recommend a vidcard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend a vidcard?

I'm in the market for a new video card, but don't really watch the market, so thought I'd ask the forums. I'm looking for an upgrade for my X300 video card. Yes, I currently play with an X300 - but it's not that bad actually. I'm about 40-50fps at 1024x768, but obviously have things turned down. I'm looking to turn them up a little without breaking the bank - looking for the $150 range. BTW I have no interest in going beyond 1280x1024 because that's as far as my LCD will go.

Can anyone recommend a PCI-E card for me?

Re: recommend a vidcard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122201
    That wasn't so hard now was it :p?

---

Comment

Oh, and on the closer side of the $150 mark:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130214

---

Comment

For that price range, you're looking for a 6600GT. Should allow you to play at medium high settings with the proper power (at least a name brand 300W power supply), CPU, and ram (at least a gig).

Comment

What did i just now suggest? Twice even :).

---

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin
            What did i just now suggest? Twice even :).
            Just backing you up. I always do more research than just one person's word. Great minds think alike. :)

Comment

A friend has an ATI 800XL and is quite happy with it. Cheaper than nVidia.

Comment

The x800xl is out of the $150 price range and at around there nVidia 6600GT's have the nasty tendency of outperforming ATI cards :p. (Sorry, is my brand loyalty showing? :) I love my 6800GT, definitely staying with nVidia)

---

Comment

at the $150 price range, it's hands down the 6600GT. ATI simply has no budget card that's equal to the price/performance of the 6600GT.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                    at the $150 price range, it's hands down the 6600GT. ATI simply has no budget card that's equal to the price/performance of the 6600GT.
                    And once again for the unbelievers! :).

---

Comment

Cool, thanks. I've used both NVidia and ATI in the past. My last card was a 9800pro, which I loved, but I upgraded to a PCI-E, so there went the AGP 9800pro. Along with that PCI-E came a whole bunch of upgrades, and the X300 that I now have.

Can you guys suggest buying now vs. buying later? I'm getting by on the X300, but on the other hand I want to beef up BF2 before I burn out on it. I can afford to go a little higher $$-wise, but typically I don't like buying high-end because it never feels I get my money's worth. Just in the past few months I've noticed some major price drops on the PCI-E cards - is this expected to continue? Would I be better served waiting a few more weeks?

Thanks.

Comment

Will the 6600GT upgrade be worth it? Seems incremental to me. I'd wait until you can afford at least a 6800GT.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                          Will the 6600GT upgrade be worth it? Seems incremental to me. I'd wait until you can afford at least a 6800GT.
                          This makes sense to me - looks like 6800's start at around $190, but the GT's are like $280 - what's the deal with GT? Why are there so many options here, it's driving me nuts. Seems to me that the 6800GT won't fall under $200 until next year, which is too long for me...

Comment

The 6600GT is not an incremental upgrade to his X300!

The X300 runs 15.8FPS at 1024 x 768 where the 6600GT runs at 59.7

The GTs are better than their equivalent 6600s and 6800s (more pipelines, faster clock speeds, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by wrxlvr
                              The X300 runs 15.8FPS at 1024 x 768 where the 6600GT runs at 59.7
                              This seems a nice upgrade to me... what denotes an incremental upgrade?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X