Spotting an enemy with a joystick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting an enemy with a joystick?

When flying a chopper I use a joystick, question is has anyone managed to bind spotting an enemy with a joystick ?

I can assign a button to bring up the menu, but only mouse button 1 seems to be able to select it ... :(

Re: Spotting an enemy with a joystick?

Try one of the coding sites, you can play around with the binds in the console and it lets you pick diffrent things. I would idealy have it spot everything i fired or pressed a key at once.

Comment

K, figured a way

THis little tool (joy2key) lets you bind keyboard / mouse keys to your joystick.

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key...%20Version.htm

I unbinded my joystick's primary trigger from bf2 helicopter settings

then in joy2key i set my trigger ( check joystick settings in controlpannel/game controllers for your key ) to bind to left mouse button.

So now i have a button on the joystick to open the Enemy Spotted menu and my fire trigger to select "enemy spotted". Handy dandy.

There 's also a way with this proggy to bind a key to mouse look and set your POV to work as a mouse to look around freelook style. Havent fiddled with that part yet.

Comment

My CH Products HOTAS setup allows this.
        It is able to emit mouse clicks with a button press, so I'm able to spot targets, as well as use the commo rose to give an attack order.
        When the button is pressed, it holds the commo-rose key, taps the left mouse button, and then releases the commo-rose key.
        "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
        - Lazarus Long

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
          My CH Products HOTAS setup allows this.
          It is able to emit mouse clicks with a button press, so I'm able to spot targets, as well as use the commo rose to give an attack order.
          When the button is pressed, it holds the commo-rose key, taps the left mouse button, and then releases the commo-rose key.
          How does the HOTAS handle while flying? I've been eyeing the Saitek X52 for a while, as my current joystick is dying.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
          |TG-2nd|munchkin
          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Sounds like you think I meant that there is a "HOTAS" joystick made by CH.
            I just used the generic term instead of typing Pro Throttle, Pro Rudder Pedals and Fighterstick - 3 separate components.

They handle real well.
            They're not the most attractive or perhaps ergonomic sticks, but the configuration software is absolutely top-notch. You can do ANYTHING with it.
            And the number/types of switches they have is very sensible.

Contrast that with my last encounter with Saitek's setup - they have too many rotor axes, weirdly-grouped buttons, and Saitek's software has always been absolute shiite. Dunno if it's gotten better or not.
            Very cool-looking sticks/throttle, tho.
            "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
            - Lazarus Long

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
              Sounds like you think I meant that there is a "HOTAS" joystick made by CH.
              I just used the generic term instead of typing Pro Throttle, Pro Rudder Pedals and Fighterstick - 3 separate components.

They handle real well.
              They're not the most attractive or perhaps ergonomic sticks, but the configuration software is absolutely top-notch. You can do ANYTHING with it.
              And the number/types of switches they have is very sensible.

Contrast that with my last encounter with Saitek's setup - they have too many rotor axes, weirdly-grouped buttons, and Saitek's software has always been absolute shiite. Dunno if it's gotten better or not.
              Very cool-looking sticks/throttle, tho.
              Awesome - Dunno how much I'd use the Saitek, I wanted it more for its looking cool purposes. Maybe come Christmas I'll get my grubby paws onto those pedals and a yoke for flight sim purposes. T'would be interesting to see how well they work with BF2.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
              |TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by devilman
                K, figured a way

THis little tool (joy2key) lets you bind keyboard / mouse keys to your joystick.

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key...%20Version.htm
                That reminds me. Check out this thread for some tips on using that program to setup mouselook with the hat key. I saw it a week or two ago but haven't gotten around to messing with it.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by devilman
                  When flying a chopper I use a joystick, question is has anyone managed to bind spotting an enemy with a joystick ?

I can assign a button to bring up the menu, but only mouse button 1 seems to be able to select it ... :(
                  The bind for this can be set to what ever you want. Check in your controls.con, there should be something like this

Code:
                  ControlMap.create defaultGameControlMap
                  ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_GIOk IDFMouse IDButton_0 0 0
                  ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_GIAltOk IDFMouse IDButton_1 0 0
                  c_GIOk controls the simple 'spotted', and c_GIAltOk the menu where you can select the type. Just change the bind to a button on your joystick. And you can still keep in the regular mouse binds for when you're stuck on the ground, although in that case you might want to change the last '0' to a '1' to indicate a secondary bind for it.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                    Awesome - Dunno how much I'd use the Saitek, I wanted it more for its looking cool purposes. Maybe come Christmas I'll get my grubby paws onto those pedals and a yoke for flight sim purposes. T'would be interesting to see how well they work with BF2.
                    I have a Saitek Cybord EVO Flight Stick, use default windows drivers and I love it, campared to my 2 past logitechs which died within a year.

You can adjust positions of your thumb buttons and palm rest, it's pretty confortable. I just need to duct tape it to my desk so i stop hitting the f2 button with my keyboard when i panic. :)

Comment

I have the x52, works a little too good just for bf2 use. But it is awesome, it has a built in mouse "nipple" and a click. So u can spot stuff with it too, Its a top notch joystick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X