Slow to load maps and verify?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow to load maps and verify?

(posted this in an old thread below, thought i'd give it a better title so someone may read it ;)

So this is the only thread I could find that mentions the same problem I'm seeing. After I select a server, and the map begins to load, everything slows down. The music playing in the backbround during the map load even drops into slow motion and gets distorted. Where it's really noticible is when the map has loaded and goes into the "verifying client files" phase (or whatever it says just before you get the join button). Sometimes I'm waiting around for more than 5 minutes to complete this.

Whats strange, is that this problem is not always consistant. In the past, the maps have loaded, and I've gotten onto the server quickly (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). This is what I'd call normal behavior. When it's working normally, the sound doesn't get distorted during the map loading. When I used to have this problem, I'd just reboot my PC and it would go away. Now for some reason, the slowness is back again, and I can't get it to go away. Windows says my hard drive doesn't need to be defragged. (i'm trying a re-install of BF2 now to see if that helps). UPDATE: the re-install didn't help at all... still starts to slow down right at 14% of the map loading...

Anybody else have this problem?

my system specs:
    -------------------
    Win XP Pro, sp2
    AMD 64 3000+
    1GB Ram
    SATA hard drive
    Radeon 9800 Pro - 128mb
    -------------------

Re: Slow to load maps and verify?

Actually it's been going quicker for me lately, I'm not too sure why.

Comment

So for whats it worth... This problem seemed to go away again. Can't say for sure why. If it helps anyone else out, here's what I did, though I don't think any of it is actually related:

Defreged my drive (even though it was only 6% fraged in the first place)
      Uninstalled the MS Intelipoint drivers for my wireless mouse.
      Rebooted

Comment

Loads of memory would help, I've got 3x512 DDR-RAM which helps out really good.

Things that might cause it to slow done: Programs like [email protected] (I've heard it was solved after the latest patch), antivirus (still have it on on mine) and firewalls (I allways shut mine off).
        Give it a try.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=561

We're doing well trying to figure this out, post if you have any ideas..thanks, i really want to fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by treaty
            (posted this in an old thread below, thought i'd give it a better title so someone may read it ;)

So this is the only thread I could find that mentions the same problem I'm seeing. After I select a server, and the map begins to load, everything slows down. The music playing in the backbround during the map load even drops into slow motion and gets distorted. Where it's really noticible is when the map has loaded and goes into the "verifying client files" phase (or whatever it says just before you get the join button). Sometimes I'm waiting around for more than 5 minutes to complete this.

Whats strange, is that this problem is not always consistant. In the past, the maps have loaded, and I've gotten onto the server quickly (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). This is what I'd call normal behavior. When it's working normally, the sound doesn't get distorted during the map loading. When I used to have this problem, I'd just reboot my PC and it would go away. Now for some reason, the slowness is back again, and I can't get it to go away. Windows says my hard drive doesn't need to be defragged. (i'm trying a re-install of BF2 now to see if that helps). UPDATE: the re-install didn't help at all... still starts to slow down right at 14% of the map loading...

Anybody else have this problem?

my system specs:
            -------------------
            Win XP Pro, sp2
            AMD 64 3000+
            1GB Ram
            SATA hard drive
            Radeon 9800 Pro - 128mb
            -------------------
            It sounds like you have a program in the background taking CPU cycles. Make sure firewall, antivirus etc is disabled. Make sure your computer is clean of spyware or adware.
            Hope that helps.
            |TG|Bodark
            96th Assault Group

Comment

how fast is your HD?
              |TG| aschmack

Comment

Try checking your harddisk for bad sectors: chkdsk /f /v C:
                on the OS drive this may require a reboot.
                My theory is that you have a bad sector on the drive that slows down the machine. When the HD has a problem the CPU may not be utilized while every process waits for the HD.
                I don't think manually updating punkbuster would work. You have to run pbweb.exe in a special folder in the BF2 installation - you'll find exactly how somewhere.
                If you have 2 monitors try running process explorer in the second monitor to see what is taking the CPU away (--> sysinternals.com - great site for monitoring tools). You could also get into filemon and regmon to see if there are excessive accesses.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X