EA Euro Force Quagmire w/Windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA Euro Force Quagmire w/Windows 2000

"* Your PC is not running Windows XP operating system, so it cannot support the EA downloader application. The EA downloader is necessary to deliver your game. If you have already purchased this game on another PC, your copy is still valid on any PC running Windows XP, but it cannot be downloaded to this particular PC."

This is what I get when I try to get Euro Force. Does anyone know a work around for the downloader. And has anyone been able to get euroforce up and running on a Windows 2000 machine. Damn EA. This is the first piece of software, I have run into that wont load on windows 2000. Smarmy bastidz.

Re: EA Euro Force Quagmire w/Windows 2000

Im going to say that alot of people had that problem with SF, and i do not believe there is a work around for that. A search of the forums might bring you the answer though, alot of posts where made like this when the expansion was released
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Yes, there is a workaround. Check the totalbf2 forums. I've seen the posts. Sorry I can't be more helpful but it is possible!

Comment

XP is the only OS officially supported by BF2, IIRC.

Do you have access to an XP machine you can download it on? Then you can copy the files from \Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Downloader\cache\USERNAME\eagamesbf2-2006onl
        ine_map_contentbf2euro to your computer and install it.. It's just regular installer stuff like you'd find on any CD or whatever (I've not yet seen the files on "alternative" sources). And use the web interface if you ever need to change your name. This should be the link.
        Last edited by perry; 03-19-2006, 11:12 AM.
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

Ok folks...it's long and messy but at least it works !

1. On a computer with XP, download EF.

2. Once done, hit the 'Install Now' button in EF. This will decrypt the downloaded files.

3. Once you see the 'Choose install language' screen don't continue with the install.

4. If you go to \\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Downloader\cache\*EA LOGIN*\eagamesbf2-2006online_map_contentbf2euro\

you'll find the setup files for EF. Copy these to a CD/DVD/USB key (352mb].

5. Copy the files to your W2K machine and install EF

6. Browse to this web address

http://www.pogo.com/hotdeploy/eago/e...ackground.html

Click on the link that says 'Edit GameSpy Nickname', log in with your EA.COM account that you used to buy EF and change the BF2 login to whatever you like.

7. Play EF :D

NOTE :

a) You need access to a PC with XP so you can download and install the EA Downloader.

b) This PC with XP doesn't need to have BF2 installed.

c) You don't need the E-AD to change the login associated with EF as all it does is open up a webapage. The Downloader is just a 'front' for IE6.

d) I hope I haven't forgotten anything but if it doesn't work then just reply !

Comment

Thanx for the help. I have the files from an "alternate source". Now I have to get to an xp box. arrrr They really could have let it install on a win2k machine.

Comment

If you have the files, then whatta ya need an XP machine for?
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              | for | |

Comment

I have installed the files, but it wont let me load the maps unless I register. I have the downloader, but I can't install it unless I have the xp box. From what I gather I need the downloader installed to register.

Comment

You should be able to change your login name or purchase the pack without going through the downloader itself.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  | for | |

Comment

I haven't been able to find a place to do that.

Comment

http://downloader.ea.com - you aren't prompted down get the downloader until after you've actually paid.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      | for | |

Comment

I really appreciate your help, but I've been to that page 5 times, when I hit "free download" it takes me to a page that wants me to get the downlaoder. And if I hit "download now" it takes me to a page that has a "buy it now" button, and when I hit that it gives me:

Your PC is not running Windows XP operating system, so it cannot support the EA downloader application. The EA downloader is necessary to deliver your game. If you have already purchased this game on another PC, your copy is still valid on any PC running Windows XP, but it cannot be downloaded to this particular PC.

Am I missing something completely obvious???
                        Last edited by Hambergler; 03-22-2006, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Ohhhh.. didn't realize it was erroring out there. I bet that stupid web page is checking the agent string.

Wanna play with the registry?

Here is some info on changing the agent string. Here is a little more. Your platform string needs to be Windows NT 5.0 instead of 5.1.. So, follow the instructions in the first link

Pasting this:
                          Code:
                          javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)
                          in to your address bar should show Windows NT 5.0 right now.. and that's what has to go to 5.1. Find me on IM at around 7:30 EST and I can try to help walk you through registry editting. I'll get out my old laptop that's running W2K to make sure it all works :)

Hmm.. there's probably an easier way using a proxy like software. Pretty sure this program can change the agent strings if you wanna mess around.
                          Last edited by perry; 03-22-2006, 07:33 PM.
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          | for | |

Comment

K, got it to let me buy it on my laptop with a new EA account I created to test.. I got the same error you did before I started playing around.

This is the registry key to navigate to:
                            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]

Then, add a new String named platform and make its value Windows NT 5.1. Open up IE, copy in that little javascript thing, and you should see NT 5.1 in there. If not, you messed something up.

I can give you a registry file to import that would make the change, but you'd need to go back and remove it by hand...
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            | for | |

Comment

I got all the way to the purchase button, then this message:

The following error has occurred:
                              Address Unintelligible
                              Explanation:
                              Somewhere along the way to your destination, the address (location) you were trying to get to was garbled.

How to Fix the Problem:
                              Your best bet is to hit the Back button on your browser and try to navigate from there. If that doesn't work, you should close your browser window, sign back on to the site, and try again.

If you get this error again, please let us know by going to:

EA Customer Help
                              Pogo Help
                              Please take note and let us know the steps you took to get to this page.

Once I sighned up to ea, on every page I was getting a IE security message. I'm not sure what that was about. Anyway I couldn't buy it. I also tryed the downloader again just in case it was linked up with IE. But no dice.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X