No announcement yet.

Failed to Install (BF2:Special Forces)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed to Install (BF2:Special Forces)

Hello, I need some help. I had BF2 and Special Forces installed and playing perfectly fine for a few weeks. (I have the CD for SF btw, not the online purchase).

I uninstalled and reinstalled BF2 because I was too stupid to figure out they had a mic configure file in the directory, and thought I had to reinstall just for that. Yeah. Well anyway BF2 installed fine and it works just fine. But when I go to install Special Forces, the progress bar gets about 1/3 of the way through and then it says "Failed to install, please try again" or something like that. And the file it kept freezing on (while scanning through the files while installing) was this:

Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x64.cab

So I did a search and found out it was a Direct X file, so I downloaded the latest direct x and copied the folder into my BF2 directory. I found this thread (while looking for help) that gave this advice:

"Navigate to the /directx folder on the BF2 CD/DVD
    Open the file: Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x86.cab or Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x64.cab (files vary based on an x86 or 64bit system)
    Copy the compressed file called d3dx9_25.dll to the /games/Battlefield 2/ folder.
    Open the file Feb2005_d3dx9_24_x86.cab or Feb2005_d3dx9_24_x64.cab (files vary based on an x86 or 64bit system)
    Copy the compressed file called d3dx9_24.dll to the /games/Battlefield 2/ folder."

So I got these .dll files into my BF2 directory, and tried to install Special Forces again. Now it doesn't hang on Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x64.cab, instead it hangs on this:

(note: this is most of the file/folder/whatever name, I was typing into notepad and I got all but about 3 or 4 characters on the end)

{50D4CB89-AF34-4978-96DC-C3034062E901

Now I'm pretty sure that's something in my registry, I haven't run a search on that stuff above yet but I need someone to tell me what's going on.

Here are my system specs:

3.2 ghz P4
    1 gig PC3200
    GeForce FX5900

If anyone can please take the time to help me I'd appreciate it...I'm dying without my Special Forces!!!!

Re: Failed to Install (BF2:Special Forces)

While I'm not blessed with the technical ability to answer your question, let me say this:

WELCOME TO TG! Our servers are the only place you'll ever want to play - make sure to read our rules and SOPs, and I hope to see you on the servers soon. If you do get SF working, we have an SF night every Wednesday. Best of luck with the problem.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Thanks! Glad to be here, even more happy if someone can help me fix this, because I know EA support won't do anything...I don't want to have to buy the game again or something, because I know I would if that's what it took. :(

Comment

Could be that SF did not uninstall correctly. I'd go crawling through your registry; if you find SF stuff in there, check to see if you can "re-uninstall" it, or if you're feeling adventurous back up your registry and delete any Special Forces keys you find there. After all that, you might want to try uninstalling BF2 and THEN looking for BF2 related registry stuff; you could clear all that out and start out perfectly clean.

Comment

Yea, I think I'd start with a clean slate.. Uninstall BF2 and SF then run through the manual uninstall procedure to make sure it's clean. Then probably Windows Update to make sure your DirectX is up to the latest and greatest. You can get the latest DirectX here. Then install BF2, SF, and finally the 1.12 patch.

Otherwise, BF2 keeps a patch log in My Documents\Battlefield 2\dmp if you wanna examine it and see if it points to any problems.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Yeah, I had hope there but, didn't work. :( :(

Comment

I've not given up yet, I'm doing everything I can think of, and I'll do anything you guys can think of too...and with my limited PC knowledge it'd be useful for you guys to keep dropping suggestions. Thanks a lot! Hope I get it working.

Comment

Here's a tip:

try a different cd. The original BF2 DVD that I bought was actually defective. It would not install, past a certain point, like yours. After trying everything years of computer use had suggested, I just returned the game for a different copy (you always expect the actual media to be fine, so I didn't think of that at first) and it worked. Also had the exact same problem with half life 2. I have really bad luck I guess.

Comment

Do you think they'd let me just swap one out for another without a receipt? In the manual it mentions a 90 day warranty and I know it's not been 90 days yet...but yeah no receipt. :(

Also, the only reason I don't think that will help is that I actually installed SF just fine when I first got it, but after the reinstall it wouldn't work. I don't think it's the cd, but I won't rule that out.
                  Last edited by [Comrade]Sero; 01-27-2006, 01:45 PM.

Comment

;_;

Comment

Please?

Comment

Sorry for the quad-post here, but I went to Wal-Mart and had the CD exchanged, and it installed just fine now. Thanks for help, everyone.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X