No announcement yet.

7800 gtx and im gettin ~20 fps...wth...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7800 gtx and im gettin ~20 fps...wth...

Well, i just built a new rig and im gettin some major graphical lag which is mind blowing considering my specs -

4800+ X2, 2 gigs ocz platnium, abit kn8 sli mobo, xfx 7800 gtx 256 mb, 74 gig raptor, 500 watt aspire psu, aspire x-navigator case.

Its so wierd, i have the settings all on medium just to try to get it playable and its still choppy as hell. im running at 1024 and i KNOW that this card can handle pretty much everything in this game. Im running the latest drivers and d/l'ed a patch for the processor.

I had a couple of crashes to desktop while playing and even a few reboots...so i figured it was an overheating problem but even on load the hottest thing in my case doesnt even get over 30 degrees celsius. I pyshically felt the components and the the only thing thats hot is the video cards circuitry. Im assuming the card is overheating and thats why my graphics are suffering. If i turn the comp off for about 30 min and then turn it on, i can run a couple maps fine with full everything, but then it starts to bog down. Even another indication of an overheating problem.

Could it be my votages are off? would power have anything to do with it or maybe the vid cards heat sink is bad? i really dont know how to fix an overheating video card. My side fan is 120 mm blowing at high speed right on it so i dont know why its so hot.

Im gonna try my old x800 xt and see if it runs stable in there. The only thing else i might try is reseating my heatsink with some artic silver, but i doubt its the cpu.

This is why you havent seen me on much the last few days or if i do i dont stay on for long. It figures, i get rid of my old comp, spend a couple thousand and i still have problems lol.

Any ideas?

Re: 7800 gtx and im gettin ~20 fps...wth...

Could be your PSU.

Those 7800's are hungry. And nevermind the video card the motherboard is also hungry.

500W may not be enough to power both it sounds rediculous but it's possible. When I built my SLi board 550w was minimum. I got lucky because I impulse bought my PSU and it turned out to be 550.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

hmm very well could be. I was gonna go up to a 600 watter in the future when i was ready for sli but i might just splurge for one soon if i cant figure this out...

edit - also there seems to be quite a bit of heat coming out of my psu...

Comment

Not enough power doesn't sound like the problem to me. If you're able to achieve "graphics of pwnage" for a few minutes before stuttering and having to drop to "graphics of n00bage" than you know that your PSU has enough power to get it to "pwnage status." I would think that if your PSU did not have enough juice you'd never reach "pwnage status" at all. It sounds to me like a heat issue. One thing to keep in mind though is when under load, your video card is always going to feel hot, so don't worry about how it feels to the touch.

Just to make sure it's not a power issue though, do a google search on what Nvidia recommends to meet 7800XT psu requirements.

Worst comes to worse, have the distributor replace your video card with a new one, before dropping a bunch of money on a new PSU. See if that changes anything, if not...well hey you didn't lose any money...just time. After that try the PSU.

Oh, and on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being elite-super-geek) how technical are you? I might be able to suggest some sources of help if you know what you're doing, but it would probably be a bit overwhelming if you don't.
        |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

Get riva tuner and run hardware monitoring while u play the game. U will be able to see what was tghe temp pf ur gpu while playing, speeds of both core and memory and voltage etc.
          If overheating is the problem ull be able to spot it and probbaly see on the graph that when the temp was high ur gpu and mem speeds dropped down.

Comment

Another thing to consider as well is if it is a heat problem you need to seriously look at fan placement and direction of airflow.

Ideally you want the front fan sucking air in while the rear fan is blowing air out. You want at least one blow hole fan on the top of the case sucking air out. You'll also want at least one fan on the side of the case blowing air in near the CPU.

I've got a total of 7 fans in my case, all 120mm.

Front = sucking air in
            Rear = blowing air out
            2 side case fans blowing air in (One over the CPU one over the Graphics card)
            2 blow hole fans = sucking air out.
            one 120mm on my CPU blowing air through a massive HS onto the CPU.

Of course normal people don't have many fans as I do. Just use your better judgment and think carefully where you place your fans. You don't want to disrupt the flow of air and create "hot-spots".

[volun][drill]
            I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Is the hard drive brand new too? All that new hardware on an existing OS would net you lots of instability. My guess, though, is that it's both overheating and a PSU issue. When you first start up the game, everything works fine, but as the temp inside your case rises the efficiency of your PSU goes down. You could buy a better PSU, a 600 watt that's from a very good vendor so you know it works well even when it's hot, or you could try to readdress the cooling in your case (I'd work on airflow first). Or you could do both at once.

Also, your computer is so insanely powerful it makes mine envious just to display your system specs.

Comment

Guys 500w psu can deal with GTX @ SLi let alone one GTX. If its PSU only possible thing is that its faulty cuz it has more then enough power for that rig. Dont make him pay extra money if he doesnt have to.
                99% its faulty GPU, that is with faulty cooling. Just replace it and ull be fine.
                And forget fans etc. its a computer people not not a freakin jambo jet. If its not o/c-ed and not working properly he doesnt need no extra fans nor more powerful psu. That means somethings faulty.
                Geez with these advices he ll end up with a super computer worth thousands of bucks and in debts.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                  My guess, though, is that it's both overheating and a PSU issue. When you first start up the game, everything works fine, but as the temp inside your case rises the efficiency of your PSU goes down.
                  I second that emotion.

Additionally, and I hate to say this, I don't believe Aspire PSU's have an especially good reputation for keeping their power under load. See, any PSU can make cool power - it's only once temperatures rise that things become interesting. This is one reason why hardware vendors publish such high minumum power requirements for their products; they know that many consumers purchase non-name brand PSU's which don't deliver as advertised and end up underpowering their computers.

If this actually is a power supply problem, and we're not sure that it is, you will have little choice but to replace your current PSU. This is a pain. If you do go this route, I'd recommend you go with a brand such as PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, or one of a few other brands that other people here may have experience with.

In the meantime, let's make sure you have all of the proper chipset, video, and audio drivers installed. Scan for Spyware, use Task Manager to shut down any non-essential applications, and see how things go from there.
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

thanx for the input guys. Since i can reach "uber graphics" status, i know my vid card can handle it. But when it bogs down after a while is where i dont get it.

And Delta - im about a 7-8 lol

My fans are fine, two intakes, side 120 mm and front 80 mm...two rear outputs and a top output. My vid card is slighty OC'ed using power strip but nothing huge and my cpu is stock.

I did check the temp on my gpu during bf2 and its hovering around 50-52 degrees celsius which is kinda hot but still acceptable under load.

One thing i was thinking it could be is my cpu. Its dual core and sometimes if the game is single threaded, it tries to use both cores alternating which would make the studdering. So i tried setting the affinity of the bf2 process to run on only one core...no help. Im gonna try to disable thermal throttling in my BIOS and see if that helps.

Im gonna try my old x800 xt tonight and see if it stays stable. Im also goin to reseat my heatsink with some artic silver. I also may install my new heatsink i got - the zalman somethin or other...it looks like a flower with blue led's lol. And the benchmarks were outstanding. So after i try these things ill report back.

And yea, i dont want to spend a fotune if i dont have to. When nvidia puts out their 7900 or G70 line (whatever its called) im goin sli then, but for now i just want to get this runnin the way it should.

Thanx bonehead for the congrats...it was a long time in the making! Thanx for the help again...well see how it goes tonight...i was pissed i couldnt get on for some SF last night! Hope you guys had fun without me.

Comment

How did u check the temp? Cuz if u checked if by exiting bf and then seeing it from the driver it dropped down a lot. Under load it should be around 70. again, download riva tuner and see with hardware monitoring. Its gpu is overheating core/memory clocks will drop. U can see it from the graph.

Comment

Check your temps with RivaTuner and reinstall the newest driver.
                        Set everything to default (maybe you are underclocking your CPU? - do not use Cool and Quiet - update your CPU driver, download from AMD.com).

If that doesn't help send the card to me. I will inspect it and test it thouroughly!

Comment

Marstein doesn't have the experience to test your card properly. Send it to ME! I guarantee you that in 6 months or less I will have solved all your problems or I'll reimburse you for the shipping. Until the problem is fixed I'll hold your card as collateral. :D

Oh yeah, useful info...if I fail to get your video card working in 6 months *cough* you might want to try making a post in the general forums hardware section.

Also, if you haven't already done so, I'd highly suggest doing a clean install of XP and following this guide to optimize your system: XPTC

It's absolutely awesome, and you won't regret it. And if you do I'll deny everything!
                          Last edited by Delta_Swift; 01-12-2006, 08:18 PM.
                          |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

Well, it seems like i got it fixed (wheres some wood to knock)...

I took out the stock amd heatsink and put in the top of the line zalman, which was a royal pain to install but finally got it. I made sure there was a nice fresh coating of artic siver on the cpu and a tad on the heatsink itself. Im def running a lil cooler than before. I updated the bios as well. Other than that, thats pretty much it.

I ran 3d mark05 a couple times and it ran the way it should. Got around 8300. Loaded up bf2 and at a res of 1024x1280 with everything set to hi and 4x aa. It ran with an average of about 70 fps....sometimes higher sometimes lower but all around definately playable while looking fantastic. Now, i know it did this before and then it slowed down after about 10 minutes or so, so i was playing for about a half hour and didnt experience any slowdown.

I really dont know what it was that fixed it. Might have been the BIOS who knows. Lets just hope it really is fixed and the problem fairy is done with her quota. Thanx again fellas.

Comment

As i said overheating...easier was just to replace the card. U wouldnt have to buy a new Zalman.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X