Oh Noes! My graphics! WARNING: Non-56k Friendly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Noes! My graphics! WARNING: Non-56k Friendly

After reinstalling BF2 and getting NEW drivers for my graphics card, my graphics STILL mess up. The only way to get rid of this is by uninstalling and reinstalling (which brought up my other question). With these new drivers I put in, it made ANOTHER error I haven't seen (example in SS1, SS4, and SS5). I can temporarily fix the problem for a few seconds by Alt-Tabing, but it doesn't solve it. I've tried to reboot and go back in game, but not even that works. Only method I've found is reinstalling. Here are the screen shots:

SS1

ENTER: THE MATRIX ... Yea..there was a guy at that flag that I charged and couldn't see because of this. ALSO! When I was flying a jet later in that round, this would pop up sometimes and it would be as hard as hell to see what I was aiming at, though I did kill a chopper and a jet a few times because of it (though..they both were hovering =x).

SS2

Kadurka durka.

SS3

The BLACK patches I tell people I see and they think I'M crazy!

SS4

Nope...that isn't a pretty sunset!

SS5

Yea..the house is pretty cool..but not being able to see 5 feet in front of my face isn't. Fog of war sux0rz.

SS6

Digital Camo at it's best!

My driver info

I also have a bug which makes my sights go haywire also, but I didn't get a SS of it. So.. what do I need to do to make this stuff go away? Any and all help is appriciated because I'm sick of redownloading this damn game. I'm to the point where I have half of my CD key memorized...I'm serious. Thanks!

Re: Oh Noes! My graphics! WARNING: Non-56k Friendly

Is your video card overheating in any way?

Comment

I don't believe so, I have it well open to air and fan is fine. I'll put on the thing that checks my current temperature for Video card when I play BF2 here in a second when I find it and show you the temperature asap, but I really don't believe that is the cause. It use to do this at the very beginning of me playing Planetside, but I "downloaded" the new drivers and it went away.

Bah. I don't have the program anymore. I'll have to find the CD I had it on and get it off there or ask my P2P buddy to get me one. This, of course, will not be done tonight nor tommorrow. But I really don't believe it's overheating because I remember seeing the temperature was far under the threshold when I was running Planetside.

Comment

That deffinantly looks like artifacts from an overclock or heat related issue (or just a faulty card.)

The easy way to tell if the card is faulty is to put it in another Machine. If the problem follows the card, the card is probably bad.

Overheating issues on Geforce cards appear at around 60C, not sure what the # is on ATI.

Could be a bad set of drivers, try completely uninstalling them and rolling back 2-3 levels.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Deveran
          I don't believe so, I have it well open to air and fan is fine. I'll put on the thing that checks my current temperature for Video card when I play BF2 here in a second when I find it and show you the temperature asap, but I really don't believe that is the cause.
          Depends on the heat in your room. If you're room sits at around 80+F, your card can easily hit 60C+, which is danger. I have heating issues in the summer in MN, because my PC cooling is designed to run when it's cooler in the house (ambient case temp of around 70F) but sometimes it gets into the 80's and humid, which drives my ambient case temp up to 80's+, which drives my other temps up because it's all air cooled.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Mine starts doing that if I play over an hour or two, overheats, then I let it stif ro 10-15 and I can go another hour or two.

Az
            [age-c1][command]

Comment

Also oddly enough going to XP from Win2k fixed a lot of my problems, ar you using Win2k or XP?
              [age-c1][command]

Comment

I'm using XP Media Center. I'll get that program by tommorrow and see what my temperature is. I don't like the sound of a faulty card, hopefully I can get a refund or a new card from ati if it is.

Comment

Its the catalyst, I had the EXACT same thing when I still had my 9800 pro and used 5.8.
                  5.7 worked fine for me, going to a previous version of the catalysts (5.6 or 5.7) should fix it.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                  BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

mine was doing that the other day....i let it sit and it was fine again...i havent changed drivers im still on 5.7 so i think its just a over heating problem
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                      Depends on the heat in your room. If you're room sits at around 80+F, your card can easily hit 60C+, which is danger. I have heating issues in the summer in MN, because my PC cooling is designed to run when it's cooler in the house (ambient case temp of around 70F) but sometimes it gets into the 80's and humid, which drives my ambient case temp up to 80's+, which drives my other temps up because it's all air cooled.
                      60C is nothing for a GPU. That's hot for a CPU, but GPU's are designed to take that much heat. In fact, they are probably tested at the factory at more than 100C to ensure functionality in a PC. I have seen mine hit 70C with no issues at all, and they are rated to run up to 90C. I can't say specifically how hot the RAM can run, but it doesn't run near as hot as the GPU anyway.

I would take the side of your case off and make sure the fan is moving on the GPU. Download "ATI Tool" and run the artifact scanner. This will max out your GPU and you can follow the temperature. Make sure the temperature isn't climbing to some insane temperature (90+C). If it's staying at a reasonable temp (below 70C) you may have a defective card. My buddy had something similar on his card and it turned out to be defective RAM. ATI replaced his card at no charge.

Also, make sure you're not overclocking the GPU or RAM in any way. The last thing I would do to test the RAM is to lower it's frequency by 50MHz and see if that problem goes away. If it does, you have defective RAM.

EDIT: Do you have any other graphics intesive game you can run to see if the problem exists there? Like DOOM 3, Call of Duty, etc.

Comment

i suggest getting custom drivers and reinstalling bf2.

lets seee... for ATI, you'll want the OMEGA drivers: http://www.omegadrivers.net/
                        |TG| aschmack

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
                          60C is nothing for a GPU. That's hot for a CPU, but GPU's are designed to take that much heat. In fact, they are probably tested at the factory at more than 100C to ensure functionality in a PC. I have seen mine hit 70C with no issues at all, and they are rated to run up to 90C. I can't say specifically how hot the RAM can run, but it doesn't run near as hot as the GPU anyway.
                          Depends on the card. In theory, 6600GT/6800GT's can run up to 90C. In practice, 6600GT's have issues at 65C (artifacts) if the ram isn't cooled (and on most cards it isn't). Now, he's running ATI, and that's a different ball of wax, so I couldn't say what temps he has to worry about. But, based on what's been said, I'd say he has a driver issue and needs to roll back. (catalyst drivers are horrid anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                            Depends on the card. In theory, 6600GT/6800GT's can run up to 90C. In practice, 6600GT's have issues at 65C (artifacts) if the ram isn't cooled (and on most cards it isn't). Now, he's running ATI, and that's a different ball of wax, so I couldn't say what temps he has to worry about. But, based on what's been said, I'd say he has a driver issue and needs to roll back. (catalyst drivers are horrid anyway)
                            RAM and GPU are two completely different temps. I'm talking about the GPU. There is no way to really check the temp of the RAM, so the best bet is to lower the clock on the RAM a bit and see if the issue goes away. If it does, the card needs to be replaced. They need to run at stock speed, even at high temps. That's why they're tested at higher temps to ensure proper function in a system. I know, my job is testing CPU's for a living :D

Comment

It's not the Cat 5.8s, unless you are using the "new"(crappy) Catalyst Control Center. I have DNA modded Cat 5.8s installed and the game looks fine, but I use the old style control panel. My card is also overclocked to 390 core, 356 memory(9800Pro).

At this point, you need to begin a troubleshooting basis. You have gone to new drivers, that didn't fix it. You have reinstalled, that didn't fix it. Have you run scandisk on your drives to make sure there isn't any bad sectors or any corruption? This could come into play because BF2 "optimizes" the shaders and saves them in a cache on your HDD. Messed up sectors or corruption of files could lead to this. Try running other games, do they give you any problems? Are your motherboard drivers up to date? Has your motherboard BIOS been flashed up to date?

I could go on, but lets start there.
                              [age-c1][tog-c1][volun]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...