I am in Connection Hell.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am in Connection Hell.

I am at wit's end. I can't keep a connection for more than a few minutes. I've searched high & low for resolution. Here's my vital info:

* Two weeks ago, it worked fine - very few drop outs ( ~ 1 per night, max).
    * Went away for the weekend (changed nothing) and now I can't stay on for more than a few minutes.
    * I have PC through router and cable modem. 3C940 NIC onboard motherboard.
    * I have checked connection speed to roadrunner (ISP) >> 4 Mbaud.
    * Have run NIC diagnostics - no problem
    * Have checked and upgraded Punkbuster to latest.
    * Have set ingame connection speed to DSL / Cable
    * Have checked screen resolution, video card overclock, CPU overclock and memtest.
    * Have removed router and gone PC direct to Cable Modem.
    * Have uninstalled game, reinstalled and upgraded with full 1.2 patch

Once I disconnect, if I alt-tab to Windows and then try to open a webpage, there's a long delay. Then it finally work. Alt-Tab back and I can reconnect. (and soon drop out again).

I guess it could be my NIC. It decided to die on me when I went out of town... Fishy. For $15, I could buy a new one, but it doesn't sound right. If not the NIC, then maybe the ISP. Again, no data to support that.

I've seen some dump files but they're not formatted well enough to read with Wordpad. I can't find any data in EAInfo.

Please, Please, Please, does anyone ahve any ideas? I ahve some free ammo bags for anyone who can help. I could carry around a med pack and hand you aspirin all night when the bad tank guys ring your bell.

Help!

Re: I am in Connection Hell.

Do you have another computer you could test your connection on? Or maybe your ISP has a service status hotline. If you have neither of those I would just phonr them up, see if it's a problem on their end
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Try the following.

1. Fire up pingplotter http://www.pingplotter.com/downloads/pngplt_2.exe
      2. Setup a trace to the server you usually play on TG (I'm guessing Server#1 - 70.86.19.218)
      3. Use a sampling interval of 5 seconds and let the thing run for a few hours.

The results will show you if you have networkproblems betweeen yourself and the server. This will show up as red bars showing packetloss. Jitter, variance in responsetime for a network node, can also give a bit of information about the route towards TG. You can post the results here if you want help to interpret them. Pingplotter supports capture of results to different graphis formats.

I'm guessing you'll need the aspirin for yourself as long as you are still having problems.
      --
      VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I had the same problem with my cable complany,

What happens is your Internet Service Provider subscribes too many people from one node, so the node cannot handle the congestion. Oversubscribed node...

Now it can be solved only by doing couple of things

1. Keep pressuring your Internet Service Provider to give you your own node. (eventually they do give you one, I have heard stories)
        2. Change your internet service provider (my approach) Apparently DSL guarantees its bandwidth while cable connections are shared by how many people around your area who are online.

This suggestion is based on my experience, and I will not be held accountable for any bad experience for following my advice. Provided to you by B. :row__572:

Comment

I tried that problem you gave Slick, anything wrong with this?

|TG| Lorian

Comment

Yours looks just fine Lorian
            --

Comment

All except for the big leap from London to Dallas...
              |TG| Lorian

Comment

That is unavoidable.
                --

Comment

I know, still sucks though.
                  |TG| Lorian

Comment

I did it, but can't figure out how to add an attachment. It says I'm not allowed

Comment

Just upload the image to imageshack.us
                      |TG| Lorian

Comment

OK - It's there:
                        http: //img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eastcoastcalpopcom7oa.png

If I interpret this right, it means that I'm getting excessively long hops at all of my legs in the trip, right?

If so, can this still be a ISP problem? Do you think it's worth the time to buy a new NIC and try that? Again, I don't think it's the router since, for one series of tests, I bypassed it.

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Could possibly be your modem. I was running perfectly fine for 6-7 months and then in December I started having connection problems constantly, always losing connection during games. After a month of no fix I called comcast and had techs come out almost every week trying to figure the problem out. Turns out it was my modem (dlink dcm-202). It was unable to update. Comcast installed a new modem and my connection is back to normal.

Comment

Hallelujia!

All is well. Thanks guys. The ISp guy showed up today, ran some diagnostics on the modem and declared it 'retarded'. Apparently, the cable connection speed is fine, but the modem thought the quality was 'poor'. 10 minutes, a new mode, and I'm back being killed repeatedly for the whole round (as opposed to getting killed and disconneted.

I really appreciate the help. You are the Kings of the Geeks. (And I mean that in the kindest sense).

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans
                              Try the following.

1. Fire up pingplotter
                              2. Setup a trace to the server you usually play on TG (I'm guessing Server#1 - 70.86.19.218)
                              3. Use a sampling interval of 5 seconds and let the thing run for a few hours.

The results will show you if you have networkproblems betweeen yourself and the server. This will show up as red bars showing packetloss. Jitter, variance in responsetime for a network node, can also give a bit of information about the route towards TG. You can post the results here if you want help to interpret them. Pingplotter supports capture of results to different graphis formats.

I'm guessing you'll need the aspirin for yourself as long as you are still having problems.

Many thanks for that useful tool PanzerHans

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X