Get your VOIP working...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get your VOIP working...

I know this should be in technical forums. But I myself do not check there often. If u want you can move it over there...

This goes out to everybody who has mic and tries to talk but no voice comes out at all....... I saw Robocop today and decided to put out a detailed intructions on how to unmute your mic:

There are 2 kinds of mic/headset that anyone might be using.
    1. Hard jack with a connector that looks like a headphone jack that goes into your walkman
    2. USB headset

The type 1 is where people have problems when they are trying to use mic for the first time.

Let us check couple of things
    Check to if the mic is muted (Windows default)
    1. got to start and click on Control Panel
    2. One the left hand side click on the link saying "Switch to Classic View"
    3. Click on "Sounds and Audio Devices"
    4. This is where you can mess with things. But I suggest clicking on Advanced under Device Volume Section
    5. Click on Option in the menu bar and go to Properties
    6. From "Adjust volume for" select "Playback".
    7. Once the bottom part changes Make sure Microphone is checked as well as everything else. Click OK.
    8. Now the Microphone section should be added... Make sure it is not muted as well as turned up.

Configuring to the best performance for the Jack Mics.
    1. got to start and click on Control Panel
    2. One the left hand side click on the link saying "Switch to Classic View"
    3. Click on "Sounds and Audio Devices"
    4. This is where you can mess with things. But I suggest clicking on Advanced under Device Volume Section
    5. Click on Option in the menu bar and go to Properties
    6. From "Adjust volume for" select "Recording".
    7. Once the bottom part changes Make sure Microphone is checked and everything else is unchecked. Click OK. (This will make sure no game sound will come through your mic)
    8. Once u get on it make sure to select the Check box and turn it all the way up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If u do not want to mess with all this stuff USB mic is for you... USB headsets will be configured automatically to ensure plug and play experience.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experts please add anything that I forgot
    Rookies ask any questions and I will try to answer them as well as I can.

Re: Get your VOIP working...

Too bad I can't give you rep again yet... :(

Great stuff.
    The background here, if'n ya don't know, is your mic has 2 sliders:
    1. Playback
    2. Recording "gain"

-- Playback is how loud anything said into your mic is played back. As B stated, you want this muted so you don't hear yourself. It's weird.
    You can have several playback devices selected - meaning you'll hear sound from all of them.

-- Recording gain is essentially how much the mic amplifies the sound it "hears". You want this real high, likely. You can only select ONE recording source. It should be microphone, of course.

2 more tips:
    - Don't forget to add the +20 db boost to your mic. You PROBABLY want this.
    - When you're in game, and you hit a VOIP button, if your little speaker icon turns from green to a "cracked" red - your recording gain is too high. Alt-tab, lower it by 25% and try again. When that happens, your squadmates are hearing your voice all distorted and crackly.
    "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
    - Lazarus Long

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
      - When you're in game, and you hit a VOIP button, if your little speaker icon turns from green to a "cracked" red - your recording gain is too high. Alt-tab, lower it by 25% and try again. When that happens, your squadmates are hearing your voice all distorted and crackly.
      Ah, I didn't know this! I see this all the time but no one ever said anything. I'll try it out.
      New to TG?

Comment

As a further quick note when you join a squad announce yourself to the SL. We don't always catch that people have joined. I always try and welcome people to the squad when I see them join. But even in battle it's nice to have a quick 5 second 'hello' before I start telling you to GET YOUR ARSE TO THAT FLAG SOLDIER. ahem... sorry. ;)

Comment

thats a very nice thing to do. if your nice to them, they will be willing to put up with the screaming commands :p joking

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
            Quoted for insanely helpful information.

Edit:
            Apparently my board, an Abit IS7, has a weird problem with the mic input generating tons of static and line noise. I didn't realize it until I started playing BF2. Looks like I'll be ditching the onboard sound...
            Last edited by TheLeech; 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X