Here's how to connect despite stats server being down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's how to connect despite stats server being down

Okay, the reason why people either cannot log into BF2 today, or the process taking forever, is that the Gamespy stats server seems to be terminally overloaded. But who needs stats anyway, right? So let's just bypass the thing and play, shall we?

Here's what to do:
    1. Open your hosts file in Notepad. By default, your hosts file can be found in %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS (where %WINDIR% is the directory Windows is installed in).
    2. At the bottom of your hosts file, add the following line:
      Code:
      127.0.0.1	bf2web.gamespy.com
    3. Save your hosts file
    4. Open a command prompt by running CMD.EXE, and enter the following command:
      Code:
      IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
    5. That's it. Now go and play BF2.

Note: whenever the stats server comes back to life, just remove that line you added to restore the in-game stats functionality.

HTH.
    <insert signature spam here>

Re: Here's how to connect despite stats server being down

It's hard to see, but there IS a space in that first bit of code.

127.0.0.1 bf2web.gamespy.com

:D

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

It works! You are a genius! Would you let us know how you found that out?

Doesn't this mean that there is like a 5 minute timeout for accessing the statistics server? Why wouldn't they do that in a separate thread and if this fails just let us know that statistics are down (again)??

Comment

LOL

Their stats server is a dog.

BTW, a similar trick used on a server gives everyone all unlocks.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

not working for me
          anything else to look for?
          I double check and repeated the above steps to make sure it was done properly

With this being done I login like usual?

"An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bull****." - General George Patton Jr

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
            It works! You are a genius! Would you let us know how you found that out?
            You're welcome. :) What I did was just a basic Ethereal capture of the client-server traffic and an analysis of the data.

I noticed that the client is contacting two master servers before connecting to the game server: the first one is the account server (to which your nick, password, id and email is sent), and the second one is the stats server. The account server is working properly, but the stats server is having issues. I noticed that the client was connecting to it, and that the server acknowledged that connect (so it is up), but that the the HTTP request for the stats data went unanswered. This indicates that the web application servicing the stats data is down, but that the web server itself is up.
            Doesn't this mean that there is like a 5 minute timeout for accessing the statistics server? Why wouldn't they do that in a separate thread and if this fails just let us know that statistics are down (again)??
            My best guess is that the client only knows how to handle a stats server that is down completely (i.e. does not respond at all). In the curent situation, a socket does get opened to the server, so the client is just waiting for data that never arrives.
            <insert signature spam here>

Comment

Gotta pay homage on that. Mucho rep, amigo.
              -33rd- BaneII
              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

+rep I hate having to 'log in' just to open the game.
                Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                  +rep I hate having to 'log in' just to open the game.
                  If there's just a few servers you play on, and always use the same profile, you can create a custom shortcut that takes you right into that server, bypassing the server browser. The same trick is used by All-Seeing Eye (a 3rd party server browser now distributed by Yahoo) to connect directly to the chosen server.

Technical details:

http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/thr...threadid=10523
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

You mean I can have desktop shortcut that connects me to server 1, for example? How?
                    I understood everything and actuualy used these tips when using Xfire. But I dont anymore. Is a desktop shortcut possible? Double click and im on the server?

Comment

Is this why it takes 4+ minutes for me to the BF2 main menu after launching it from my desktop shortcut?

If i make this change, what functionality do i lose?
                      |TG-1stMIP| Ransack

Comment

I got the part working where you skip the login but I can't get it to launch straight to a a server. I pretty much only play on the TG servers so having 2 shortcuts that go straight there would be a big time saver.

Here is my shortcut:
                        "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +username Wimpinator +playerPassword password + 70.86.19.218

What am I doing wrong?
                        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator
                          I got the part working where you skip the login but I can't get it to launch straight to a a server. I pretty much only play on the TG servers so having 2 shortcuts that go straight there would be a big time saver.

Here is my shortcut:
                          "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +username Wimpinator +playerPassword password + 70.86.19.218

What am I doing wrong?
                          Something like this should do it:
                          Code:
                          "D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +playername |TG|perry +playerPassword asdfjkl +joinServer 70.86.19.218 +port 16567
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                            Something like this should do it:
                            Code:
                            "D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +playername |TG|perry +playerPassword asdfjkl +joinServer 70.86.19.218 +port 16567
                            *gasp* I KNOW PERRY'S PASSWORD!!!!

[/sarcasm]
                            |TG| aschmack

Comment

Perry,

That worked perfectly! Thanks for the help.
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X