Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of a resource hog are Shadows??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a resource hog are Shadows??

With my system, I've got to run everything on low (I think maybe one thing is one medium)-- Inspiron 6000 w/ 128 MB ATI x300, 1 GB RAM. It makes me feel stupid when I see a BF2 video of a helocopter and I think, WOW, those shadows look cool... wish I could use them. So, is it a big resource hog to turn them on? Think my lappy could take it??

Re: How much of a resource hog are Shadows??

oops, didnt think about this should be in this thread. my bad!

Comment

I tried it, and it sent my game to a screeching halt.

Comment

Yeah, your video card is the weak point. I couldn't get bf2 to run in any playable fashion with graphics settings other than low/off with a geforce 5500fx. It's a similar to the x300 but with double the ram.

Comment

I have a 6600G 256 meg nvidia and 1.5 gig ram and I don't get good performance at medium. I have to have most items on low for continuous smooth video.
          Meister

Comment

shadows are the # 1 frame rate butcher.

I had them off until I got the 6800. Turning them off and turning lighting to low actually helps you competitively though. Less things going on to distract you. When I had the old settings it was easier to be aware of what was going on around you because there was a lot less movement and 'special effects'.

I'm a competitive guy but, after thinking about it for awhile, I decided to just leave the eye candy on. Guess I'm not as hardcore as I used to be.

Comment

I used to have the x300 until i upgraded except i had the SE version which is a little worse. I had everything on low and still had the occasional spot of system lag. As Bhack says though, as soon as i got my new card and turned shadows on it made it difficult to spot guys in shadow and buildings, especially the construction site which is a nightmare at the best of times. I likewise came to the conclusion that the odd death from the shadows was worth the prettiness factor.

I tried tweaking most of the settings on my x300 to see if i could get better graphics but never could find anything that made a visible difference and that didnt turn the game into a slideshow.

If you cant stretch to a new card you can at least feel content that you have an advantage over some of us. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Meister
                I have a 6600G 256 meg nvidia and 1.5 gig ram and I don't get good performance at medium. I have to have most items on low for continuous smooth video.
                Thanx for all the responses. lol, when I turned the shadows onto low, I still didn't see the slightest hint of a shadow, even tho the game was a slideshow.

I was wondering, if you have a card w/ 256 MB memory, and u can't be at medium, what's the spec on the card that's holding u back?? cuz 256 is pretty good. is it the cache or something? like u want 2 MB cache instead of 512 KB?

and, unfortunately, upgrading isn't possible (or doable by me) for my system. I'm on a lappy =(

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
                  I was wondering, if you have a card w/ 256 MB memory, and u can't be at medium, what's the spec on the card that's holding u back?? cuz 256 is pretty good. is it the cache or something? like u want 2 MB cache instead of 512 KB?

and, unfortunately, upgrading isn't possible (or doable by me) for my system. I'm on a lappy =(
                  I take it that's a reply to me and my old geforce 5500fx with 256megs of ram. Yeah, that card had a decent amount of ram, but it had a slow clock, something like ~250mhz, and it only has 2 pixel pipes. Basically, it didn't have enough processing power (i.e. it's too slow). So it didn't matter whether there was plenty of memory on the card.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
                    I take it that's a reply to me and my old geforce 5500fx with 256megs of ram. Yeah, that card had a decent amount of ram, but it had a slow clock, something like ~250mhz, and it only has 2 pixel pipes. Basically, it didn't have enough processing power (i.e. it's too slow). So it didn't matter whether there was plenty of memory on the card.
                    Ya, it was. I was just wondering which spec on the GPU was making the difference. So, it's the clock speed? and whatre the pixel pipes?

Comment

Yeh, shadows/shadres are the real killers when it comes to FPS as it takes a lot of power.
                      I do keep the normal lighting on as I rather die enjoying the scenery then killing guys with Pacman-quality. Also, never set anything to high except texture filtering and view distance (always keep to 100%, lower other things instead). The texture filtering on high is the only setting in which I noticed a small difference between medium and high, everthing else...medium and high is almost the same.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                      BF2142 Names:
                      Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                      Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                      Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                      Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement