1.03 Patching Failed / Invalid CD Key fixes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.03 Patching Failed / Invalid CD Key fixes

So after 3 hours of reinstalling, repatching, and performing other user friendly manouvers, I was finally able to get on to the TG server. The procedure to get 1.03 installed and working was only slightly more complicated than brain surgery on an unimportant frontal lobe. Anyway, for those stuck with "Patching Failed" or "Invalid CD key" issues, here are the methods that worked for me:

To install the patch:
    1. Start the patch program
    2. Select your language
    3. At the "welcome-screen", do not proceed!.
    4. Keep the patch-window open and go to your start menu, select "run".
    5. Write %temp%
    6. Enter the folder {alot-of-digits-and-letters} and proceed to a a folder with a similar name. For example:
    {03A9E526-2B99-4AF2-BC50-D26A2CFB516D}\{F317E784-F31C-4F26-A610-2D7BD89FEC5F},
    7. Locate the 12 patch files, they are
    BF2CDKeyCheck.exe
    default.pal
    FontData.ini
    isrt.dll
    license.rtf
    patch.exe
    PATCH.RTD
    PATCH.RTP
    patchw32.dll
    setup.inx
    StringTable-0009-English.ips
    _IsRes.dll
    8. Copy all the files into to your BF2 game folder.
    9. Run the Patch.Exe you just copied into your game folder.
    This should show a list of the files being patched (Warnings seem to be OK)

Hopefully at this point you will be able to start the game in version 1.03. But it might happen that when you try to connect to a server, you get an invalid cd key message. Of course, there's an equally simple solution to that problem, thanks EA!

CD key issue solution
    Courtesy of http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbat...id=1756011&p=2
    1. Start the patch program again (no this is not a reinstall - keep reading)
    2. Select your language
    3. At the "welcome-screen", do not proceed!.
    4. Keep the patch-window open and go to your start menu, select "run".
    5. Write %temp%
    6. Enter the folder {alot-of-digits-and-letters} and proceed to a a folder with a similar name. For example:
    {03A9E526-2B99-4AF2-BC50-D26A2CFB516D}\{F317E784-F31C-4F26-A610-2D7BD89FEC5F},
    7. Double click BF2CDKeyCheck.exe
    8. You won't notice anything at this point.
    9. Now your CD-KEY troubles are over (worked for me).
    Hopefully this will help others with similar issues. Since the forums are filling up with similar posts about Patching Failed, CD key issues and crashes to desktop, I suspect we'll get another update from EA in the near future.

[Edit - Removed dir.txt from list as it was in there by mistake]
    Last edited by Iamthefallen; 10-05-2005, 08:03 AM.

Re: 1.03 Patching Failed / Invalid CD Key fixes

FYI, the invalid CD key "fix" doesn't work for everybody. Many people who use it, including myself, persist to have the same invalid CD key error.

Thanks for the repost and good effort though.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
    live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
    Friend me!

Comment

Yeah, I saw that on the planet BF forums. There's a whole bunch of issues with the installer and the patch. For some it works just fine, while others suffer complete system freezes or CTDs and everything in between.

Comment

Yep. Same story on TotalBF2. Following their lead I think this is the part we curse EA's good name and "wait for 1.031." Or as another frustrated user said,"MY CD-KEY WAS VALID, IS VALID, AND WILL ALWAYS BE VALID!!!"
        Friend me!

Comment

I'm at a LAN center. ALL their CD keys have been invalided by the patch.
          Friend me!

Comment

I have patched using this method but when I try to start the game black screen pops up and flashes back to desktop.

Also in my patch directory there were only 12 files, there was no file called dir.txt

What is that dir.txt file and is this the reason why the game wont work?

Comment

Ah dir.txt is my mistake, ignore it. There are 12 files in the patch.

Comment

Hi all. Nice site and forum
                New at this forum. Found it via a friend at AGB(A Gaming Brotherhood).
                Got a real problem with this. Thought that "Iammthefallen"s solution would take care of it. But it didn't. As a matter af fact I can use that cause I don't even get to the "welcome screen". Just before I get the message:" Not enough disk space. Needs 1600MB". Problem is I got 23,6GB on that disk.
                So HELP is needed. Thanks in advance.

Comment

AFAIK the patch will require a substantial amount of disk space on your C: drive as EA in their infinite wisdom have decided that it is the only drive that should be used for unpacking the files and patching them.

So do you have 23.6 GB free on your C: drive or the drive where you installed the game ?

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen
                    AFAIK the patch will require a substantial amount of disk space on your C: drive as EA in their infinite wisdom have decided that it is the only drive that should be used for unpacking the files and patching them.

So do you have 23.6 GB free on your C: drive or the drive where you installed the game ?
                    C-drive: 23,8GB and my game drive E: 23,6GB. So space is not the problem.

Comment

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26725 - possible explanation for the problem
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

The solution for the "invalid CD key" for those of us who have received the "patching failed" message and then done the manual install...erg where were I??..yes the solution is to press the "BF2CDKeyCheck.exe" placed somewhere in the BF2 folder (cannot remember where and I am not at home).....lousy EA Games!!

Comment

i got a cd-key problem aswell. it always said i have the wrong key.
                          after quitting the installation, i tried the installation again - without any problems.

that is very strange!

Comment

I still haven't been able to resolve this issue after trying everything in this and other threads.
                            Friend me!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse