My lag sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My lag sucks

Since last Thursday I've been having bad lag problems.. not FPS, but network problems. Walk around like a rubberband is attached to me, have to aim at someone two or three times because the crosshair jumps around, really choppy when I fly... yadda yadda. But I'm too stubborn to sit out, so I play on anyways and make do. Just gotta stay off the front lines on the ground :(

I downloaded PingPlotter and let it run Tuesday night. Graph below is what I got.. I had to change the scale on the graph because several of the samples went above 500ms.

When I find one of the high ping samples, the problem seems to lie somewhere between my town and Dallas, but I know contacting Comcast is a waste of my time.. they'd just tell me to reset my cable modem or some such nonsense (tried reporting similar problems in the past..).

Hope "they" fix it soon so I can get back to playing normally :icon15:
    Last edited by perry; 06-28-2007, 09:09 PM.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Re: My lag sucks

phone em dude, have no idea what their service is like over there but you gotta let em know so they can get it fixed, i had some problems with the exchange in my area recently and it took a real kick up the arse to get my isp to fix it,

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Yeah I've been having the same problem lately. It seems to come in bursts... periods of decent quality followed by periods of rubbish. Connection problems every 15-30 seconds, everyone looking like they have epilepsy, etc. Very frustrating.
      Beatnik

Comment

I've noticed that the problem usually clears up after like 10:30 - 11:00 central time... heh, right around the time the servers empty out. Problem isn't related to just TG though, I try other servers at the same datacenter with similar results.

When I've given Comcast proof of a network problem before (traceroutes from both ends showing the connection dieing in their work), they told me to reset my modem and offered to send a truck out. Nothing the poor guy on the truck can do...

Beatnik, are you on Comcast? Anyone else on Comcast having similar problems?

Just looked around Comcast's forums and found someone else in my town also having troubles playing BF2 and mentioning similar symptoms. He said a truck was coming by on Monday but didn't come back to say what they did. They did some "upgrades" last Wednesday night, late, so noticing it on Thursday (like him) makes sense.
        Last edited by perry; 10-12-2005, 03:51 AM.
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

I used Comcast when hi-speed-"internets" first became available in indianapolis back in 1998 (on my pentium 166 Mhz, YES!!!), but as more and more people around me signed up, my download/upload speeds suffered to the point that i cancelled with them.

i now use Yahoo! DSL, and it's only $14.95/month for 1.5 Mbps, and $24.95/month
          for 3.0 Mbps, which is waaaaaaaay better than Comcast offered.

does SBC offer that DSL special up in the Muncie area??

Comment

When I get abnormal latency problems from Charter and I don't want to get the same response you got from tech support I post over at dslreports.com (great resource btw). This helps some of the time depending on who's browsing their forums. They've got a couple of tier 3 guys from my area that browse there and will check on things. If anything, someone might be able to let you know what's going on and if there are improvements on the way.

Comment

I feel for ya. A while back our internet connection got all funky. Being a network admin, and the other guys in the house completely clueless, I got to talk to the stellar tech support people. Slightly above Microsoft, about on par with Dell - not very good at all.

Anyway, the problem was with DNS resolution. I knew it before I even called because the names would not resolve to IP addresses, but we could still connect to games due them using IP addresses only and to websites using IP addresses. After fifteen minutes of the typical run-around she let it slip, "We've been having problems with our DNS servers." Amazing.

In your case it looks like a high amount of traffic is traveling over those nodes. You should try to get a sample around 3AM, if its fine then you know the route is overloaded during the evening.
              [age-c1][tog-c1][volun]

Comment

i am having network problems also..but it just seems to be with bf2. Get normal ping (50-70) for about 10 secs and then it jumps to around 300 for 20 secs. annoying...

Comment

I had the same problem...

A technician came and informed me that there is a packet loss on the the line. Next Morning, early early morning they called me and asked me if my internet was ok. Of course it is ok it is in the morning... The area was oversubscribed...

So I went to DSL which in my understanding guaratees the badwidth, instead of sharing with other people. Since everything got changed I could not be happier. And my monthly bill lowered as well..

Comment

Yeah I get the same problem also. Its really annoying. Every wee while everything freezes, or my apc veers off to the side.

Comment

My area is oversubscribbed so my gameplay suffers during peak hours... I get disconnects and such becuase of the latency in bf2.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner
                        My area is oversubscribbed so my gameplay suffers during peak hours... I get disconnects and such becuase of the latency in bf2.
                        Shiner I was having the same problems because I use Cable, with cox communications.
                        Several hours of phone calls and several service visits later they finally split the node and now I get my 5mbps instead of 600bps.

It took me weeks to convince them that there was actually a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 0b1one
                          Yeah I get the same problem also. Its really annoying. Every wee while everything freezes, or my apc veers off to the side.

That doesn't sound like a LAG problem .....

Try not drinking when you are driving!!! LOL :D
                          |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                          [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

I'm on comcast. Had the same issues with intermittent real bad ~300ms ping times. Last week it lasted a whole day otherwise there are just times where it's bad. On TG my ping is ~70ms usually, but can go down to 200+ms.
                            So called Comcast - lady says it's the modem. We should get a new one. I couldn't believe that, the modem is less than a year old and we have no other issues. So I called again, and that lady says there is nothing wrong with the modem it's probably the wiring to the house. She'll send a truck. No truck ever comes and comcast says there is no record. But now the severe problem is gone, so...

Comcast gives me 4mbps downloads which is great, but lately they've been getting worse and worse. It took them a week to adjust a filter that prevented us from going online. I think the SBC in the area only has 1.5mbps and may not be available on my house.

Comment

Ya, I agree with folks who say to call 'em. Throw your data at them and then keep on them. If they say they'll call you back in a few days, call them the next day "just to see how things are going". I've been on the other side of those phone calls and I can guarantee you that the best way of seeing a response is to annoy the hell out of them. (I worked in dealer support for a telecom company)

You don't need to get all upset with them or anything like that if it isn't in your personality. Just keep quietly nagging at them. Also keep asking the question "is there someone I can call who actually CAN help with this?" Eventually, you will be nagging someone's boss, and that's when the wheels really start turning. :)

You may never need to go this far. I once called my ISP over a similar problem and the guy on the line immediately checked and told me they had an overloaded link. The next day, it was fixed.
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X