Autobalance after server restart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autobalance after server restart

Not sure if this was a bug w/ the autobalance script, a bug in BF2, or what..

On Aug 1, during prime time hours (8pm - 9pm central), server #1 restarted. When I got reconnected, we were in Mashtuur (first map in rotation I guess?) and the teams were terribly balanced.. Like 27 players on USMC, 5 on MEC. I tried to switch before spawning, but it wouldn't let me. Teams evened out a little more before I could die (accidentally pulled my parachute on the way out of the chopper so I had to go find someone to shoot at me).. up to like 33 - 15. When I died, I wasn't autoswitched. It took me a few clicks before I finally got myself switched over to MEC.

By that time, the USMC had all but one flag and the MEC spent a lot of tickets (due to bleed and attrition) trying to get just one additional flag. We eventually did make a decent comeback, but that first part of the round sure was frustrating. I dunno if any admins were around at the time, but a map restart sure would have been nice.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Re: Autobalance after server restart

Yeah I noticed this too. We should maybe move this to the Tech forum though so the mod writers can notice.
    Never lock the dogs when the wolf is in the darkness.
    [age-c1][conduct]

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged
      Yeah I noticed this too. We should maybe move this to the Tech forum though so the mod writers can notice.
      Excellent idea. :)

I *THINK* the trick to this is in the people connecting and how the autobalance accounts for thier presence. I'm not certain there's much I could do, but I'll see if there's anything in there that leaps out at me.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I've been noticing this odd imbalance at the beginning of rounds. I'm not sure if it was there before. I've seen the numbers 37-27.

I'm not sure why there would be an imbalance. I always thought that the teams stay the same.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

It is common to see that after a server restart. All joining players appear on one team, and then they are switched after they finally join the game. It is a non-issue.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
            Excellent idea. :)

I *THINK* the trick to this is in the people connecting and how the autobalance accounts for thier presence. I'm not certain there's much I could do, but I'll see if there's anything in there that leaps out at me.
            Doesn't the balance first run when they connect and place them on the side that has the less amount of players...or if the sides are even, it defaults the player to the opfor side?
            Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
              It is common to see that after a server restart. All joining players appear on one team, and then they are switched after they finally join the game. It is a non-issue.
              I do believe it is an issue. Like the thread creator said, USMC owned all flags but one. It can easily take up to 10-15 minutes for these side differences to clear up. And this just isn't a problem when a server restarts...it can be commonly found during a new round starting, though not as drastic and doesn't take as much time to clear itself up.

I do not believe this is an issue of 'the individuals are still loading the game and so they show on USMC side'. I've seen a large amount of USMC alive (easy to tell by hitting TAB), but they were never switched to the MEC side once they loaded the game and joined. Something is sneaking through the cracks of the autobalance.
              Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                Naaa.. If this was the case, then the USMC wouldn't have been able to get all the initially neutral flags. There would have been the normal race to secure those flags but just with less people. When I finally did make it to the MEC side, there was only one squad formed while the USMC side I had just left had at least 3 partially filled squads.

The "issue" was that by the time everyone had gotten reconnected, the map was unbalanced. We had quite a fight just to leave the flag where the artillery pieces are because the USMC had been able to converge there, when normally at the start of the map we'd be able to move on out and at least fight for one of the neutral flags. This was the "first three minutes" situation to the extreme.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed