Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vid. Card

Hiyaa,

I am still running low on a Geforce 4 Ti (fun huh), and now I want to buy a new video card to play BF2 and other next-gen games, I saw This one.
    It has 8 Pipelines :)

Am i able to play BF2 on this system : Pentium 4, 2,53Ghz, 1024 RAM with that new card?
    How long would it last?
    Cya

Gamernl

Re: New Vid. Card

Does your motherboard AGP slot support a card for the full 8X throughput?

Also, IMO upgrading to 2Gigs of RAM will vastly improve your experience if you can afford it and your motherboard will support it.

Looks like a decent card. Not sure if it supports 3.0 Shaders though which is necessary for all the real "next-gen" games.

Just my .02 as usual.
    Never lock the dogs when the wolf is in the darkness.
    [age-c1][conduct]

Comment

Could probably get a better card on ebay or something, I think a 9800 Pro would perform better than a vanilla 6600. I'd never touch a non-GT 6600 personally.
      |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

I dont think that your CPU has hyper threading....so most of the new video cards will be bottlenecked by your CPU and not be running to the full capacity. With that said...Dont get a regular 256 mb 6600....the 128mb 6600gt is much better IMO. Check it this for more help:
        http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...705/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged
          Also, IMO upgrading to 2Gigs of RAM will vastly improve your experience if you can afford it and your motherboard will support it.
          It may give an improvement, but it if so it will not be vast.
          Originally posted by DrunkenSoul
          I dont think that your CPU has hyper threading....so most of the new video cards will be bottlenecked by your CPU and not be running to the full capacity.
          The CPU may indeed be a bottleneck (but a [email protected] shouldn't be too bad). It has little to do with hyperthreading though, unless you generally use your computer to run heavy tasks in the background while gaming.

Comment

Thanks for al answers, No I don't have hyper-threading, and does it make alot of difference with the CPU bottleneck?

Comment

Does the GF4 Ti even play the game for you? I didn't think it was a supported card in BF2?

I posted this in another thread:
              I have an AMD Athlon64 3000+, 1.5GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 128MB. Here's what I play at:
              [email protected]
              Terrain: High
              Effects: High
              Geometry: High
              Texture: Low
              Lighting: Medium
              Dynamic Shadows: Low
              Dynamic Light: Off
              Anti-Aliasing: 2x
              Texture Filtering: Medium
              View Distance Scale: 100%
              Game plays just fine for me! You may need to drop a couple settings, but...

I mainly chose the 6600 (PCI Express, FWIW) because the one I got is passively cooled (no fan). At the time, a passively cooled 6600GT was like $100 more and I wasn't willing to spend that much on a video card. I'm all thumbs, so trying to put an aftermarket cooler on would have ended in disaster for me.

My advice is to determine your budget and then get the best you can. Those Tom's Hardware VGA charts that DrunkenSoul linked are pretty good for comparing. The 6600 will run the game at an acceptable level, IMHO, but if you can afford a 6600GT then go for it.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

increasing your RAM above 1 gig won't yeild you anything unless you were planning on playing at high resolutions with game settings on high..which you couldn't even do without a 6800+, so I wouldn't worry about that.
                Telorn

Comment

If you want a 9800 pro, I'm putting mine up for sale tomorrow after I get my NvidiaV999 6800GE :), with the 9800 I can set the basics (with lighting at low) to high and run at 1024X768 just fine on servers, in single players it can do 1280X960 with everything except shaders at high without any lag.

@ Perry, 60 hz is BAD! Its really bad for your eyes, unless you have TFT/LCD, if you have a normal monitor you should never use 60hz its so bad...set it to at least 70 but 85 if you can!

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                  BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

No geforce 4 Ti doesn't work The Big Crash-To-Destop kicks in, Im gonna stick with the Geforce 6600 256 MB ( I like it )

Cya

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry
                      @ Perry, 60 hz is BAD! Its really bad for your eyes, unless you have TFT/LCD, if you have a normal monitor you should never use 60hz its so bad...set it to at least 70 but 85 if you can!
                      Yes, Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD :) I can tell the difference between refresh rates on CRT's, but never been able to on my LCD.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

I have:

Intel P4 2.4c Ghz
                        Dane-Elec 1024Mb (2x512Mb) PC3200 RAM
                        Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro
                        Aopen AX4SPE-Max mobo

Setting on low-medium gfx-wise, but I get no stuttering, and can run Teamspeak in the background at the same time, and alt+tab out no problems. I'd be amazed if there was a cpu bottleneck with anything but an absolute top end card - yours should have no problem. However if your ram is PC2700 (I think they never made a 'c' core 2.53 only a 'b' core) then you might need some extra ram to compensate for the speed loss. (Of course you could fit it with PC3200 RAM, set the speed lower to match your mobo, and tighten the timings if you wanted to get technical about things).

oh, and make sure you have an 8xAGP slot to make full use of the card.

Comment

I know my PC has an AGP slot but How do I find out what speed it is? (X4\6\8 etc)

Shogun

Comment

By finding out what motherboard you have you can find out what AGP it has, though most have AGP 8X

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                            BF2142 Names:
                            Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                            Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                            Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                            Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Oh Crap! I just found out that I have 1x 512 RAM I thought 2x 512 RAM And oh I have 2,54 GHz (bit more :P).

And my motherboard supports 8x the GF 4 that is in it now is AGP 8x

Still able to play BF2 with the new card?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X