The more people playing the more lag/choke I get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more people playing the more lag/choke I get

only notice it on your server, but as the server starts to fill, my framerate drops when theres action on the screen...

any idea's? no spyware or anything here, BF2 may need a reinstall unless its something I'm just missing...

I have all my video settings low jsut to check video but that aint it
    "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
    "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Re: The more people playing the more lag/choke I get

Please give us the details of your system. My first guess would be it's CPU, memory, or both.
    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

another thing where you at paladan...geographically.....i believe the servers are in texas....
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

I'd guess it's either CPU or memory like Keith guessed, or even the video card; your computer just has trouble rendering all that stuff onscreen at once, and that would be exacerbated by the server and the kind of connection you get to it.

Comment

Processor type Intel Pentium 4 w/HT
          Processor speed 3200 MHz
          RAM installed 512 MB
          Dimensions (WxDxH) 35.9 x 27.4 x 5.08 cm
          System weight 4.11 kg
          Display size 15.4 in.
          Graphics chipset ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
          Internal spinning media drives HDD, DVD+RW
          Hard disk capacity 60 GB
          Hard disk rotation speed 7200 rpm

Net Connection: Bellsouth xDSL (3Meg down) thru Linksys Router (only computer on the net at the time)

I doubt its the net connection as I've done thigns liek fire rockets in the helo and they have hit and killed their target before it renders it...

the trick is I've not had this problem since I've owned the game.... perhaps its something thats started with the last patch (I haven't played alot latly)

about the only thing I did with the system itself recently that I can think of is uninstall the .NET framework v1.1 and installed the latest microsoft update

I'm wondering if I need to open this baby up and see if it needs a good dusting...

Why do I game on a laptop??? because I'm self employeed computer tech :) and its not me gaming on a laptop, its me gaming on my work machine ;)

Comment

As I recall the last BF2 patch did affect FPS performance for a lot of folks.

You are the computer tech...but I would guess you'd need to beef up your ram to at least 1 Gb...I belive many of us may have 2 gigs of ram installed, as I do...can you do 2Gbs with a laptop...I don't even know

Good luck
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Try some of the tips on this link:

http://bf2lag.b0x.com/top5tips.html

I turned down how often Punkbuster checked and that helped me quite a bit.

Comment

Definitely try adding RAM.
                |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

this laptop can take upto a gig... but it would require me ditching the sticks already in it... (2*256) I'll look into that fps article...

I've been overcomming the problem some by taking command, but even in the ommand screen I get some delays

Comment

I would bump up the ram. Bf2 needs a gig or better to run good.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

naw I've been running fine since the game came out, you jsut have to keep the textures low if you have 512 ram...

I think I located the problem... when I opened up one of the 3 rear fans on this laptop (I think its the video fan due to its size) I found that the heatsink was completely blocked by dust, only the minimal airflow would have been getting over them...

since applying the tweeks and restarting I played a 64 man server just fine, I'll test on the TG server this evenin....

thanks for the assists guys, that was a nice link page... I think my framerates have improved some due to it (not just the dust alone)

Comment

yer played on the seerver today with 32+ men and was not experencing the same problem...

I might open my laptop all the way and give it a full cleanin

Comment

I get the same problem only occasionally and only on TG servers. The practice server (where we hold the minicamps) is the WORST!!! I get consant tearing and Teamspeak problems with as little as THREE other people on it! It aint my system either cuz with 6GB RAM, Dual CPU's, and SLI it should be an issue.

|TG-Irr|March4revenge
                          Turning into swiss cheese, one bullet at a time.

Comment

Then the answer is easy: the server. It just can't handle that many people. Either deal with it or convince people to become Supporting Members and convince the TG guys to upgrade their BF2 servers to more powerful machines.

Comment

I highly doubt it's the server. I don't see any significant difference between 32 people playing and 64.
                              Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X