No announcement yet.

Opinions on hard drive and a new build.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on hard drive and a new build.

Hi guys,

I will be "building" a new rig around tax time and I have a question I hope someone can help me with. My budget is about $550. I know...not much to work with...but anyway.

My situation is this...I've assembled some possible builds on Newegg....If I go socket 939 there is not enough money left to get a new hard drive for the system...The 939 system would include new everything EXCEPT hard drive, sound card and optical drives. I would use my existing hard drive, sound card and optical drives. The thing is the hard drive is a 5400rpm maxtor...Ultra-ATA/100.

If I build a new socket 754 build I can also include a SATA hard drive in the build. So here's my main question.....can I build a socket 939 system and use that old hard drive??? I would like to go 939...but it's not a deal breaker.

thanks.

Chappie

Re: Opinions on hard drive and a new build.

I'd go 939 and upgrade to an SATA hard drive later on. You won't notice a boost in performance from IDE to SATA unless you are using a 10,000 RPM drive anyway. So I would get the nice processor and upgrade to an SATA if you want later. Just make sure that the motherboard you get has SATA on it as I find that onboard is better than a PCI card adapter.

Make sense?

Comment

Hey FishRoy,

Yea, that makes sense..thanks alot...knowing my luck I'll use the old drive, get everything together and the thing will crap out on me!! LOL

Cya,
      Chappie

Comment

I'd agree with FishRoy. Get the 939 and save up for a new hard drive.

[at][unit]

Comment

I noticed a huge difference going from a 5400RPM PATA drive to a 7200RPM SATA drive.. I attribute much of that difference to the 5400RPM vs 7200RPM difference, rather than PATA vs SATA.

939 should be a deal breaker, IMO.

Computer upgrades are addictive. You'll end up w/ a new drive no matter what you say now anyways ;)
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Im selling a Gigabyte ga-k8ns-939 Motherboard look it up. Great freaking board. I just wanted to get a new system for SLI so now i have the asus a8n-sli deluxe with 2 xfx 7800gt's

give me a holla about that mobo its great mobo used it for only about 3 months and i have everything that came with it box, manual, cd's, cables, sticker.
            Dont Follow A Path....Make One....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X