I think I've uninstalled too much.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I've uninstalled too much.

Well, I'm lazy and don't want to find new drivers for my graphics card which is probably the reason why my graphics get messed up every week or so. It works fine if I reinstall, so that's what I've been doing. CDs are in perfect condition and I know where everything is. So I uninstall and start reinstalling. Finally, at the end of the last bar for the 3rd CD, it stops and says "An error has occured during download, please retry another time." I retried a good three times, and it still gives me this error. I think I've uninstalled too much.

Can someone figure out what's going on? Furthermore, where can I update easily my graphics card drivers? I've done this before, but it never went through fully and just made a mess. Any help would be appriciated! Thanks.

Re: I think I've uninstalled too much.

First, what 3d card do you have? Updated drivers are HUGELY important. It makes a giant difference. If it is made by ATi, then ati.com has drivers for you. If nVidia makes your card, nvidia.com will have drivers. If you don't know, type in "dxdiag" in Start > Run and look around in there.

As for installing, you could either try a different CD drive, borrow discs from your friend, or rip each CD to your computer and mount them with something like Daemon Tools.

Comment

I recommend the same as Tycho, try using the program alcohol 120% to make ISOs of your bf2 cds / cd drive emulation mounting as a work-around.

Comment

Uninstall any older drivers on your card before you update. Just go to control panel - Add/Remove programs, and then find your old drivers or something with your video card in it's name.

Download the new drivers from the nvidia or ati websites.
        Seems like it would take alot longer to uninstall and reinstall the game, rather than update your drivers.
        Anyways, good luck hope to see you back in the servers soon.

Comment

I'd go to Driver Heaven, and grab their driver cleaner. It does an excellent job of removing all the drivers from a prior driver install, just follow the directions and you will be fine.

Oh, and alcohol 120% is a great program, but you may have to use a crack to remove the CD protection to get the game to run with the virtual disk. Even then, the validation server may catch it....I haven't tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
            I'd go to Driver Heaven, and grab their driver cleaner. It does an excellent job of removing all the drivers from a prior driver install, just follow the directions and you will be fine.
            Do you have a link to the site?

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline
              Do you have a link to the site?
              http://www.driverheaven.net/

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo

Oh, and alcohol 120% is a great program, but you may have to use a crack to remove the CD protection to get the game to run with the virtual disk. Even then, the validation server may catch it....I haven't tried it.
                actually, the only CD check is when BF2 is starting. After that, you can open up the drive and take the disk out.
                |TG| aschmack

Comment

Okay, so it's AVI (Radeon 9800 Pro) and I've done it before...but I didn't know I had to delete the driver before hand, but it makes sense now. Yea, I downloaded the new driver, but for the longest time it said an error about the driver not being used. Oh well, that's gone now, but it made me want to stay away from drivers.

As for Driver Heaven, does it delete just the graphic driver immedately? Does it notice when I download a new driver and then delete the old one? I don't want to download to find it deletes my graphic driver without me getting a new one. Is this all in the instruction and on the website and I'm just lazy to look? ;) =P

Comment

Originally posted by elmerfudd
                    actually, the only CD check is when BF2 is starting. After that, you can open up the drive and take the disk out.
                    I find it easier to just use the mini-image. Less space used, no disc required and no problems with PB.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Deveran
                      As for Driver Heaven, does it delete just the graphic driver immedately? Does it notice when I download a new driver and then delete the old one? I don't want to download to find it deletes my graphic driver without me getting a new one. Is this all in the instruction and on the website and I'm just lazy to look? ;) =P
                      ATI's official drivers tend to leave DLLs, and such on the HD, so no, it doesn't just delete it.

Here is the steps, for the lazy :icon16: :

1.Uninstall the drivers.
                      2. Reboot in safe mode.
                      3. Run Driver Cleaner.
                      4. Reboot.
                      5. Reinstall the drivers.

Actually, grab the Omega drivers while you are on that site. Well worth it. My IGP Radeon gets a 10-15fps boost off stock!

Comment

Driver Heaven's downloads are currently down. =*(

Also, I ahve three things in Control Panel that I could uninstall: ATI - Software Uninstall Utility, ATI Control Panel, or ATI Display Driver.

Which one do I pick? The Display Driver or the Uninstall Utility are my two guesses. If you say Control Panel..well...I never said to take me to Vegas... =P

Comment

Originally posted by Deveran
                          Driver Heaven's downloads are currently down. =*(

Also, I ahve three things in Control Panel that I could uninstall: ATI - Software Uninstall Utility, ATI Control Panel, or ATI Display Driver.

Which one do I pick? The Display Driver or the Uninstall Utility are my two guesses. If you say Control Panel..well...I never said to take me to Vegas... =P
                          Use the first one, and it should take out all three.

Comment

Thanks guys! I got it working this afternoon. Cleaned up the already sparkling clean CDs and uninstalled the drivers and put in some new ones. I didn't get to use Driver's Heaven because their download section isn't up, but I'm still able to play. Hopefully it won't bug out on me again. Let's hope! Only time will see.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X