Which is better DSL or cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better DSL or cable

I have cable but haven't been able to use it for about a month. Can't get Comcast to fix it. So I was wondering how DSL works with BF2 because I am seriously thinking about switching.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: Which is better DSL or cable

DSL is high speed data transmission over copper cables. The main limitation with DSL is the distance from the telephone company's central office (CO). This distance is measured in cable length, not in the physical distance from your house to the CO. Cables run along poles or are buried underground and thus dont run in a straight line. Distance will be a large factor if you live in a more rural area. The other limitation is the condition of the copper cables. Noise and data loss will hamper data communication the more degraded the wire. If you live in a more recently built area, this is less of a problem than living in an older area like New York City.

Over the years, the telephone companies have been increasing the speed of DSL so there is no longer a huge gap in performance with cable. You should be able to get at least 1MB speeds. DSL may also be cheaper than cable. Check with your local provider.

DSL and cable are just transmission technology. Other than performance (ie. ping), they dont have any effect on what game you are playing.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Comment

I use DSL and have for years.. I don't get the throughput that cable gives, but my pings are ALWAYS the same.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Depends so much on your location.

I've always had Road Runner cable. When we lived in town in a community of townhouses I had a decent number of problems and slowdowns.

Now that we live in a small town just outside the metro it is great. I get a solid 5/384 and have not had any problems at all. My pings to the TG servers are very good since Dallas isn't that far, at least not compared to some of you guys. :)

Comment

If your cable is not working well, you owe it to yourself to try DSL if it is available to you. If you live in a populated area, your cable problems could be oversubscription. DSL will clear that up a little and give you better pings.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

I'm on Comcast cable; it has worked perfectly for me for a few years.

Comment

As far as ping goes, routing is everything. While part of the routing to a server may be on your service providers backbone, the majority of it will be through other backbones. Regardless of whether or not you have cable or dsl, your latency is dependent on the routing between you and the server. If you have consistent ping to a server and one day you notice a large increase, run a trace route and take a look at the path your connection travels to the server. You should notice either one of the hops you are taking to that server is bad or your routing path has changed altogether.

Ping is most important for gaming, not the bandwidth. Just about anything labeled broadband can handle online games (so long as you're not running a server).

Comment

Thought I would post again for anyone who doesn't know how to run a trace route.

For Windows XP users:
                  Start Menu
                  -Run
                  -in "Run" type: cmd
                  This will bring you to the command prompt that looks like the old DOS interface

Now just type in: tracert www.tacticalgamer.com
                  (or replace www.tacticalgamer.com with another site or the server's ip or something)

It will give you a list of all the routers your packets get sent to for this destination and will return the pings for each.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X