Processor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor?

Will Battlefield 2 play on a Pentium M 2.13Ghz proccessor? When I try to load the demo the screen goes black then back to the desktop.

Re: Processor?

Should... What kind of graphics card do you have?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

GeForce Go 6800 256mb

Comment

Hey All, I'm new to TG (Last Week)
        i went out and bought battlefield 2 today, and i was reading
        throught the manual and it says "An outdated video or sound driver can lead to slow and choppy gameplay, or in some cases prevent the game running at all".
        I am getting a new computer in 2 days and it doesn't have a sound card,
        i was wondering
        a) will BF2 run without a sound card (or a generic one)

and b) if it will, will it run on these specs:

AMD Athlon 64 939 X2 4400
        Gigabyte 256mb Geforce 7800GTX VIVO PCI-E
        2GB Of RAM
        120+ GB Hard drive

Thanks a heap i am kind of lost when it comes to computers
        any help would be appreciated

Comment

Welcome guys, make sure you check out the Battlefield 2 - Official Rules, Announcements & SOPs http://www.tacticalgamer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183 Good question about the sound card, I noticed this weekend I am using a generic sound card also. I do believe it slows the processor down, not 100% sure though.

Comment

Nice machine, Jackal...do you know which motherboard you'll be using? That'll tell us more about the sound. In any case, odds are you'll be just fine.
            |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

i don't have a soundcard at all and it works fine on software setting. there are many threads about the whole "goes black/quits to desktop" problem. EA themselves have a pretty comprehensive support page i would recommend
              |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Originally posted by thejackal19395
                Hey All, I'm new to TG (Last Week)
                i went out and bought battlefield 2 today, and i was reading
                throught the manual and it says "An outdated video or sound driver can lead to slow and choppy gameplay, or in some cases prevent the game running at all".
                I am getting a new computer in 2 days and it doesn't have a sound card,
                i was wondering

2GB Of RAM
                120+ GB Hard drive

It's not going to run on that pile, you should upgrade.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Hell yeah it will run, and not only will it run, it's going to run circles around most other systems! You should be able to run 1600x1200 with 4xAA and high AF.

I bow to your system :D

Comment

2GB Of RAM
                  120+ GB Hard drive

I would pick up a good sound card. Myself and Godfrey just installed the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Music and I have to tell you the sound is awesome. I shipped one to Trigger and am waiting for his reviews. My system specs are:

COOLER MASTER Centurion SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -

ENERMAX Noisetaker EG495P-VE SFMA ATX 485W Power Supply -

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor

2 CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory (2 Gig total)

MITSUMI FA404A/404M 8-in-1 USB 2.0 Digital Card Reader/Writer W/FD INTERNAL

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6B200P0 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

2 PLEXTOR Beige IDE DVD Burner Model PX-740A-BP

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2

BFG nForce 4 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

BFG Tech BFGW68256GTOCXV Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                    Nice machine, Jackal...do you know which motherboard you'll be using? That'll tell us more about the sound. In any case, odds are you'll be just fine.
                    The Motherboard is a gigabyte k8nf-9

don't ask me what that means

Thanks

Comment

The Motherboard is a gigabyte k8nf-9
                      Well, considering how high-end the rest of your system is, I'm a little surprised at that choice, but it's certainly not going to cause you any problems (it's a good board, simply not "top of the line"). It uses a popular chip (Realtek ALC850) for 8-channel audio; I don't think you'll have any trouble at all running BF2 with it.

Comment

any suggestions on a better one?
                        i have an extra couple of hundred $$ up my sleeve

Comment

i have an extra couple of hundred $$ up my sleeve
                          Audigy 2 Zs. It's a great card and you can get them for $70 or so from places like Newegg.com

Comment

First, let me apologize if I sound pedantic. I'm not sure what level of computer knowledge you have, so I'll assume that you're just as intelligent, but just not as big a geek, as me ;)

One very popular choice for motherboards these days is the DFI LANParty series of boards. There are two versions you might want to consider: the SLI/dual-RAID version (called the "DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR") and (for about $50 less) the non-SLI/non-dual-RAID, version (called the "DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D").

SLI is a technology that allows you to combine two graphics cards into a single unit, giving you essentially twice the graphics performance. Considering the video card you've chosen, you certainly won't need to use two cards any time soon, but this does give you an upgrade path other than buying a new graphics card at some point.

Dual-RAID allows you to have two separate disk arrays (as opposed to a single disk array on the non-dual-RAID board). A disk array is a combination of disks that function as a single disk. Depending on the combination and configuration you choose, you can enhance performance, storage capacity, and/or reliability (through redundancy).

Basically, it's a question of whether you want to invest the extra $50 on SLI and dual-RAID, or somewhere else. There are other things I'd suggest take priority. For one thing, I would suggest making sure that you have top-quality RAM. A good power supply is another worthy investment. Finally, don't forget about your monitor: it tends to be your biggest single purchase and the one that you have the greatest interaction with.

The DFI boards offer excellent overclocking capabilities, and I've heard good things about their reliability. If you prefer to go with a very tried-and-true brand, the ASUS A8N series are a very good alternative in my opinion.

One thing to remember, of course, is that adding things (like additional memory, or a separate sound card) is less complex and less expensive than replacing things. So, if in doubt, err on the side of buying a better essential component than adding a non-essential component. You might even choose to start with 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB if cost becomes a factor (doesn't sound like it is for you, though).

Comment

thanks a heap guys,
                              really appreciate it will take on what you said,
                              see you out there

GO RED SOX

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse