major problem...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• major problem...

I was playin some bf2 tonight like always and right in the middle of a good game of shongue (sp?) there was a huge crash of like a trasformer blowing outside and my whole computer made a *zzzztt!!* sound and everything shut off. It turned right back on but it wont boot.

I tried puttin dif cd's in trying to get it to go into one of them but nothing. It wont let me go into bios, safe start or anything. It just says -

"system32/windows/system file is missing or corrupt. Please insert window setup disk and hit (R) to repair" i did and still got the same msg.

I live in NJ and were havin a pretty bad storm right now which prolly brought down the transformer. Wierd thing is the power is still on. Im thinkin it shorted something out if thats possible.

This sucks MAJOR gonads since i practically live on my computer and now i dont have it. (using my sisters to type this) Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I really don know what to do. I think its trashed *cry* Although thank god i was planning on buildin a new one soon. Looks like it might have to sooner than expected....
    Last edited by Snail88; 12-15-2005, 10:07 PM.

Re: major problem...

Ouch.

Sorry to hear this.

I've got nothing helpful.

Good luck.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It's strange that you can't get into the bios. Are you sure you're doing that step right?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

If you can't even get into BIOS, you probably have a mobo problem. Try resetting the CMOS battery and checking for any blown capacitors. Try your hard drive in a friend's computer, perhaps.

Comment

Data on your hard drive is corrupt, but you should be able to get in BIOS and boot from Windows disk. You will probably have to get in BIOS to enable boot from CD first. Make sure you are trying the right keystroke combination to enter BIOS. After that, boot from Windows CD and select recovery console. You can find a complete list of recovery console commands here http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...sole_cmds.mspx
          First, try chkdsk command, then fixboot and fixmbr as the last option. Try Google for more info on recovery console.
          |TG|Bodark
          96th Assault Group

Comment

If you can't get your cd rom to boot you can go to Bootdisk.com and download xp boot disks. you will need 6 floppys and make sure you mark them in order and put first diskette in your A drive and start the computer and follow the instructions. Goodluck man hope you get it fixed
            sigpic

Comment

If you forgot to set it to boot from CD first, you can always unplug your HD. It doesn't sound like a mobo problem because it is booting windows(it's just corrupted)
              |TG| aschmack

Comment

thanx for the help guys. I know im pressing the right key for bios (F2). Im gonna try resetting the CMOS battery and maybe try out my harddrive in another comp. If i could get into BIOS or boot sequence id be set cuz then i could actually do something lol The way it is now all i can do is turn it off and turn it on again. Thanx for the help guys, i really appreciate it. Hopefully i can get this bugger workin, if not, time to fork out the dough...

Comment

The same type of problem happened w/ my secondary computer, i had to reset cmos battery, and sorry to say re-install windows. But it did work, sorry if you have to do this!!

Comment

Transformer blew in your neighborhood. You didn't have power conditioning / battery back-up between your stuff and the wall? If your CMOS and BIOS resets don't work - start replacing stuff. Having mediocre power protection is also likely to be bypassed in a power-event of that type on your lines.

Personally I would start with the Power Supply - that is your last line of defense before the really nasty stuff. Swap the PS.. next the Mainboard.. you should get results at this stage.. if not, go on to memory, Video card, CPU, drives.. and so on..

OH - remove EVERYTHING that is not required to boot your PC during the trouble shooting process.. if you have onboard video, switch to that and take out the Vidcard.. same with sound and so on. FOr memory go to 1 stick and if you have two.. try it once with the 1st one and then again swapping with the 2nd.

High-quality power conditioning is your best bet to prevent long term flaky-ness and problems with your PC - stick with the good stuff.. it REALLY does make a difference.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snail88
                      thanx for the help guys. I know im pressing the right key for bios (F2). Im gonna try resetting the CMOS battery and maybe try out my harddrive in another comp. If i could get into BIOS or boot sequence id be set cuz then i could actually do something lol The way it is now all i can do is turn it off and turn it on again. Thanx for the help guys, i really appreciate it. Hopefully i can get this bugger workin, if not, time to fork out the dough...
                      The Delete Key may be your BIOS key? Tried that? F8 is sometimes a boot-selector that may help. F4 is commonly for the BIOS RAID set-up - if you have that. All these keys vary from manuf. to manuf.. but I've noticed those keys are very common.
                      sigpic

Comment

If you get that error snail, you should be able to get into BIOS. It would throw that error after the BIOS loads as it trys to start windows. Getting that error means your HD is probably fubar, but your computer is booting ok.

Comment

Maybe not fubar, but at least fu. :p Once you get into the BIOS, you can get a device list to see if the disk reports its manufacturer and model number correctly. That would tell you if the controller card on the drive is still alive. You can listen to or feel the drive to see if it spins up. You can then boot from other media and try to repair scribbled data to recover the partitions.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thanx for everything guys. I actually got it to go into BIOS finally and i got it to boot from cd. After many dif tries, i finally found something that worked. Dont ask me what it was i actually dont know lol. Ive been workin on it for the better part of 2 days, swappin parts out and changing options in the BIOS...seemed like it was hopeless. But i finally got it to work. I was just starting to go into bf2 withdrawl too lol. Thanks again guys.

See you on the field!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X