Question for the smart guys:)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the smart guys:)

Ok I'm sure a lot of you guys are tired of me whining about my system problems and everytime I try something I think it has worked and it hasn't. I still have my problem as described in this thread http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=61047

My question is......I've heard that a lot of people have had some performance problems after installing the 1.03 patch. Could it be possible that the patch has tipped the balance of my power supply. I have a 350w power supply. This all started after installing the 1.03 patch.

Specs
    2.4c intel p4 800fsb
    1gb ram
    neo 2 mobo
    ati radeon 9600 sapphire atlantis 256mb video card

My processor is running at about 113 degrees give or take a degree and my freezing problem only occurs in BF2..abybody have any thoughts

Thanks
    Drizz
    sigpic

Re: Question for the smart guys:)

if it was overheating it would more than likley just restart, at what point does it lock up?

mine locked up all the time after the patch, updating punkbuster fixed that

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid
      My processor is running at about 113 degrees give or take a degree and my freezing problem only occurs in BF2..abybody have any thoughts

My thought is that your fan or heat sink is dusty. Try to clean your heat sink with an air can. Take off the fan and then blow the heat sink and the fan too.
      [TG-5th JTF] LuNiSiCx
      5th Joint Task Force

[squadl]
      [ma-c1][ma-c2]

Comment

It [i]could[/1] be too hot.. IMHO. That is Fahrenheit, right? 45 Celsius.
        BF2 will run up the temps as it will keep a fairly heavy load on a processor that size. You are not overclocking right? - That would add another possibility.

Typical heat effects on CPU will cause a freeze or a total dump - shutting off your PC unexpecedly. Heat effects on memory will freeze the PC and heat on the GPU will freez the PC with visible artifacts

If it isn't the heat, and it isn't O/C'd, I would next look into the power supply going bad. And last but not least, a power surge that occured on the MB from the PS or a static discharge will cause unstable conditions under specific circumstances

The symptoms you describe lead me along that path.

= P8 =
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xink
          if it was overheating it would more than likley just restart, at what point does it lock up?

mine locked up all the time after the patch, updating punkbuster fixed that
          It's very intermittent it crashes in heavily populated games and in small games, sometimes it crashes in the first five minutes of a game sometimes I can play 30mins to an hour maybe even more. I have updated punkbuster, that hasn't helped, I have uninstalled Bf2 and reinstalled, that didn't work, I have tested my memory, still nothing, I have renamed the BF2 file, nope still nothing, opened up case for cooling purposes, no help. I borrowed a 430watt power supply from a buddy but the main power is the wrong type so I have not changed my power supply yet. So I have started checking my video card out. I have updated my video card drivers but Fraps is telling me I am only running 20-30F.P.S in single player mode 8v8. Could this contribute to the problem? I'm running out of ideas and I'm sure people in the community are tired of me complaining but I son't know where else to turn. Thanks for all your time and efforts
          sigpic

Comment

Not enough power from your power supply may be possible. You may want to check the wattage. If you notice a dimming of lights on your PC or a slight power down when the crash happens, that may be the suspect.
            -33rd- BaneII
            Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Well guys I have beat my head against the wall trying to get this thing fixed. I think I have found the solution (besides the C4 option he he) I tried the power supply, went to a 430w Thermaltake and that didn't help so I finally figured that maybe it's a software issue....hmmmm what could it be? I cleaned my registry with registry mechanic because I finally realized that it only froze in multi-player mode. I THINK that might have fixed it. I played for about 1.5 hrs in Lucky shot's squad and seemed to be working fine not one freeze. I hope this is the end of this thread and my whining......Thanks to all who have tried to help with my computer.

Drizzid :)
              sigpic

Comment

First of all I am not familiar with the ati radeon 9600 sapphire atlantis 256mb video card. If the card is AGP based I would suggest turning off(disable) "AGP fastwrites" in your BIOS. This works good for removing intermittent hangs on Nvidia based boards. I know your card is not Nvidia but I would try it regardless.
                --
                VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Mentioned before about the heatsink yea man if thats 115f thats hot man. Not a complete overheating issue but seems to be enough to cause your game and/or system to freeze. My comp runs at 30C and when i play games its at 36-38C. Depending what the temp is in my house. I would really recommend getting a better heatsink or have. If not it could be the over all airflow and pressure inside your system. Alot of cases are build for max air flow with a intake fan in front and an exaust in the back. Some cases have other fan ports which can be used however you wish. My current set up is 120mm fan in front for intake. 120mm in back for exaust. 80mm on the side for intake that is near my Vid card so i bought 2 slot coolers. One to redirect the air coming from the side up towards my VGA heatsink. The other is on top of the card to suck out the air. To best way to test airflow is with a small smoke machine. Make it pump into the intake fan and if u have a clear window on the side of ur case thats great.because you need to see the smoke go out through back. If you see it stay inside your case you have a real bad problem with air circulation. Well i hope that helps. This paragraph could use some more struction and english 101 rules but Eh.

Comment

Heat could be your problem. I run 2 120's, intake and exhaust as Visser. I got an 80m on the side for exhaust but above it I have an air intake tube to my cpu. My temps are low. Make sure you have the airflow, if not you can cook things.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Check your thermal grease on the CPU-Heatsink coupling. Grease that has turned to gummy can act as a poor conductor of heat.

Az
                      [age-c1][command]

Comment

Thermal paste, and yeah. If the paste is messed up, clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and put more on. Careful when you do that though. You don't want to screw that up.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X