Packet Loss Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packet Loss Question.

So I thought it was my router, but on further investigation it turns out I have a bad connection somewhere onlong the route to the TG server.

I get packet loss spikes (20% - 30%) every 1-5 minutes that cause me to disconnect. I emailed cox (my IP) and will probably call them tomorrow, but I was just wondering if there are any tweaks I can do to at least make online games playable until they do something.
    sigpic

Re: Packet Loss Question.

Interesting, I just downloaded pingplotter looks like a fun util.
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

hummm i get upwards of 70% packet loss on the second to last hop and 10-20% on 3 or 4 other stops. maybe that's the cause of all the lag i've been seeing lately. :(

Comment

Is your ISP Cox as well sordavie?
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

No, I have time warner, and my packet loss seems to come from the two theplanet hops near the end: 70.85.127.106 and 70.84.160.134. After running 1000 traces earlier today, the average packet loss to the first is about 10%, and the second 30%. [I just ran another 500 traces as I was typing, and the average packet loss is now 5% and 7% respectively.] But I never really experienced much lag (at least not due to my broadband connection) before the 1.2 patch. So I'm not sure packet loss is the problem, since presumably that's been the same before the patch.

The lag I get can be described as spiking every 1-5 minutes. It appears that the server is out of synch with what I do locally. For example, I'll zoom in with the sniper rifle but automatically zoom right out, or I'll move foward and then appear back where I was before I moved, or I'll move foward, get a 'connection problem' message, and then find myself 5 steps past the point I expected to be (I end up falling off buildings a lot because of that one). This all happens even if my ping remains at around 60. Sometimes my ping will jump to between 500-900. Most of the time that happens only when my housemates are downloading stuff, but it has happened a few times even when the router indicates that nobody else is active.

Hopefully somebody's got some ideas as to what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie

The lag I get can be described as spiking every 1-5 minutes. It appears that the server is out of synch with what I do locally. For example, I'll zoom in with the sniper rifle but automatically zoom right out, or I'll move foward and then appear back where I was before I moved, or I'll move foward, get a 'connection problem' message, and then find myself 5 steps past the point I expected to be (I end up falling off buildings a lot because of that one). This all happens even if my ping remains at around 60. Sometimes my ping will jump to between 500-900.
            That is pretty much exactly the symptoms of my problem. Every few minutes things on my screen are all jerky and stuttering even though my ping is like 15 (and the zoom thing is a big annoyance). The only difference is that when the "connection problem" message comes up for me it results in disconnect about 50% of the time.
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X