Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppy Sound

Hello all,

I just bought a Creative LIVE! 24 bit sound card (Upgraded from a regular LIVE!). When I play the game, all of the sounds are fine except the Voice Notifications (Infantry Spotted etc.). They are Broken up and choppy. Why just those specific sounds?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Shogun

Re: Choppy Sound

Change the sound to either Hardware or Software, opposite of whatever you are using now.
    |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

That fixed the Choppy problem, But this also means no 5.1 correct?

Comment

You should still get 5.1 sound. I think the hardware setting allows the soundcard to take the processing load from the CPU.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've got the same problem on my Audigy LS. If I'm in Hardware mode I get choppy voices. If I'm in Software mode I get no surround sound. The EAX checkbox doesn't seem to effect either of these.

Is there a way to disable AI/commander voices entirely? I wouldn't mind not hearing them at all if it meant I could have all my other sounds in surround.

Or has anyone found a fix for the choppy sound? I'm hesitant to try the v1.03 patch because I heard it can lower framerates, and I'm prettymuch at the minimum specs on RAM and video card.

Comment

Welcome to TG, Raptor007.

I fixed my super choppy sound a while ago by changing the drivers on my SB Live! Value card (4+ year old card now..) to those of the newer Audigy 2. Matter of fact, on Sunday, I had to do a repair install on Windows and was getting choppy sound again, so I "rolled back" the driver from the standard XP one back to what I had before, and the choppiness went away again.

http://www.shackbattles.com/wiki/ind...gy_sound_cards is the general directions I followed, but it's been several months so I forget what all I had to modify. And you're going to have to track down some SB software suite because the links are dead - it's long gone and when I was looking at my problem Sunday I was worried about finding it again before I tried rolling back the driver.

Or you can try swaping out the OpenAL driver.. http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbat...id=1704503&p=1 (Haven't tried this, don't know how/if it works.. you may fry your computer).

http://forums.americas.creative.com/creativelabs/ - Creative forums if you wanna find some more ideas.

Basically, newer drivers solved my problem and I had to do some additional hacking because I have an old card.
            Last edited by perry; 11-15-2005, 07:37 PM.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Hey perry, thanks for all the info!

As you said, the "universal" Audigy 2 beta driver links are dead. I first tried the OpenAL replacement, but it didn't fix it. By the way, this procedure is very safe, because OpenAL isn't used by Windows, only by games. I think if you do a fresh install of Windows, you don't even get OpenAL32.dll.

When that didn't fix it, I decided to try the Audigy beta driver from that site, since I do have an Audigy. But for some reason, the driver didn't recognize my Audigy LS (it claimed it found no Audigy card in the system). Same thing happened with the Audigy 2 beta driver, but I expected that.

Then I tried the latest release driver from Creative's site, dated 2005-08-05. Still not fixed.

Now I'm going to try doing the patching of the Audigy Driver Suite as is required for Live cards. I'm not sure why I have to do this for my Audigy LS, but I'll be happy as long as it works. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?&t=75905

Maybe that will help with the software.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                | for | |

Comment

I found that broken-link Audigy 2 beta driver package on BitTorrent. I can't run anything P2P on campus here, but a friend of mine is downloading the torrent for me.

http://www.torrentreactor.net/view.php?id=5130750

It'd be even cooler if I could get the Audigy4 drivers that you just posted to work. The PAX driver says it doesn't support Audigy LS, but perhaps the big hacked Audigy4 driver package will. I'm downloading that ISO now.

Tomorrow I'll mess with these packages and see if either of them will install. And if they do, I'll let you know if my BF2 sound problem gets fixed.

If only Creative used unified drivers like Nvidia does, I wouldn't be in this mess... :)

Thanks again for all the great links!

Comment

Well, it seems the Audigy LS (and Live 24) cards have their own chipset that isn't used in any other Audigy or Live cards. So I guess there's no way to hack newer drivers to work with my card. I've never had a complaint with my Audigy LS until now, but all of a sudden I'm starting to regret getting this card.

If anyone's gotten their Audigy LS working correctly with BF2's Hardware sound option, please let me know! At the moment though, it seems pretty hopeless. I guess no surround sound for me. Thanks EA and Creative. Thanks a lot.

On a NON-sarcastic note, I'd really like to thank perry for pointing me in the right direction. Even though I didn't fix my problem, I found out a lot about my sound card and perhaps someday I will be able to get it working better.

Since I can't fix this with the drivers, does anyone know how to disable the voices in BF2? If I could have my sound effects in surround, I really wouldn't have any problem with not hearing them yell "enemy submarine spotted!" and such.

Comment

Ugh, that sucks. I knew the Live 24bit was crippled, but wasn't aware that the Audigy LS was too. Sorry about that wild goose chase :( Maybe the folks on Driver Heaven or the Creative Forums have some ideas..

Would setting the voiceover volume to 0 do the trick for semi-disabling the voice sounds? They may still be playing and choppy, but at 0 volume. Since VOIP has its own volume, I'd think that the voiceover setting would be those spotted messages and such.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      | for | |

Comment

I figured that's what the voiceover volume was for, but I already tried putting that at 0 and they play anyway. :( Thanks for trying though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X