Uninstall/Reinstall issues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstall/Reinstall issues...

I asked this through EA's support and have been messing around with this problem for almost a week. I am not smart enough to figure this one out and have tried quite a bit to make it work.

About a week ago, I started to have trouble connecting to online games for BF2, no trouble with other games. I could see all the servers, but could not join even when typing in the IP. The Error message suggested I check to make sure my network was up (it was fine).

I decided to uninstall and reload a fresh copy of BF2. I copied my in game Profile and pasted to the desktop.

I hit Uninstall from the Start Menu. The Install Wizard popped up, the blue bar filled, and an Aqua Screen popped up for an instant before it kicked out to the desktop. I tried multiple times to make it work.

I then went to Add/Remove programs contained in the Control Panel. Same result as above.

I then followed EA's guide to Manually Uninstalling the game. That is everything but the last step which is listed as a font...

You can manually uninstall the game by removing the files and registry keys associated with it. Be sure to follow these steps exactly as they appear to prevent accidental file/program deletion on your system.
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg...i=&p_topview=1

I have replaced the Install Wizard program within Program Files/Common Files. Same result as above.

Attempts to Reinstall using the Autorun, Setup, or even manually copying the information to my hard drive per http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg...i=&p_topview=1. Install Wizard Bar fills, Aqua Screen appears and then Disappears.

I am not willing to restore my computer, what other things can I try?

Much Thanks,

Lucky Shot

Re: Uninstall/Reinstall issues...

ftp://ftp.ea-europe.com/UK_Support/E...Eraser_v10.reg - found that link on the EA UK forums. Looks like it does what the uninstall instructions on EA's site would do if they were complete.

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6268
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

Gave that a run, still the same issue. You have given me hope Perry.

Ran the Eraser. Control Panel Add/Remove Programs still list it. Of course the rest of it is gone from Manual Deletion.

Try to Remove and I get that same issue where the Install Wizard Fills, Screen pops Aqua then back to Desktop. Also tried to Install and Force Install from previous instructions post Eraser.

I am closer, just not there yet.

Thanks so far for the help!

Lucky Shot

Comment

Did you move the My Documents\Battlefield 2 folder out of the way, or just copy it? Is it still there? Try getting rid of it.

Go through regedit (be careful!) and remove anything with battlefield in it. Edit -> Find -> Battlefield... delete, F3, delete, F3... until it's all gone. There should not be anything left after that Eraser thing, but it seems like something got messed up.
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        | for | |

Comment

The Battlefield 2 folder has been deleted from both the Program Folder and My Documents. I did not copy it to another place, except for my profile.

I went through Regedit and the only additional Battlefield name I could fine (Beyond those contained in other games) was for the patch. I deleted the Registery link for the patch.

It still shows up in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. On top of the Eraser, I have tried RegscrubXP as I have heard that will clean up registery links.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Wow, it's being quite persistent, huh? I saw folks mentioned those registry cleaner programs as possible solutions, but you tried that too.

The Add/Remove programs list is built from keys listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall which should have been cleaned by that Eraser program. Almost seems like its key name got changed somehow. I found this program on a Google search, maybe it or a similar one would help clean up the list for you?
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            | for | |

Comment

Think I finally figured it out, with much help. Rome Total War was the latest program I installed. It was not interfering with BF2, however, there was issues with Install Wizard from Rome Total War. So when I went to uninstall/reinstall, it wouldn't. I was unable to delete RTW until I downloaded their patch 1.2. After that, ran the eraser tool, manually edited the registery and all of a sudden it allowed me to install the game.

What a mess! Thanks Perry for your help man!

Lucky Shot

Comment

That's wacky, but glad ya got it working. BF2 was just pouting because you were cheating on it. That should teach you not to try other games in the future :p
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                | for | |

Comment

Pretty darn glad for the help though. Made sure I gave ya some positive feedback for it too!

Thanks again!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X