Weird "lag" in the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird "lag" in the game

So for the past 2-3 weeks, BF2 has been mostly unplayable for me. I've been getting all sorts of "lag" in the game, to the point where even moving becomes impossible. Most of the time when this happens my ping is okay, though I do get spikes every so often. Someone mentioned a fix for Punkbuster by manually updating, and that made it about 5x worse, to the point that I had to re-install the game. Updating video drivers hasn't seemed to help either. Any ideas on what the issue is? Has anything been changed recently on the server? Or am I just having lots of bad luck, and it's all my network? I really don't think it's my network, because I have no problems with any other online games.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Weird "lag" in the game

Try connecting to another server besides TG and see if you get the same problems. Make sure to try at least 2. One with punkbuster protection and one without. PB has been causing problems for a lot of people

Make sure to check ur video settings and see if its not extremely high (which you probably have)

What are your systems specs?

Comment

Athlon 64 3200
      1gig ram
      radeon x850xt
      cable internet

I run the game on medium settings, even though I could run it full out. There's just no real reason to run on high though, in my opinion. I'll check a few other servers out like you mentioned.
      [squadl]

Comment

Here's a trick that fixed a conflict for me, try using the task manager to lower the priority of the bf2.exe process to "below normal".

[at][unit]

Comment

I'll give it a shot, but I'm at a loss for understanding as to how that works.

And oh yea, I should also mention one other thing. The game now takes forever to start up. I'm talking 30-45sec or more once I see the splash screen before my computer actually jumps into the game and the first movies.
          [squadl]

Comment

Have you got problems with your hardrive? Is it full? Is something eating your memory? Is your Harddrive running in PIO mode? (if its IDE).

Sound's to me like your harddrive might be doing too much work, possibly some virtual memory settings?

EDIT: Ignore the process priority advice, it was a long shot but you don't sound like you have the same problem that I had.

[at][unit]

Comment

My OS HDD has 88gig free, my games/stuff hdd has 137gig free. Both are SATA. Nothing eating my memory that I can see. If either of those were the case in the general sense, I think I should be seeing problems in my other games. It's kinda weird, because it only affects BF2, and only in recent weeks. I still have to test my connection to other servers. Who knows, maybe I just luck out and choose to play when all my neighbors decide to download their digital nudity.
              [squadl]

Comment

Tarpan, I've been having the same issue lately as well. I was trying to play Tac Mod this evening but I couldn't hit anything due to lag my pink was aroun 100 too. And I'm in the US.

I'd aim at a USMC guy hit the mouse button and my gun would turn the opposite direction of where I wanted to.

[volun][drill]
                I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I think I have found part of my issue, though not the whole thing. With regards to BF2 startup, for some reason my anti-virus software would take up 95% of my CPU for about 30sec, so I shut that down and things started normally.

Unfortunately, I couldn't play TacMod whatsoever. My ping would be at 50-70 for a few seconds, but anytime I tried to move or do anything, it would shoot to 800+. I got all of 5min of play in before I called it quits.
                  [squadl]

Comment

yeah, strangely my ping (normally around 50) has been around 160-200 today... o_0 tried playing both tacmod and vanilla, but it was totally futile... i wonder if this snow storm's temporarily done something stupid somewhere between me (Bostonish) and the server (Dallasish)

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                      I think I have found part of my issue, though not the whole thing. With regards to BF2 startup, for some reason my anti-virus software would take up 95% of my CPU for about 30sec, so I shut that down and things started normally.

Unfortunately, I couldn't play TacMod whatsoever. My ping would be at 50-70 for a few seconds, but anytime I tried to move or do anything, it would shoot to 800+. I got all of 5min of play in before I called it quits.
                      Few months ago I had a problem where i would have to wait 4-5 min to load EVERY level. Turns out my sata connection 0 on my motherboard went bad, now i just use the sata 1 connection and it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                        yeah, strangely my ping (normally around 50) has been around 160-200 today... o_0 tried playing both tacmod and vanilla, but it was totally futile... i wonder if this snow storm's temporarily done something stupid somewhere between me (Bostonish) and the server (Dallasish)
                        You guys got hammered with snow too? I'm in northwest New Jersey and it snowed from 6pm the 11th and then all day today.

And I tried to just deal witht eh odd ping and weird lag because I was really looking forward to tacmod but I just couldn't deal with the lag.

[volun][drill]
                        I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I am having this problem too. Intermittent periods of rubber-banding, "problem with your connection" warnings and general aiming wackiness. The in-game ping remains more or less normal between 20-70, but occassionally spikes to 500+. Happens on all servers, not just TG. Unplayable :(.

For me, it started after Cablevision in north NJ went down for 12 hours on Thursday. Also around the same time I installed ATOM and the new map pack.

Virus scan turns up nothing.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

in settings there are two different types of connections...make sure you select the proper one. I think the Lan/T1 takes more bandwith and it gave me problems when i had that selected

Comment

Steeler this game does the exact same thing for me. Do you also get that stuttering echo like it's doing a slow double take. That will happen randomly for about a minute. I have a gig of ram. I've also been getting the problems with your connection message tonight while playing the tac mod. And I couldn't stay on the server. My connection kept getting lost and I would get booted.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X