So my ping sucks now :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my ping sucks now :(

Over the summer I was playing in Miami, on a DSL connection and got pretty desent ping.

Now that I moved up to school in Atlanta (on a supposed faster connection) I am getting pings of like 250

Have already tried switching the dsl/T1 option in the menu. Dunno if there is anything I can do?

Re: So my ping sucks now :(

I suspect the reason for your slower ping is that the information is being more carefully monitored - ie inspecting packets to prevent malicious intervention. Of course packets have to wait to be insepcted before they are released.

Download speed and ping are not always synonymous.

Comment

it's because it's a school. even if you normally manage good download speeds, that doesn't translate to ping. you're probably taking a lot of slow hops to get out of the school network, and you've probably got a good amount of packet loss, as well. i've been there.
      [TG]epheneh

Comment

No way to fix it?

I get good ping on other servers

Comment

oh - it's only TG that has bad pings???

hmmm... maybe Apo has screened out schools to keep out those scarred teens ;)

sorry - am at a loss for an answer :(

Comment

Priority home connection 4tw ;;
            Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
            [age-c1]
            [eng][air]

Comment

I doubt it's only TG. Most reports like this are difficult to trace down becaue the reports and information contained therein are soooooo vague.

In all probability, your school has a poor backbone provider that isn't peered well with any of the 10 backbone providers that serve the data center we're in. That's actually pretty tough to not be peered with any of them.

Can you post a traceroute or something that's useful like that?
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I suppose I could do a trace route...if only I knew how to do a trace route.

Comment

Go to a command line and type: "tracert ip address"

- It's who you game with.

Comment

You don't say what school in Atlanta, but if it's any of the schools in/near downtown, I'd think that you would have a pretty darn good connection. Especially if it's that vocational school near The Varsity :p
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

I looked up your IP from your forum login and ran some tests. I actually see a very clean connection from the TG network down to your school. If you're getting really bad pings I would wager it's something inside your residence or it was just a really bad time of day.

Are these pings consistently poor over a period of several days?
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I go to Georgia Tech...which as it happens is right next to the Varsity :P

Well I have only monitored it over 2 days...but both have been bad. It varies a lot which is odd.

Like last night it was at 300-400 when I first joined the server. By the end of the night (guess when the server got less crowded) is dropped down to 130.

Comment

hmmm well thankfully it seems like my ping is back down to like 60-70...so no idea what that high ping was all about.

Comment

I moved into my dorm room yesterday and tried to play some BF2 last night to find that whenever I enter the game it says "There is a problem with your connection." I eventually have to leave because I can't even use TAB to bring up my ping. This is horrible is there any way to fix?

Comment

Originally posted by FishRoy
                              I moved into my dorm room yesterday and tried to play some BF2 last night to find that whenever I enter the game it says "There is a problem with your connection." I eventually have to leave because I can't even use TAB to bring up my ping. This is horrible is there any way to fix?
                              Not unless you can provide more information to determine the problem. Post your trace route to the server. You may be dropping a lot of packets.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X