BF2 Freezes after ~2 minutes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Freezes after ~2 minutes

Hiya. I recently dusted this off, and playing DoD:S with TacticalGamer made me hungry for some BF2 action on the TG servers. It was not to be though ....

This is a new PC, so everything is freshly loaded, driver-wise and DirectX-wise. Freshly patched BF2 as well.

PC:
    Athlon64 3200+
    1GB DDR uh...I forget which type. Recent, but not the fastest. 400?
    NVidia 6600 GT 256MB PCIE
    Onboard sound

I've been running CoH/V, which is pretty demanding, just fine. I also have HL2, DoD:S (tested yesterday, whee!), F.E.A.R., Quake IV, X3 Reunion (chugs a bit, but ran fine for hours), GTA:SA, and a few other things on there. Battlefield 2 is the only one with this issue.

It loads up and retrieves my login info. Loads up the map, then crashes within a few minutes or sometimes even seconds. I haven't tried Single Player, will do that next.

Interesting thing is, my previous PC did the exact same thing. What I did there was disable "fastwrite" and lowered the AGP to 2x - that fixed it. However, this card is PCIE! I could start lowering the hardware acceleration I guess?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Oh, and I searched the forum for "freeze" and didn't come up with anything solid...

Me: |

Re: BF2 Freezes after ~2 minutes

check ur video settings and make sure you are running a recent driver for your video card. bf2 is known to CTD on people

Comment

Time based crashes are usually related to heat...

Comment

I tried both the newest and what's included on the BF2 DVD. Same difference.

I'll check my temps. I doubt that's it, as my previous comp was weaker and ran fine, but I guess if BF2 doesn't know how to manage its settings, that might do it. That's the next thing I'll look at.

Anyone know offhand what I can change in my card settings to make it slow the heck down? :D

Comment

i wouldnt slow down you video card. Check the in game settings and make sure theres also nothing else running while BF2 is loaded.

Comment

Hrmmm... Using a LCD?

Here's a thought, did you set your in-game video settings to a refresh rate your monitor supports? I made that mistake once..

hrmmm.. maybe not that.. just a thought.. you probably wouldn't get as far as you did. It would also occur at the same time every time.
            sigpic

Comment

Crashes or freezes?

It could be something related to the PB authentication. I had that problem once, and it was due to some old MOTHERBOARD chipset drivers, so you may want to make sure they are up to date.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

In case it is PB, you could go to their website and download the manual PB update, just to be safe.

One way to test if it is a heat issue is to remove your case cover (if you leave it on). This will allow the video card to dissipate heat better.
                Telorn

Comment

Well, I just tried Single Player and stayed playing for 20 minutes. Looks like PB is the problem. Applying manual patch now ....

Comment

No joy. Sigh. The last thing on the Console screen is PB getting a GUID, so I'm increasingly convinced it's a PB issue. But what to do now...

Comment

I already told you. You must upgrade your mobo chipset drivers.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Hmm. Considering I can play the game fine OFFline, I kinda doubt that's the case ;) I'll certainly try it though, downloading now. Mmm, Taiwan Dl speeds....

Comment

As I explained...... It has to do with the PB authentication.. When you are offline, there is no authentication.. When PB authenticates, and your drivers are not up to date, your machine can freeze up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                            As I explained...... It has to do with the PB authentication.. When you are offline, there is no authentication.. When PB authenticates, and your drivers are not up to date, your machine can freeze up.
                            He's playing offline, and the bug still happens. It's not punkbuster.
                            |TG| aschmack

Comment

Originally posted by elmerfudd
                              He's playing offline, and the bug still happens. It's not punkbuster.
                              Huh?

Marconi says he played single player for 20 minutes without a hitch so he suspects it is OK.
                              Telorn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X