No announcement yet.

Additional RAM question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional RAM question

Ok so my system is aging somewhat and I've considered RAM as a simple and very inexpensive upgrade.

Here are my specs:
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    Geforce 6600 GT
    2 x 512 DDR 2700 RAM

What I would like to do is buy an additional stick of RAM that will work well if I do a complete system overhaul next summer moving to pci-e and a X2 processor. This means I would likely want to buy a 3200 or 4000 DDR stick.

My question is will the 1 gig stick of 3200 or 4000 DDR work in the third slot on my motherboard next to the existing slower RAM?

Will there be a performance penalty for using these other than the loss of the dual channel configuration?

Do you think having this additional memory would improve bf2?

Re: Additional RAM question

There won't be a problem mixing RAM rated for different speeds for the most part. Your 3200 or 4000 will run at 2700. You could run all of it at higher than 2700 but it depends on how much you can overclock the older RAM.

More RAM will help if you have a lot of stuttering in BF2. I don't see much improvement with load times or framerates.

- It's who you game with.

In terms of BF2, I found that faster RAM (I use OCZ Platinum at 2-3-2-5) is far more valuable than more RAM as long as you have at least 1GB. So, if you're going to buy some more RAM that you're looking to re-use in a future machine, I'd recommend some nice fast stuff.

Really, BF2 is one of those RAM intensive games. A gig does me just fine, but then again i'm running 2 6800 overclocked GeForce cards... anyways, i would recomend one of two things,
        Spend on adding another stick to the next slot
        purchase a GeForce 6800 GT online for a little more, its not too expensive, esp if you shop around, and the preformance boost will be quiet nice.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed