Do you think PSU doesen't matter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think PSU doesen't matter?

Well, think again. I've just proven that one wrong. For the ones who don't know what a PSU is : PSU = Power Supply Unit.

I've gotten myself this XPC(small form factor) barebone rig. It's really small and handy. It comes packed with an AMD64 3500+, 1GB PC4000 dual channel ram, a DVD burner and a SATA harddrive and a crappy Gforce-4(old thingy).

3 months ago I decided to change my graphics card to a newer one but it had to be AGP so I opted for Geforce6800Ultra. I bit of bodywork on the case and the card was fitted in the case. The thing came up but I was a bit disappointed because I couldn't run the game on higher than 1024x768 on medium to low settings. Any higher rate and I would get horrific chops/lag(not network). Well it turned out my XPC powersupply had an output rating of max 250W, I started to wonder if that could affect my performance. So I ordered and connected a Hiper 580W powersupply to my XPC and removed the old one.

Now I am able to run the game on almost all high even at 1280x1024. Everything works so much better.
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Re: Do you think PSU doesen't matter?

Science!

Comment

And ponder this..

You upgrade to a Crossfire X1900XTX rig (obviously not in your XPC). They like, say, 300 Watts each.. now add a mainboard and CPU at, say, 150 Watts.. Hrmmm... 750 Watts and I haven't added the Drives yet...

Of course, if those numbers seem a little high, they probably are actually a little low for peak load.. but say, if they are even 15% inflated.. you've still peaked out the common 580 PSU's and are going to be starving something. Oh.. and don't forget that a PSU is at peak efficiency below it's max rating.

Dual PSU's anyone?? But I guess if I am going to spend $1200 on video cards.. a PSU just for them is perfectly reasonable.

PSU's are extremely important.

We have 5 XPC's now.. I like them.. they are fun. Don't use them for gaming though, although we could. The Hiper is a very good, efficient PSU too - Likely I will have two of those in my next rig a few months from now.
      sigpic

Comment

Actually rumors says that the Crossfire X1900XTX runs at peak 175W. So you could(notice wording) be OK with one Hiper 580.

I found this posted on some bullettin board(Gforce ultra related):

"according to the Tech Report system with an Athlon64 4000+ and single GeForce 6800 Ultra consumes around 271w at load and 155w on idle"

(Unconfirmed sources tels me the GF6800 Ultra needs 120W at peak).
        --

Comment

Yeah, I went with some 'memory' numbers there.. but here is one spot I get information from

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/...nes/page7.html

There you will see a range of ~298 - ~335 for the X1900XFX (I meant XFX, not XTX) I mentioned. Oddly - I s'pose I could have used the X1800XT for an example at 327 - 411!!

I think you will agree that regardless of what you are doing, if you are putting 500W of power into $1200 of silicon.. an extra $120 isn't a bad investment for peak efficiency.
          sigpic

Comment

Wow! Toss the furnace, buy ATI.
            --

Comment

dual psu's are a way aways...they already make 1000 watters if you really need that much power.

Comment

Bah! Penn State stinks! Go BUCKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snail88
                  dual psu's are a way aways...they already make 1000 watters if you really need that much power.
                  They are? They are showing up in our CAD stations. Makes perfect sense to me.. not much of a cost increase either compared to a 1000W box, more efficient too. Thermaltake started making cases dual PSU ready last year.
                  sigpic

Comment

bah what do i know lol

Comment

If you can afford a couple of those [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131001fancy video cards[/url], you can afford PCPC 1KW :p
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Will any ATX power supply fit in a Shuttle?

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                          Yeah, I went with some 'memory' numbers there.. but here is one spot I get information from

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/...nes/page7.html

There you will see a range of ~298 - ~335 for the X1900XFX (I meant XFX, not XTX) I mentioned. Oddly - I s'pose I could have used the X1800XT for an example at 327 - 411!!

I think you will agree that regardless of what you are doing, if you are putting 500W of power into $1200 of silicon.. an extra $120 isn't a bad investment for peak efficiency.
                          I think its obvious by the 'no card' entries on the graphs that these power numbers are referring to total system power usage...not just gpu usage.
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
                            Will any ATX power supply fit in a Shuttle?
                            I assume you are refering to XPC small form factor Shuttles. A normal ATX powersupply will not fit in the case. I have mounted mine on top of the casing(outside). You do get ATX powersupplies that fit like the image below which is the standard ATX powersupply that sits in some of the XPC models. However be prepared to do a bit of case modding if you are going to use your XPC for gaming like I am.

Last edited by PanzerHans; 02-10-2006, 05:31 AM.
                            --

Comment

I have a 550 in an atx duel core and also powering an nvidia 7800 gt oc ...................No problems yet

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X