment

No luck... I'mma reinstall the game to see if that helps. I was running off of a torrented copy before because my CD drive was broken, but now I have a new CD drive so I'm good to go. Wish me luck!

EDIT: NO...DAMN....LUCK ;/

Still freezes on me... fml
                    Last edited by Maple; 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Ok think you need to do a bit of testing:

Have you had problems with BSOD crashes with out running games? Check windows error messages, then I would try the following:

First: run memtest, at least 6 cycles.

Second: you didn't mention if you have latest Graphics drivers.

I also would advise run compatible version of 3D Mark, see if you generate the crash in there, at least we will then know if the crash is due to Game, or some hardware fault.
                      sigpic
                      "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Originally posted by uk-warrior View Post
                        Ok think you need to do a bit of testing:

Have you had problems with BSOD crashes with out running games? Check windows error messages, then I would try the following:

First: run memtest, at least 6 cycles.

Second: you didn't mention if you have latest Graphics drivers.

I also would advise run compatible version of 3D Mark, see if you generate the crash in there, at least we will then know if the crash is due to Game, or some hardware fault.
                        I haven't ever had BSOD when I'm not gaming, and I've only had it once during a game freeze.

I've updated my GPU drivers.

Downloading 3dmark right now, I'll update you if something happens.

I don't really understand how to work memtest ;__;. I get an ISO file, mount it in daemon tools, but then I don't know what to do from there.

Troubleshoots I've tried recently that failed:
                        using CCleaner.
                        Defragging HDD again.
                        used "Smart close" to close any un-needed programs in the background.

Comment

Awaiting answer to PM Uk
                          sigpic
                          "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Originally posted by uk-warrior View Post
                            Awaiting answer to PM Uk
                            I passed out last night when I was running 3DMark ;__;, I'm sorry!

My system didn't freeze and/or crash though.

Comment

BF2 vanilla just froze my system ;/

So what I've found out:
                              Something is wrong with Windows 7 and the BF2 engine, and not my system hardware itself. I'm going to run more tests with my hardware drivers.

I just cleaned out my computer for the fun of it, and now for some reason my CPU temp is higher at 58C
                              idle w/ a big fan blowing X_X.

I'mma spread some thermal paste on it to see if that fixes the heat issue.
                              Last edited by Maple; 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X