Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserve slot message....

could be changed I think.

While looking through the client files I found the file English_Patch.utxt in:
    C:\Games\BF2\mods\bf2\Localization\English

This holds text in variables such as the the English.utxt folder, well one of these is:
    LOCERROR_reservedslots Server is full! Your name is not on this server's reserved slots list, and all non-reserved slots are taken.

Changing it client side won't do anything but would it be possible to change the reserved slot code to use LOCERROR_reservedslots in English_Patch.utxt instead of LOCERROR_kicked in English.utxt
    Last edited by Preston85; 11-30-2005, 09:51 PM.

Re: reserve slot message....

Yeah, I dont know about the coding and such, but i do know that other servers use this message. I have had them pop up on me on random pubbie servers. So, I would assume that it would be a bit better to use instead of the standard kick message.
    Nice find though.
    Focused

Comment

There is a inbuilt reserved slot system, but you have to manually add each member. (I found the file for it which got me thinking)

With such a large community at TG I think it's better to keep the existing system but use the message from the built in system.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85
        could be changed I think.

While looking through the client files I found the file English_Patch.utxt in:
        C:\Games\BF2\mods\bf2\Localization\English

This holds text in variables such as the the English.utxt folder, well one of these is:
        LOCERROR_reservedslots Server is full! Your name is not on this server's reserved slots list, and all non-reserved slots are taken.

Changing it client side won't do anything but would it be possible to change the reserved slot code to use LOCERROR_reservedslots in English_Patch.utxt instead of LOCERROR_kicked in English.utxt
        It doesn't use either right now. I've not had the chance to tinker since the new patch; despite my dream that the holidays would slow my RL work, lawyers have popped up needing things in stupidly small timeframes. Such is life. :(

I'll look shortly. Or maybe if icky is bored, he can look.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Point me in the direction of the code on wiki (I did search here for the topic I saw it in but searching for reserved, kick, slots but didn't find the right topic.) cos I can't use that page well, there doesn't seem to be any content menu or sensible navigation.

I'm a university computing student so should be able to understand it at least. (I know C, VB, perl, c++, c#, as well as most of the net ones)

Ta for the reply anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston85
            Point me in the direction of the code on wiki (I did search here for the topic I saw it in but searching for reserved, kick, slots but didn't find the right topic.) cos I can't use that page well, there doesn't seem to be any content menu or sensible navigation.

I'm a university computing student so should be able to understand it at least. (I know C, VB, perl, c++, c#, as well as most of the net ones)

Ta for the reply anyway.
            The reserved slot code has not been shared with the world via the wiki (the squadless kick has, as well as [I think] the autobalance). I don't have particular plans to do so, either.

If you're interested in the coding, hunt through the ModManager files they have over at www.bf2cc.com. Those will give you a head start on what's going on under the hood.

There's also a modding sub-community here (led by icky), if you want to try to jump in. I may share the code there (if Tempus and/or Apo give me the OK, and I remember to ask :) ). Python is pretty simple; if anything, your knowledge of other languages might be a HINDERANCE. :)
            [volun2]
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

Python? Shesh, didn't feel I had to mention that language! ewwwww

Ok, didn't realise it hadn't been released, i'll have a look around that place but was only really interested in seing if the TG reserve slot code could include that message.

Ta for the info.

p.s. Mod section as in Map and Modding section under BF2? I'm already active in there.

Comment

Tried using pb_sv_kick?

Did you try using the PunkBuster kick command instead of the built-in BF2 admin command? pb_sv_kick takes one to four arguments, like:

PB_SV_Kick [name or slot #] [minutes] [displayed_reason] | [optional_private_reason]

Only the name or slot# is mandatory, but as you can see, the third argument is a string containing the reason the player was kicked. This string will be shown to the player after he's kicked, and will remain on-screen until acknowledged (by clicking "OK). The "minutes" field can safely be set to zero if the kick isn't meant to keep a player away from the server for some period of time (which would apply for a make-room-for-SM-kick)

Now, I've got plenty of experience with PunkBuster and games based on the id software engines, but unfortunately no clue at all (yet) about the BF2 server system. Therefore I can only suggest you tinker with the Python scripts, using this command and see what it does. In case you're using (modified) ModManager scripts, looking at the kick_player_now method in mm_utils.py would seem like a good place to start.

One thing to keep in mind: on all the games I've seen so far, the PunkBuster player slot number equals the game's native player slot number plus one. So player # 0 in BF2 will get slot # 1 in PunkBuster. I have tested this with player # 0 only, so I am not certain that this also applies to all higher-numbered slots; this should be tested.

HTH.
                <insert signature spam here>

Comment

I'm sure theres pleanty of ways to do it in-theory but we don't know how the TG method works, although i'm sure Pokerface can do it when he gets time.

So i'll just say Good Luck and stop questioning about it, give you a bit more time to sort other things out.

Comment

FYI, this is an example of how such a message would look:

<insert signature spam here>

Comment

Just a note on the kicking for SM thing, I kept an eye out for it last night and every time the player is kicked/disconnected before the in-game reason is displayed. I got this all the time as a non-SM, my gameplay would freeze for 5 seconds or so, then I would get the default 'kicked for excessive teamkilling' message

example (not an exact quote) :

Player X has been Disconnected from Server
                      KICKING! Player X for Supporting Member! See Tacticalgamer.com for details!

Is it not possible to reverse this order?
                      |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
                        Just a note on the kicking for SM thing, I kept an eye out for it last night and every time the player is kicked/disconnected before the in-game reason is displayed. I got this all the time as a non-SM, my gameplay would freeze for 5 seconds or so, then I would get the default 'kicked for excessive teamkilling' message

example (not an exact quote) :

Player X has been Disconnected from Server
                        KICKING! Player X for Supporting Member! See Tacticalgamer.com for details!

Is it not possible to reverse this order?
                        Odd. In the script, they're IN the reverse order (statement first, then kick).
                        [volun2]

Comment

I consider this one of those "bugs" that EA won't even acknowledge, let alone fix.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

the script can't asynchronously generate in-game messages?

edit: I mean, in the script, the command that kicks has an accompanying "reason" field... before you call that, isn't there some other "dummy-command" that could be called (solely because it also generates an in-game message)?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                              the script can't asynchronously generate in-game messages?

edit: I mean, in the script, the command that kicks has an accompanying "reason" field... before you call that, isn't there some other "dummy-command" that could be called (solely because it also generates an in-game message)?
                              In the script, there are two distinct commands: message, and then kick. In that order.
                              [volun2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X