I am in Connection Hell.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LouSlick
    started a topic I am in Connection Hell.

I am in Connection Hell.

I am at wit's end. I can't keep a connection for more than a few minutes. I've searched high & low for resolution. Here's my vital info:

* Two weeks ago, it worked fine - very few drop outs ( ~ 1 per night, max).
    * Went away for the weekend (changed nothing) and now I can't stay on for more than a few minutes.
    * I have PC through router and cable modem. 3C940 NIC onboard motherboard.
    * I have checked connection speed to roadrunner (ISP) >> 4 Mbaud.
    * Have run NIC diagnostics - no problem
    * Have checked and upgraded Punkbuster to latest.
    * Have set ingame connection speed to DSL / Cable
    * Have checked screen resolution, video card overclock, CPU overclock and memtest.
    * Have removed router and gone PC direct to Cable Modem.
    * Have uninstalled game, reinstalled and upgraded with full 1.2 patch

Once I disconnect, if I alt-tab to Windows and then try to open a webpage, there's a long delay. Then it finally work. Alt-Tab back and I can reconnect. (and soon drop out again).

I guess it could be my NIC. It decided to die on me when I went out of town... Fishy. For $15, I could buy a new one, but it doesn't sound right. If not the NIC, then maybe the ISP. Again, no data to support that.

I've seen some dump files but they're not formatted well enough to read with Wordpad. I can't find any data in EAInfo.

Please, Please, Please, does anyone ahve any ideas? I ahve some free ammo bags for anyone who can help. I could carry around a med pack and hand you aspirin all night when the bad tank guys ring your bell.

Help!

• PanzerHans
    replied
    Re: I am in Connection Hell.

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread for a while. I'll clear up a few things. If you see high packetloss and an increased latency it is an indication of traffic congestion on one router on your way.
    Remember that "The Internet" or rather the TCP/IP protocol is designed with redundancy in mind. If one node is down the packets will find another way(if possible) to the target.
    Also, routers that are doing a lot of work will, if they are properly configured, not prioritize ping requests as they would rather handle actual datapackets.

Leave a comment:

• SuperDudeBT
    replied

nu uh, my second link just gives over 1 hour, cuz I wanted to show that 1000 ping, but the 3rd link shows 4 hrs, both w/ 5 second intervals.

Leave a comment:

• smallfatcat
    replied

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
    4 hours isn't enough to tell if there is a problem?
    Sorry, i thought your graph displayed just 10 samples.

Leave a comment:

• SuperDudeBT
    replied

Originally posted by smallfatcat
    Not sure. Can you do a longer test?

Wireless in my experience can be a problem with BF2
    4 hours isn't enough to tell if there is a problem?

Leave a comment:

• smallfatcat
    replied

Your connection looks fine. Don't worry about the packet loss, it's just pretending it lost the packet. From those graphs it looks like your connection is more or less stable.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packets ... Some info on packets

Leave a comment:

• Polinator
    replied

theres one I let run for like 6 hours or so....still has the packet loss...and I dont have a router, I am on a college campus, we have 2 ethernet jacks in each room, so my roommate and I dont need a router...

that "sts.mn.charter.net" is an internet provider in a town outside of my college, so it looks like I make it out of my college network fine, I just hope i can figure out where I am losing my "packet"....byt the way, I have no idea what a packet is...

thanks...

Leave a comment:

• icky
    replied

Originally posted by smallfatcat
    It was only 10 samples, so it might be a quirk. It could just be that the hop in question doesn't respond to ICMP packets.
    What he said. This isn't single packets reporting their time as they go. They run a traceroute (or a series of pings with hop limits) to identify the devices along the way and then they ping each device repeatedly to measure response times. It is easy for one hop to ignore the pings but still transmit the traffic.

The most common problem is an overloaded link or device, and if you scream loudly enough, someone out there will be annoyed enough to fix it. ;)

Leave a comment:

• smallfatcat
    replied

Originally posted by Lorian
    What the hell... if there is 100% packet loss, then how does it get past that hop?? :\
    It was only 10 samples, so it might be a quirk. It could just be that the hop in question doesn't respond to ICMP packets.

Leave a comment:

• smallfatcat
    replied

Originally posted by Polinator

that is mine...I am not sure at all what that "100% Packet Loss" means but I am pretty sure 100%, packet, and loss, can be a good combination...any help would be appreciated ;)

thanks...
    Can i just suggest that if you're diagnosing a connection problem you need to take more than 10 samples. Leave it running for 30 minutes or so at least and then examine your statistics.

Leave a comment:

• Shiner
    replied

I was having connection issues and found swapping my router worked wonders. I think these cheap $50 routers overheat and have a tendancy to degrade over time as do the modems.

Leave a comment:

• Lorian
    replied

What the hell... if there is 100% packet loss, then how does it get past that hop?? :\

Leave a comment:

• Polinator
    replied

that is mine...I am not sure at all what that "100% Packet Loss" means but I am pretty sure 100%, packet, and loss, can be a good combination...any help would be appreciated ;)

thanks...

Leave a comment:

• smallfatcat
    replied

I put that in a diff. thread. I tried the utility that u linked to on here. I'm spiking up into the 1000s at times, what do u think is going on?

I'll try that program on the desktop soon, which is connected hard to the router, to (hopefully) rule out that it's the wireless connection causing problems.
    Not sure. Can you do a longer test?

Wireless in my experience can be a problem with BF2

Leave a comment:

• SuperDudeBT
    replied

Ya, I think you're right, if someone would, interpret all of this:

http://projectmonkey.homeip.net/publ...player_id=5834

and, these two images:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34.../stats_tg2.gif

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34...tistics_tg.gif

and, tell me what u think.
    I put that in a diff. thread. I tried the utility that u linked to on here. I'm spiking up into the 1000s at times, what do u think is going on?

I'll try that program on the desktop soon, which is connected hard to the router, to (hopefully) rule out that it's the wireless connection causing problems.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X