Graphics Card jacked?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Card jacked?

Since I ran into this problem (one time) while playing BF2, I figure this qualifies to be posted here...

Here's what happened: I try to log on tonite, and after I load up and start playing, I see all this massive artifacting, like big blue 8-bit lookin squares all over the place, floating on top of the game graphics. These artifacts stay on the screen despite me looking around/changing my POV. I shut down, and see these yellow boxes cascading up the screen:

I restart, clean out my box with compressed air (it was a little dusty), and re-start.
    Everything looks OK, and I restart BF2.

Immediately upon logging in, same thing:

I think my card is either overheated, has a software problem, or is just plain jacked. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? The thought of trying to play BF2 on my laptop is scaring me right now.

Also, the card is a ATI AIW 9700 Pro. Haven't seen anything like this happen before...
    Thanks for any help you can suggest.
    Beatnik

Re: Graphics Card jacked?

I'd try reseating the card and trying the card in a friend's machine or something. You didn't just change driver versions, did ya? I know some ATI users have had problems with the 5.7 drivers.

Nothing is overclocked? Fan still spins on it?

Since we're seeing the problem in screenshots I guess that rules out the monitor. If changing drivers doesn't work, I'd probably lean towards the jacked card. It's time for an upgrade anyways, right? ;)
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

i would also ask if the card is overclocked.

it could be a lot of things, really. i was actually having problems with artifacts on my overclocked 9800 that were being caused by...a dying hard drive. took the drive out, fixed the problem. =O
      [TG]epheneh

Comment

No OC or anything - I run it on an old 36" Gateway Destination monitor that does 800x600 max, so no need to OC. I do have 6x AA on, but can't see that causing an issue. No I haven't changed drivers in forever, which is fine. I prefer stability to anything else, and haven't had any major issues before. I guess I'll try an step down the AA and see if that has any effect on it...

Ugh hard drive? I gotta back up just in case... :/
        Beatnik

Comment

Ohh.. I remember those Destination computers. One of the guys I lived with a few years ago bought on. It was fun playing Starcraft, which was brand new at the time, on that huge thing. Seems like they were just a big ahead of their time as the HTPC market is just now starting to take off.

Unfortunately, in my experience, troubleshooting hardware like this requires other hardware around to test it with.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          | for | |

Comment

I've had the monitor since 1998, so yeah they were ahead of their time with those Destination PCs. 36" CRT monitor, audio/video jacks built into the mobo, 5.1 Boston Acoustics sound. It's a great setup, and I just replaced the box a couple years ago. But I have been taxing it with BF2 and TV alot (ahh single life), so that may be a factor. BTW - BF2 (and DC and BF1942) were incredible to play on it. 36" screen, 8 feet away. It was pretty immersive to say the least. :)

Yeah that's what I'm thinking I need to do... swap it out and see if it still can work. Don't really have any other test boxes or anything. :/

And I can't upgrade till I move across the country and then find a job! woe is me...
            Beatnik

Comment

Perhaps the monitor is dying on you. Is there a spare one around you can try out? Maybe hook it up to a TV and see what happens.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'll check that out too - it seems that if it screen grabbed the pixelation though that it would indicate something screwy before getting to the monitor...
                Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                  Perhaps the monitor is dying on you. Is there a spare one around you can try out? Maybe hook it up to a TV and see what happens.
                  Sarc, the screen shot shows the artifacts..if it was the monitor the artifacts would not show in the screen print, because the computer does not take a 'shot' of the monitor, it takes a shot of the image leaving the video card.
                  Telorn

Comment

Oh that was a screenshot! Ok, not the monitor then. I thought it was a photo of the screen. Duh me.

Comment

I had the same thing happened once. I changed my video card and everything was good. So i say it is your video card.

Comment

argh. that's what i'm thinking too. :/ I'm quitting my job in a month and moving across the country with no other job lined up yet. I don't need to be dropping $200 on a new card... thanks for the input guys. if anybody has a magic fixit i can employ (short of buying a new card), by all means, let me hear it!
                        Beatnik

Comment

Maybe it's a heat issue. Open up the case and point a big fan at it.

Comment

Try that, or find an overclocking tool (not up to date on ATi tools) and actually underclock the card a bit.

You're brave to quit your job w/o another one lined up... I haven't worked since I lost my job around mid-March :(
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                              You're brave to quit your job w/o another one lined up... I haven't worked since I lost my job around mid-March :(
                              Dude that's NOT what I want to hear... :( I've got a possibility lined up which would be sweet but its kind of a longshot.

Yeah the card is fried I think. It pretty much goes all 8-bit within the first 10 minutes now. I'm thinking I will 1) Update the drivers, and failing that 2)Un-seat, clean, and re-seat the card, and failing that 3)try to take up ATI on their 5 year warranty (which too is a longshot), or 4) bite the bullet and get a new card.

Looks like it's laptop gaming for a while...
                              Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X