Router and DSL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router and DSL

I have Linksys 4 port wired router and using DSL. I cannot play using the router. With the router hooked up and working, I start bf2 and get to the place where it logs into EA and just hangs. I hook straight to the DSL modem and everything works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: Router and DSL

do you have your router set up to allow that port to be accessd. and do you have a firewall on your PC up and running
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Turn OFF your windows firewall.

right click my computer then hunt around

Comment

BF2 works fine through my router without any ports open. It's probably something else.

Comment

Turning off the firewall temporarily for testing is ok. Turning it off permanently is not.

What model and version of router? (Should say on the sticker on the bottom.) I'm running fine with a WRT54G running Sveasoft Satori firmware. (I need to update it to the new Sveasoft Talisman firmware.)

I've seen others report this problem but it still makes no sense. Perhaps someone here who's run Ethereal during a connection can enlighten us on what's going wrong.

During login you connect to GameSpy's auth server and to their rank information server (a web server). No special router settings should be needed for either.

Try this link:

http://bf2web.gamespy.com/

You should get an empty document because it refuses to send data if you don't send the right "user agent", but it will at least accept the connection. (This is the rank info server that tells BFHQ what to show.)
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Model is Broadband Firewall Router with 4-port switch/vpn endpoint. Model BEFSX41 ver.2

Somebody said something about enabling a port. Which port?

Thanks Guys for your input.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...rticle&sid=394

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14157650
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thanks ScratchMonkey I will give this a try.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't think it's a port thing since ports usually don't come into the picture unless you are hosting. Plus, I would think it if it was Windows Firewall it should fail regardless of whether the router is in the picture.

Does all other internet activity work with the router in place? Is it only BF2 that fails?

Comment

Yes just BF2 fails. I can play COD2 without any problems.
                    The Old Guy
                    kin3
                    sigpic

Comment

Weird. I've always had D-Link or currently Netgear products so I'm not familiar with Linksys stuff. I guess maybe it does sound like for that particular model a port needs to be opened to communicate with the EA account server.

Or maybe the router firewall has been modified? Have you tried resetting to factory?

Comment

For troubleshooting purposes, you might enable the DMZ mode for the ip of the computer you have the game running on. If it works then, you know you have to configure the ports/firewall of the actual router for sure.

If it doesn't work, you might have a situation where that router is not going to let you play through it.. I had this problem with that exact router trying to get Madden to work. In the end I gave up, not to get your hopes down (there is always hope!)
                        |TG|Schemer
                        96th Assault Group

Comment

Thanks guys, I hope to have some time soon to work on it.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic

Comment

FIXED!

I used some of the links ya'll provided and I downloaded latest firmware and it work like a charm.

Thanks all,
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed