BF2 Patch Woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Patch Woes

I recently uninstalled BF2 in the process of clearing out my computer, but made the mistake of doing this on patch day. I reinstalled the game as fast as possible so I could try out 1.2, but I am now unable to patch to 1.12 or 1.2 due to "patching failed" errors that pop up halfway through the process. This is incredibly irritating, especially as I had BF2 running 1.12 perfectly 2 days ago.

So far, I've tried:
    - Reinstallations (multiple times)
    - Clearing out my registry manually
    - The "manual installation process" involving the shifting of temp files to a new directory, and then running the installation from those.
    - Pretty much everything described here
    - Running a defrag and virus check
    - Reboots (soft and hard)
    - Followed the official EA advice given here
    -Downloaded the patches again from different sites.

From the "dmp" file, here's the full error that is created:
    "Updating ...
    error ept0009: Invalid Patch File 'C:\DOCUME~1\ash\LOCALS~1\Temp\bye33.tmp\Disk1\bf2 \patch.rtp'"
    If someone could shed some light on this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: BF2 Patch Woes

Originally posted by Bommando
    Silly question, but are you running the full or incremental patch?
    Oops, forgot to include that. I'm trying to run the full patch, from a clean reinstall.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I had to do a reinstall of BF2 (because the incremental patch failed). Ran the full 1.2 patch off a clean install and everything works good. WHere did you download the full patch from? Maybe try another site?
      Telorn

Comment

Sugar had that problem last night. She had to install all the patches and the new one to get it to run. Just a thought.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

i used the incremental patch and it loads right up, not sure why it works for some and not for others
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

It's the DICE way, Trooper. Mine just rolled on the wrong number :row__690:
            Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
              ... includes a space after the bf2 directory. I don't know whether it's just the way it was pasted, but I would be surprised if a directory would have a trailing space by design. It's a stab in the dark and I don't know how you would tell the installer not to use the space, but it looks like it might be a problem.
              I think that was just the way it was pasted. Some people on the Total BF2 forums suggest just trying again and again until it "rolls the right number", so I might give that a shot. If not, it's probably time for a format and reinstallation of windows.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

If you do the "manual" patch, what error messages do you get? The "automatic" patch runs the patch program and just hides all the details of what goes wrong. Not very helpful for diagnosing problems.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                  If you do the "manual" patch, what error messages do you get? The "automatic" patch runs the patch program and just hides all the details of what goes wrong. Not very helpful for diagnosing problems.
                  The manual patch gives me the same error of:
                  error ept0009: Invalid Patch File 'C:\DOCUME~1\ash\LOCALS~1\Temp\bye33.tmp\Disk1\bf2 \patch.rtp

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...007&sid=global

Different game, same problem.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Cool, that's one variation of the manual install that I haven't tried. Gonna do a reinstall and then give it a shot. Thanks.

EDIT: Same fuggin problem, and error message.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

BTW, I don't install games to Program Files, because I loathe directory names with spaces in them. I put them under C:\Games, and I remove any spaces from the game's folder name. So in this case I have the game installed to C:\Games\BF2. This also saves a lot of typing and quoting when I run into problems like this.

Similarly, once you find the patch program and the .rtp file, copy them up to some top-level directory with no spaces (like C:\temp), cd to that directory, and run the patch from there. Look for any log files the patch program writes; log files tend to have yet more details about any errors.

Sometimes the path to a file deep in your Windows profile exceeds the 255 character limit imposed by some older code. I ran into this recently where the original path was under that limit, but I had moved the whole directory tree down into another directory, and shared that point. The visible directory string was short enough, but the server's view of the path was longer and causing a mysterious failure.

Comment

Similarly, once you find the patch program and the .rtp file, copy them up to some top-level directory with no spaces (like C:\temp), cd to that directory, and run the patch from there. Look for any log files the patch program writes; log files tend to have yet more details about any errors.
                          Thanks for the suggestion, but the error persists when the patcher is run in this fashion. I'll try and dig up the logs, but if that's not successful I think it's time for the ol' wipe-the-frickin-harddrive.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Problem FIXED - patch installed successfully. I don't know how, or why, but on the 90th try the darn thing installed. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, I really appreciate it.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I'm wondering if it's an intermittent hardware problem. One person at TotalBF2 reported that his problem went away when he pulled out a mismatched memory stick.

Patching should not depend on the phase of the moon. It's a simple deterministic process, not interactive and random like a game. If I read all the web sites right, the error you were seeing meant that the file was corrupt, and now it's not. So something "uncorrupted" it. My bet is that whatever corrupted the file will also cause the game to act flakey.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X