Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection

If you have ever been in the same squad as me you may know that I am prone to getting disconnected from the server.

It annoys me.

I am 99% sure that this is not a problem with BF2 because I frequently get disconnected from the internet when I am just surfing web pages. The weird thing is, it appears that I only get disconnected if I have been online during the day then try to go online at night.

For example, today I was on the internet surfing web pages etc with no disconnections. I try playing online tonight and I get disconnected every few minutes.
    Yesterday I told my family not to use the internet for the day so I could play the scrim yesterday night. I was online for about 4 hours with only one disconnection.

When the disconnection occurs a wee bubble at the bottom right of the screen pops up (i see it only if I'm not in game). The bubble says "Network connection cable unplugged". I'm not on a network of any kind and I don't share the internet connection whith any other computer. The same bubble appears if I physically disconnect my phone-line from the modem.

My ISP is AOL (stop laughing). I am currently waiting for my connection to crap out so I can grab a screenie but ironically the only time I want my internet connection not to work, it works fine. Anyone know of anything that I can do to check the quality of my phoneline or do you think it could be some sort of software problem?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can you only give positiive rep the same number of times as it has been given to you? Whenever I click on the + rep button nothin happens.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help me.

-0b1

P.S Happy 200th post :)

Re: Connection

This is it.

EDIT: The two wee arrows in in the task bar flash green when I am connected. (upstream/downstream?).Shortly after the bubble appear the arrows go yellow and it says 'Modem Training'. The 'modem training' thing usually happens when you connect the modem to the PC.
    Last edited by Obi; 09-18-2005, 06:26 PM.

Comment

If you are on any kind of DLS or cable then you are using a Network Interface Card to connect and, strictly speaking, are in fact on a network. If your internet connection drops Windows detects that as the network cable being disconnected (even if, in fact, the cable itself is in fact not unplugged).

Please provide more information aobut what kind of connection you have and what devices are present between yoru computer and the rest of the world. This information is important in giving you good steps.
      Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Am I correct in saying that you need to buy an NIC seperately and install it? I don't have an NIC.

AOL Gold 1 Mb

GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem (BT Voyager 100)

I'm not sure what other information you require.

Comment

If you are using that modem then you have a NIC, whether you know it or not. A network interface card is requried for your machine to communicate with that device. This could be wireless.

In the back of that device there are 2 cat5 ports. One goes from the device to a phone jack DSL filter, the other may not be in use if you are using wireless. Noting if you have a wire plugged into the port marked LAN that connects to your computer will tell you if you that you have a wired NIC (it will also identify the NIC for you).

When you have a connection problem, look at the Voyager. It has a handful of lights on it. Inspect these lights from right to left.

Here is a link to their page that will help you determine what the problem is when you drop connection. http://www.voyager.bt.com/2000/troubleshooting.htm It is important to look at the modem first when you have connectivity issues as this has a simple way to determine whether the most likely failure is inside or outside your house.

I did not find a BT Voyager 100 on their site, you may want to take another look at what the exact model is, in case there is something specific there.

Another general thing to pursue is cleaning your machine of all virus and spyware/malware. These can sometimes create circumstances that APPEAR to be network disconnect but are actually just heavy congestion.

Good luck.

Oh-- and if you havne't already: power down your pc. Then power off the DSL modem. Then power up the modem and wait for it to reconnect (DSL light will come back on steady). Then power up the machine. Everyone needs a nap sometimes--- even your PC
          Kornkob

Comment

It's a USB modem but it still is a network interface. Somehow the connection is being disrupted while you are playing. When this happens, try to check the modem. It might be resetting. It could be overheating or maybe just network congestion.

If the modem does have a CAT5 port, you may want to try a network card. It could be a more stable connection than USB.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Ah-- a USB modem. That one can get icky. I've seen problems caused by USB hubs as well as a variety of USB devices. If it is a USB mobem, unplug anything USB that isn't essential to basic use (Keyboard, mouse, modem--- end of list). If that fixes the problem then this suggests that there's something in the removed items that is causign issues.
              Kornkob

Comment

Thanks alot. I'll try your suggestion and report back. I'd give you + rep but it wont let me.

Comment

Originally posted by kornkobcom
                  Ah-- a USB modem. That one can get icky. I've seen problems caused by USB hubs as well as a variety of USB devices. If it is a USB mobem, unplug anything USB that isn't essential to basic use (Keyboard, mouse, modem--- end of list). If that fixes the problem then this suggests that there's something in the removed items that is causign issues.
                  Did someone call me? Oh nm :D
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Sometimes on USB modems, the computer will go into powersaving mode and 'turn off' the USB device. Make sure that is not happening.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                      Sometimes on USB modems, the computer will go into powersaving mode and 'turn off' the USB device. Make sure that is not happening.
                      How do I do that?

Comment

In control panel there is a 'power options' section. Try turning off 'system standby' and 'system hibernate' and see if the problem dissipates.
                        Kornkob

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X