In game video optimizing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In game video optimizing

Last night I was gunning in a helo with WhiskeySix and noticed that he was able to see enemies before I was. I assume it is due to vid card/hardware differences but this got me thinking about how to best setup my video game settings.

WS recommended that I set my geomety on high. I already have it on high. Also, I was on Sharqi on the crane while sniping and could not see the TV station. I told this to WS and he was suprised. I guess I should be able to snipe the TV roof from the crane at construction.

Here are my current settings

Display 1024x768 @ 85hz
    Terrain - Medium
    Effects - Medium
    Geometry - High
    Texture - Medium
    Lighting - Low
    Dynamic Shadows - Low
    Dynamic Lighting - Medium
    Anti Aliasing - Off
    Texture Filtering - Medium
    View Distance - 100%

System: 2.4 P4, 1.5 gb ram, 6600G nividia AGP 256 card.

I do keep my system clean with no background operations running. I have my computer set with a profile for gaming that turns off all of the non required services for gaming and I typically get 35 - 50 fps.

Can anyone give me an idea if any of the video settings I am at currently using that would limit the distance of my in game view? Of course I would like to have the game looking as good as possible but it would be better to not be disadvantaged by my view distance.
    Meister

Re: In game video optimizing

hmm.. not sure about crane-to-TV station, but certainly from the construction site buildings...

Comment

As long as you have view distance set to 100%, youll be able to see as far as anyone else. Thats all that matters when it comes to view distance. However, the way BF2 renders things, if you look off to the side of what youre looking at straight on, youll see farther. So say you want to see whats hapening just beyond your view distance, turn slighty to the side while keeping an eye on that direction....youll see a bit farther that way. But you have to turn again to face it to shoot anything, which makes that trick more of a recon tool than anything else.

Comment

from http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html

"Geometry: The Geometry setting controls the Level of Detail (LOD) setting for various objects and landscape in the game. The options are Low, Medium and High and for most intents and purposes there is virtually no difference between the three levels. At higher levels certain objects will appear more detailed, such as rounder boulders and more curved landscape (i.e. more polygons visible). More importantly, at the higher levels vehicles will come into view sooner when far away, as more of their details are shown earlier. Obviously performance is better at the lowest level, but the extent of it depends on your system. For the reason that it may help you detect vehicles sooner, you may want to set this to Medium or High."

Comment

way to rain on my parade lol...i really should stop acting like i know what im talking about. Thanx for clearin my fallacies up Whiskey ;-)

Comment

:icon_lol:

well, i could also have highlighted this sentence: "there is virtually no difference between the three levels"

edit: regardless, it looks like both of these are set to where they should be.. hmm... well this is a dumb question, but are you sure you clicked the [Apply] button after you changed to these settings? if not they won't be saved and applied in game.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
              :icon_lol:

well, i could also have highlighted this sentence: "there is virtually no difference between the three levels"

edit: regardless, it looks like both of these are set to where they should be.. hmm... well this is a dumb question, but are you sure you clicked the [Apply] button after you changed to these settings? if not they won't be saved and applied in game.

The settings I noted above are what I have had the game at for awhile so I'm sure they are what the game is using and I can see the tv roof from the construction buildings.. just not well
              Meister

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X