More ram?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ram?

I just got a new x800 xt and threw it in to play some bf2. I put it on high settings and seem to get lag. I have a AMD 2800 xp and 512 ram. Would I need more ram or something to run high settings in bf2? The card has 256 its self.
    When I get home people'll ask me, "Hey, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

Re: More ram?

More RAM would definitely help. However, you might want to check if RAM is the bottleneck. Check while you're playing if the harddrive is being accessed a lot. Use the game's FPS meter to see if the CPU is being used. Type 'renderer.drawfps 1' in the console. If the second number is over 50, a faster CPU would definitely help.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

512 megs of ram will barely run BF2 on low. the game just takes a ton of memory.

your processor is always a limitation, though not as big. i would figure on running well at medium with that XP2800, 1GB, and an x800XT. that card can certainly run high, but you'll probably need a stronger processor. even the current budget chips, like the A64 3000+ (i picked up a venice for about $130) would net you a good gain, and they overclock like mad, if you're into that.
      [TG]epheneh

Comment

not into overclocknig just yet. Also don't have the money for a new processor. But I got a few cash i can scrap up for another 512 stick. Ill check my fps and get back to you guys, thanks.
        When I get home people'll ask me, "Hey, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
          More RAM would definitely help. However, you might want to check if RAM is the bottleneck. Check while you're playing if the harddrive is being accessed a lot. Use the game's FPS meter to see if the CPU is being used. Type 'renderer.drawfps 1' in the console. If the second number is over 50, a faster CPU would definitely help.
          Ah, so that 2nd number is CPU utilization (in percentage)?
          |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

fps is 25-30

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
              Ah, so that 2nd number is CPU utilization (in percentage)?
              The second number here is always around 10/20

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
              BF2142 Names:
              Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
              Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
              Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
              Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

I cranked my box to 2Gb RAM and only now am I getting decent load times. I had task manager open on the other monitor, and bf2 peaked at about 1.3Gb usage (this is at full detail).

-ChrisMDP

(FirstPostHiTG!)
                Last edited by ChrisMDP; 08-31-2005, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMDP
                  I cranked my box to 2Gb RAM and only now am I getting decent load times. I had task manager open on the other monitor, and bf2 peaked at about 1.3Gb usage (this is at full detail).

-ChrisMDP

(FirstPostHiTG!)
                  Hey Chris, I remember you from a game a few days ago, good squad. (I was Thez)

1.3GB??? Wow...Now I really got to get another gig so my precious 6800 GE can do its miracle to the optimum

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                  BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry
                    Hey Chris, I remember you from a game a few days ago, good squad. (I was Thez)
                    Ah Thez - good to see you ... I'm taking a little break from BF2 (too much work on at the moment) but I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMDP

-ChrisMDP

(FirstPostHiTG!)
                      I thought dual monitor modes, effectively cut your video memory in half (moreson with the memory banks). So a 256 mb card, would be hard-wired to only use 128 MB of RAM for each display.... Have you experimented with single-monitor-only to see if there's any difference playing with a 2nd monitor running?
                      |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X