Teamspeak and BF2 VOIP incompatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teamspeak and BF2 VOIP incompatibility

I just downloaded and installed Teamspeak so I could get onto server #1 this evening. Everything was working great until I tried to use the in-game VOIP. It simply didn't work. I checked my audio options and saw that VOIP had been disabled, so I promptly enabled it, but no dice. I couldn't use the mic boost, and whenever I finished testing the mic, it would disable VOIP. I played around with the settings in TS to no avail.

I found this thread (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthr...teamspeak+voip) in the general forum that suggested my sound card won't let two programs access its input buffer (sounds a little dirty, doesn't it?). The poster said to buy a better sound card.

I have a Creative Audigy2 Value, which I bought to replace the defective onboard sound on my motherboard (Abit IS7). That card wasn't cheap, but I can still return it and step up to the Gamer ZS or whichever the next Audigy 2 is.

My question is this: Which cards do the rest of you who can use TS and BF2 VOIP at the same time use?

Or alternately, does anyone have a suggestion for fixing my current setup?

Re: Teamspeak and BF2 VOIP incompatibility

I just use the onboard audio that came with my cheap ECS motherboard. Your audigy should be able to do both too. Check your settings and driver.

Comment

Yea, the Audigy is a "better" card. Heck, my 4 year old SB Live! Value is able to handle both! In TeamSpeak, under Settings->Options, make sure you have the Audigy selected instead of the generic wave driver or whatever. May need to select hardware sound in BF2 as well.
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

also try clearing out your battlefield 2 folder in my docs, that holds all your account info and settings, I have an issue where my settings wont be saved after the first time i change them.

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Well, no luck yet. I've tried cleaning out the Battlefield 2 folder and different permutations of hardware/software sound and changing the TS devices, but nothing works. I think I'll return this card and try the next card up in the line. Maybe the "Value" is too "value" to have a shared input buffer.

Comment

I have the same problem. Do you use Windows XP or Windows 2000?

I think this might be at the root of it, but I'll wait for feedback from people here before I go shooting my mouth off anymore.
            Let them eat war.
            XFire: billygnosis

Comment

This is a widely reported problem. I don't know if a solution has been found for it or not.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish
                I just use the onboard audio that came with my cheap ECS motherboard. Your audigy should be able to do both too. Check your settings and driver.

me too..works like a champ! about time crappy ECS was worth having for some reason! hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGnosis
                  I have the same problem. Do you use Windows XP or Windows 2000?

I think this might be at the root of it, but I'll wait for feedback from people here before I go shooting my mouth off anymore.

Win2k. How about you? Shoot away, I haven't bought the new one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLeech
                    Well, no luck yet. I've tried cleaning out the Battlefield 2 folder and different permutations of hardware/software sound and changing the TS devices, but nothing works. I think I'll return this card and try the next card up in the line. Maybe the "Value" is too "value" to have a shared input buffer.
                    The Audigy 2 cards defnitely support hardware mixing.

I'm in Windows now (normally use Linux except to actually play the game, so I was going from memory before) so lemme look at my settings..

In TeamSpeak, Settings -> Options, my Sound Driver is set to Direct Sound (have you tried this?), and Input & Output Devices are both set to my SB Live! Audio device.

In BF2, Hardware sound, medium level, EAX enabled.

You've updated your drivers and such from creative.com? I actually did some sort of "hack" and got Audigy drivers installed for my Live! Value card, so I'm probably using the same drivers you would get from the site. If you go to www.creative.com and click support, there is a software autoupdate tool to help you update the drivers.

XP is the only "officially" supported OS by BF2, but I really don't think that is the cause of your problems.
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

Well, the Gamer ZS card didn't help the problem. It's looking like it may be an OS issue (Win2K sp4) or some other piece of hardware. I'm at a loss. I'd like to use Teamspeak so I can get into the servers, but I can't play the game without the in-game VOIP.

Also, I tried what Perry suggested and it had no effect. If Teamspeak is running, I can't enable VOIP in BF2. I've tried starting BF2 first, but when I alt-tab back into it, VOIP is disabled. If I enable it, I can't add the mic boost and I can't hear anything with the mic test. On top of that, when I quit the mic test, it will uncheck the VOIP box. If Teamspeak isn't running, I can use BF2 VOIP with no problems.

Comment

Argh! I would recommend returning that. I've read that Audigy 2 Values are repackaged SB Live! cards. Creative has done that in the past.
                        |FDB|octavius

Comment

A few questions aside from that:

1) Was TS installed and used prior to the sound card purchase?

2) Do you get an error message upon opening TS?

I bought an Audigy 2 ZS plat. Teamspeak was looking for the old drivers for my older Audigy 1. Go to the Settings tab, select options, select either wave or directsound, (recommend wave for quality), reselect the card listed and hit apply/ok. Teamspeak needs you to manually recognize the new card and drivers. I hope that helps.
                          |FDB|octavius

Comment

I have this problem of not being able to use BF2 VOIP while running Teamspeak but I may have found a solution that has worked every time.

If the problem of the two softwares running at once and the computer being unable to buffer the BF2 VOIP, then I have ran BF2, entered a game, tested VOIP, alt tabbed out of the game, opened TS, returned to the game and used both softwares.

The red speaker icon shows but there is no problem of communication between squadmates on VOIP.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X