Time to upgrade computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to upgrade computer?

I'm running an AthlonXP 2500+ w/ 1 GB RAM running at 333MHz, plenty of HD space and an ATI Radeon 9800pro 128MB vid card. BF2 ran fine on this setup from launch until 1.02 when I started to experience a huge slowdown in framerate (when down from around ~30-50 to 10-20 fps, as low as 3 or 4 when lots of players or explosions are on the screen). The latest patch increased my framerate back up to ~15-40fps -- usually hovering around 20 on most maps -- but the game keeps on freezing intermittently at random intervals of time or starts stuttering.

My CPU, case, and video card (i assume) temps are within reasonable limits. Any idea what could be causing such poor performance and stuttering? Needless to say, it's extremely frustrating to the point that I'm not playing BF2 often now. Do yall think the hardware specs are too low?

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Re: Time to upgrade computer?

a hardware upgrade never hurts, i had alot of problems with battlefield and many of them where sorted by changing out some components, have you checked:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=60661 ?

I also had fps issues with the patches too, check your services and mabe venture into abit of overclocking if you havnt already, also im sure you have your own set of tools for maintaining your computer but mine consists of:

Spybot
    adaware
    tune-up utilites

very effective combination of keeping the registery clean, wiping off clutter, clearing out spyware/adware and appling registry hacks, the latter (tune up utilties) is especially powerful and contains everything you will need

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

I had the same problem with a low frame rate at very low settings.
      My configuration was Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz, 1 Gb memory and 9800 video card and frame rate was at 15-20 Fps.
      Decided to upgrade to 3.4 Prescott, 2 Gb 400 MHZ RAM and new ATI 850XT video card. Now I'm getting 50-90 Fps at medium-high settings at 1024 resolution.
      I would recommend new video card first and memory swap after that.
      Hope this helps.
      |TG|Bodark
      96th Assault Group

Comment

Originally posted by bodark
        Decided to upgrade to 3.4 Prescott, 2 Gb 400 MHZ RAM and new ATI 850XT video card. Now I'm getting 50-90 Fps at medium-high settings at 1024 resolution.
        I would recommend new video card first and memory swap after that.
        Hope this helps.
        if that's your rig...

why the HECK do you have *anything* set on medium/high? i think you're safe to run everything maxed out with that cornucopia of goodies...

out of curiousity, what heatsink are you using for the 3.4 Prescott??

i think it's about time to ditch the silicon and manufacture processors with DIAMONDS!!
        they won't melt...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...diamonds_x.htm

Comment

I have almost the exact same rig as tau_neutrino except I only have 512 Meg of RAM. I have everything on low down way low. Things used to be smooth until the patch came out.

Then I read about how to reduce lag. i havn't tested this out yet but i probably will tonight.

http://forums.filefront.com/showthre...hreadid=217620

Comment

Originally posted by 0b1one
            Then I read about how to reduce lag. i havn't tested this out yet but i probably will tonight.
            That's really cool, Ob1one. Let me know how it goes. I'm nervous about fiddling with my BF2 file settings, because I ended up re-installing BF2 the last time I made any changes (modified a file saying which movies were skippable at the beginning).

But, yeah; if there's a way to cut a lot of unnecessary software from running concurrently with BF2, I'll be a happy camper.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
            [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
            Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

new video card and more memory would be great.

Comment

If I were him, I'd just sell that one off and build a new one.

Then again that's what I'm doing anyway.

Comment

I have an AMD Athlon 2600+ (512KB L2 cache, ~1.9Ghz Barton core) with 1GB of PC2700 memory (333Mhz FSB). I overclocked it though, so the FSB is running at 368Mhz giving me a little over 2.1Ghz core speed for the CPU. Also have a Radeon 9800Pro 128MB, using DNA modded 5.9 Catalysts with the old style control panel. The CCC is teh sukz. The 9800 is also overclocked, 390 Core 358Mem.

One thing that was amazing was when I changed sound cards. I use to have an Audigy LS. I bought an Audigy 2ZS and installed the beta OpenAL drivers for it. I gained about a 25% performance increase across the board.

I run all medium settings at 1152x864 with dynamic shadows and 100% view distance.

Only time I have problems is after playing for a while the game will stutter for the first minute of the map, then it goes away.

I wanted to upgrade, but with the threshold of technology pretty much right here (new PCI-E, 64bit CPUs, SLI back, still want to wait 6 more months on those) I decided to save my cash and wait.
                  [age-c1][tog-c1][volun]

Comment

Originally posted by 0b1one
                    I have almost the exact same rig as tau_neutrino except I only have 512 Meg of RAM. I have everything on low down way low. Things used to be smooth until the patch came out.

http://forums.filefront.com/showthre...hreadid=217620
                    I had 9800 pro too, gettin around 30 fps, at 1024, no AA and most stuff on medium and low.
                    Switched to the 6800 GE and everything goes smooth, with all on medium and high, 4XAA and getting around 60 on avarage

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                    BF2142 Names:
                    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino
                      I'm running an AthlonXP 2500+ w/ 1 GB RAM running at 333MHz, plenty of HD space and an ATI Radeon 9800pro 128MB vid card. BF2 ran fine on this setup from launch until 1.02 when I started to experience a huge slowdown in framerate (when down from around ~30-50 to 10-20 fps, as low as 3 or 4 when lots of players or explosions are on the screen). The latest patch increased my framerate back up to ~15-40fps -- usually hovering around 20 on most maps -- but the game keeps on freezing intermittently at random intervals of time or starts stuttering.

My CPU, case, and video card (i assume) temps are within reasonable limits. Any idea what could be causing such poor performance and stuttering? Needless to say, it's extremely frustrating to the point that I'm not playing BF2 often now. Do yall think the hardware specs are too low?
                      This question may sound odd since I don't know if this issue has been covered before in this forum but ....are you running xfire? I had a similar problem a ways back(low 20fps...stuttering) and it turned out xfire was the cause. Read this thread for more info and a fix:

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?...wtopic&t=33247

If its not that then the other posts in this thread seem to have your options covered...
                      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

If you haven't, you may want to run through Black Viper's list of services and disable what you don't need. I only have 18 background tasks running (all needed) when I play.

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

You can also try using EndItAll (version 1, listed in link below) to stop unneeded programs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0....ssageID=388406

Be sure to disable Windows Firewall (firewall, right...), Windows Update, and any other programs (antivirus).
                        [age-c1][tog-c1][volun]

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon
                          if that's your rig...

why the HECK do you have *anything* set on medium/high? i think you're safe to run everything maxed out with that cornucopia of goodies...

out of curiousity, what heatsink are you using for the 3.4 Prescott??

i think it's about time to ditch the silicon and manufacture processors with DIAMONDS!!
                          they won't melt...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...diamonds_x.htm

Beacuse I still had problems and slowdowns on 64 player maps when all settings are maxed out. Sound card makes a big difference too. I'm using external firewire card and frame rate (sound quality too) is cut to half when I switch to internal mobo integrated.
                          |TG|Bodark
                          96th Assault Group

Comment

I run AdAware and Spybot every month or so and have Norton AV running in the background. I tried shutting down the AV but it doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect.

I have 3 diff profiles, 1 maximizing performance running the least amt of services, BF2 runs the same as if I run on the slowest profile settings.

I'll try some of the suggestions yall have listed. Thanks for the help ;)

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

stopping services can be done with
                              Code:
                              net service stop
                              I think. Doesn't someone have a batch file that turns all unneeded services off and then one that turns them back on?

Getting an audigy 2 sometimes this week to whip up my FPS

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X