Major lag with a ping of 13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major lag with a ping of 13

Ok, I started playing ranked servers yesterday, and go on the official UK servers based in Londen, so I get an excellent ping. But I still get loads of lag, with my game occasionally crashing, this is particularly annoying as it means I get 1 more death on my record because I can't fight back. Doesn't anyone know what could be causing this?
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Re: Major lag with a ping of 13

check your video settings if they are to high you can experience lag like issues
    sigpic

Comment

Everything is set to low/off except gemetry (medium), texture (medium) and view distance scale (100%), my res is 1024x768 85Hz
      |TG| Lorian

Comment

you might want to lower your textures to low they are very system hungry try that and see if that helps. what kind of FPS are you running?
        sigpic

Comment

Ok I'll try that, then report the fps/lag I get.

For refernce I tried finding good settings the other day and I was seeing what fps I got with all the default settings and I got around 30fps on low.
          |TG| Lorian

Comment

http://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/hardware1.html Check out this site, it may have some tweaks that could help.

Also, everyone should have Geometry set to High. Why? I figured this out while co-piloting in choppers, where the pilot could see infantry and armor further away than I could. So, I set messed with the video settings, and it turns out that Geometry effects how far you can see "mobiles" (infantry, armor, jets and choppers etc...).

-StubbedToe

Comment

After resetting video settings it's much better to not only restart the game, but also delete all content of the following folder:
              c:\Documents and Settings\{Your Windows' user name here}\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache\

It will force game to re-render shaders and all that stuff and really help to avoid some lags.
              I'll keep on following your steps...

[tg-c1][conduct][medic]. . .. ... .....

Comment

You may also be experiencing packet loss to that particular server.

Comment

I have sorted the problem now, just set everything to low (except view distance scale), it doubled my fps as well to around 40.

I also had a good round, upgraded Private First Class and got teh Basic Transport award. Additionally I discovered the effective getting out of your vehicle early then go to the rest of the way to the flag can be. At one point I was capturing a flag, then 2 enemy APCs came to get it back and were looking for me, both didn't see me, when they recaptured the flag they just left. While I was still there breathing a sigh of relief and captured the flag again, lots of points for me :p

Here is a screenshot of it, it is kinda hard to tell but he was looking right at me at the point.
                  |TG| Lorian

Comment

Glad to hear your running the game better
                    sigpic

Comment

I'd recommend the following optimal graph settings (of course Low for all will increase perfomance, but there's also settings that affect gameplay):
                      1. Terrain - Low. There's no significant and game-affecting details of terrain.
                      2. Effects - High. It will allow you to see traces of GrenadeLauncher's shots, bullets traces, which won't appear on Low setting.
                      3. Geometry - High. Actually, it's one of the most perfomance consuming setting. When set to Low it will spend less resources on rendering different surfaces and details depending on their remoteness from player. At the same time all important visual units will disappear on less distances. So I recomment set it to High.
                      4. Texture - Low. The same as foe terrain. Moreover it's easier to detect enemy standing against a monotonous background.
                      5. Lighting - Low. Firstly, we're improving perfomance, secondly, we're getting rid of all shades inside the buildings and such.
                      6. Dynamic Shadows - High. We need to see shadows that other players cast. Also when combined with Lightning setting set to Low it will let us see player's shadow casted through (!) the buildings (for instance you will see shadow on the wall near you on the ground casted by a player on the roof of a building).
                      7. Dynamic Light - High. It will make all flashes produced by weapons' shots more noticeable thus help us to detect an enemy.
                      8. Anti-Aliasing - Low. In general, it just make picture more pleasant to our eyes. But set to high it decreases perfomanse greatly.
                      9. Texture Filtering - Low. The same as for Anti-Aliasing.

Summary:
                      Terrain – Low
                      Effects –High
                      Geometry – High
                      Texture – Low
                      Lighting – Low
                      Dynamic Shadows – High
                      Dynamic Light – High
                      Anti-Aliasing – Low
                      Texture Filtering – Low.

Comment

I will try those settings and see how I get on, thanks

EDIT: Hm, I get around 15-20 fps with those settings, not great...
                        |TG| Lorian

Comment

They don't supposed to make the best perfomance. The most important setting is Geometry, since setting it to Low you will lack distance on what you can see units. Set all other to low and leave this at high.
                          Btw, you can also improve FPS by changin your videocard's settings in you OS.
                          For ex.:

software - ATI Tray Tools.
                          Navigate to Direct3D in it and move trigger for "Texture LOD adjustment" to its leftmost position.

software RivaTuner.
                          The default range for LOD setting is -3 to +3. It's not sufficient. To increase it navigate to Power User tab and in NVIDIA \ Global section set LODBiasRange to 15. Then navigate to Direct 3D Tweaks and check "Enable user minimaps" and set "Minimapping settings" to lets say 10. You cant try greater value here.

What LOD gives us?
                          First of all it "kills" all textures, i.e. they will be absolutely monotonous in game now (pilots gonna enjoy it, since they'll be able to spot infantry at the greater distances).
                          Secondly, it will make smoke much more transparent. At LOD set to 0 smoke becomes a sprite solid at it's centre and transparent at the edges, at LOD set to 10 sprite's transparency is spreaded even. Cloud will be square shaped and equally greyed.
                          The negativity of such settings is that HUD of some weapons becomes a bit blurred which makes aiming less convenient.

P.S. I surfed web a bit and found out that Dynamic Shadows and Dynamic light settings dramatically decrease overall perfomance. So I'd suggest to set them to Low though it will adversely affect game's visual realism. Also Texture filtering should be set to Low (trilinear filtering) in perfomance's sake. And View Distance Scale should be set to 100% in your life's sake ;)
                          Last edited by Macrobeus; 03-07-2006, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Yea, I wouldn't run dynamic shadows on high, low or off, is the best option, afterall its just a shadow, who cares heh.

Comment

I set those 2 to low and my frame rates are much better, around 30-35, down to about 15 if it's smokey
                              |TG| Lorian

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...