Resolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolution

I'm just wondering what everyone is running BF2 at?

I've got a new Dell 2005FPW on the way this week, which I won't be able to run native because BF2 does not support widescreen, but I want to run close to native at 16x12 if possible. I just want to see what everyone else is running at with what settings and performance before I start benching mine with the new monitor.

Currently, I run at 1024x768 2xAA, 4xAF and maintain well over 60FPS ( I can go to 4xAA but rarely I get unsettling drops in large firefights). Anyone else push above this with good results?

Here are my specs, nothing really high range:

AMD64 3500+
    6800GT @410/1.13
    2GB RAM

I'm hoping to bump up the the rez a bit more to at least minimize the black bars on the side.

Thanks

Re: Resolution

jaymind, I think you can run BF2 widescreen if you manually edit the Video.con file and input the resolution you want. BF2's menus won't be widescreen, but once you enter the game itself it should run in the widescreen resolution you specify. I looked into it a while back -- lemme see if I can find the info.

EDIT: I can't view this at work for some reason, but this is the site I found that had all sorts of widescreen gaming info and help listed. Lemme know if it helps....

EDIT 2: Found some more info here. The last post is especially informative. I dunno if you can get true widescreen with BF2 (with the FoV adjusted), but you might get something decent that eliminates the black sidebars.

EDIT 3: Oh, and I run at 1024x768 on Medium detail, with no AA or AF. My system specs:

P4 2.4 GHz (800MHz FSB)
    1 GB RAM
    6600GT AGP (unmolested ;))

I get decent framerates, with occasional drops and chop.

Comment

I run all details at medium, 800x600, on a P4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB 1 gig PC3200 RAM and a Radeon 9600.

Comment

Its a good question I looked a lot for advice on too (and didn't find much that had a clear answer I could understand (thats not saying much!)).

I run on a widescreen laptop (a dell 9300) 1.6 Pentium M, 2G Ram, Geforce Go 6800 (overclocked just a little) on a 17in ws (that has a native max of 1449 X 900) and use all medium except lighting, dynamic light and texture filtering which I set to low, and use 2X aa (not sure how I ended up with these, but I get great fps and it works so I stopped tinkering - on the lighting I found the laptop screen is naturally darker than my desktop and I felt like I was always straining to try and see, even in what should have been well lit areas, so I set it to low and it helps on the eyes (seems counter-intuitive).

This all said, to get to your questions, I run it at 1280 x 800 via the command line: "c:\program files\ea games\battlefield 2\BF2.exe"+menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1280 + +szy 800 and set my video driver to scale to fit. I've gotten to where I would prefer to play ont he laptop than the desktop now - plus the wife feels like I am actually paying attention to her since I can sit on the couch with her - even with the headset on...
        |TG|Schemer
        96th Assault Group

Comment

Originally posted by schemer
          I've gotten to where I would prefer to play ont he laptop than the desktop now - plus the wife feels like I am actually paying attention to her since I can sit on the couch with her - even with the headset on...
          LOL :icon14:

Good info, schemer. jaymind, hopefully all this'll get you where you wanna be.

Comment

That'll help. Thanks guys.

Comment

I have the same monitor. Your solution is to use the command line method that schemer is talking about. Read this thread for a good discussion on the topic. Most of the people there own one of the two Dell WS monitors.

On my 2005FPW, I'm running at its native res(1680x1050), 2xAA, 2xAF, medium to high settings. PC is a [email protected] 3.3 , X850XT, 1GB ram. I hardly ever drop below 40fps...
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I run 1024x768 @85hz on a 17" samsung monitor. Good ole faithful, running 6 years strong now.

PC = Athlon64 3200, x850XT at PE+ speeds, 2 GB OCZ Platinum EL. I usually run 55-60fps, which seems to be the max BF2 runs at? Seems like it's locked in at that rate, can anyone confirm?
                |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

I think I'll try it at it's native rez tonight and see how it goes. I don't think I'll have to turn anything down to much in the config. If I can get a nice steady frame rate I'll be happy.

Thanks guys.

Comment

jaymind, you should be able to turn up AA to 4x. My older computer is a P4 3.2ghz, 6600GT 128mb, and 2gb Kingston rams which is not much better than your 6800GT and 3500+, but I can turn everything high including AA to 4x at 1024x768

[cross][conduct]
                    Remember: "Eddie Chiang is always cooler than the other side of your pillow."

Comment

Well, I gave native rez a shot tonight at my current settings: Everything high, but textures to medium and lights to medium. I usually get around 40 with dips to 30 but usually not lower. If I crank it down to 1440x900 or 1280x800 and scale to fit I usually run 60FPS steady with a little worse quality picture.

I'll have to play with it some more, maybe crank it to 1440x900 4xAA AF at high and see what happens.

Thanks

Comment

After reading a bit in the thread Strag pointed out above I set my cmd-line options to +widescreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200 (in BF2Autoloader's config) --- that seems to work quite nice on my HP L2335. I don't notice anything cut off. Maybe the minimap and the comm-rose are not quite as round, more elliptic.

Most everything is set to medium except geometry (high) and 2xAA.
                        I have the XFX 7800GT and a AMD 3200+ on 2GB of memory.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
                          Most everything is set to medium except geometry (high) and 2xAA.
                          I have the XFX 7800GT and a AMD 3200+ on 2GB of memory.
                          OMG dude you should EASILY be able to do far far higher then this, I got 1GB, 6800GE and 4XAA and I still got most on high with around 50fps

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                          BF2142 Names:
                          Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                          Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                          Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                          Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Remember, Marstein is running it at widescreen resolution. Thierry, if yours is smaller, then you'll get a better frame rate.

Comment

Well, I decided to drop mine down a bit to 1400x900 from 1680x1050. 1680x150 was just to much with 2xAA and 4xAF - I would manage 30-40 mostly, avg around 32.

At 1400x900 I get an avg of around 55 with same settings (everything high but lights).

I frigg'in love this LCD though - best pruchase ever! Now I'm just waiting until the next round of video card releases and I'll upgrade from my 6800GT and probably be able to run most everything at native.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X