Voice problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice problems

I'm a TG SM who is just starting BF2 (I mostly play NS). Unfortunately, my mic which works fine in NS is completely silent in BF2. As noone seems to read text, this is making the game completely unplayable for me, since I can't effectively communicate with my team. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might fix the problem? The transmit volume is set at 100%, and the 'boost mic gain' option is checked. Since I have only ever heard one person using a mic in this game, I have a suspicion that I'm not the only person having problems with this, but none of the stickied threads in any area I've seen explain how to get the mic to work.

Re: Voice problems

Are you running TS at the same time? Some people can't run TS and BF2 voice chat at the same time cause only 1 will work at a time.

Comment

No, TS is not running.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon
        I'm a TG SM who is just starting BF2 (I mostly play NS). Unfortunately, my mic which works fine in NS is completely silent in BF2. As noone seems to read text, this is making the game completely unplayable for me, since I can't effectively communicate with my team. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might fix the problem? The transmit volume is set at 100%, and the 'boost mic gain' option is checked. Since I have only ever heard one person using a mic in this game, I have a suspicion that I'm not the only person having problems with this, but none of the stickied threads in any area I've seen explain how to get the mic to work.
        My mic works in game but does not function during the game setup so all hope may not be lost for you. I know this may be a silly question but did you set a key bind to make you mic active in BF2? You have the choice to have it active when speaking or bind a key to activate the mic for VOIP. It is much better to bind a key in the BF2 controls so once your mic is working the rest of us don't have to hear whats going on in your house. :row__631:

I don't know what sound card you have but it might be a problem with windows and not BF2. Can you hear yourself talk through the mic without any programs running?

If not I would first check that your mic works with just windows. In case you aren't familiar with mic setup..... Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - Entertainment - Volume Control.

This should bring up the volume control for your sound card. Mine brings up the default volume controls for windows but yours may be different if you have some kinda specialty drivers.

Anyways - Is there a volume control for "microphone"? If so, is it muted? Is so for now unmute it. Is the slider all the way up? If not push it to the top.

If you don't see a microphone volume slider select the Option menu then Properties. Make sure that "Microphone" is checked and press the OK button then make sure that the Advanced Options is selected in the Options menu as well.

Now that mic is active (and not muted) select Options - Properties again and choose the "Recording" option in the "Adjust Volume for" section. Make sure that Microphone is checked then press OK button.

You should now see the Input level controls. This is how loud your device is input into the computer. You can only select one item at a time so check the "Select" box on Microphone and move the slider to the top. Then hit the Advanced button below the slider and set it for the +20 db boost. If your mic is working properly and you talk into it you should hear yourself over your speakers or headphones. It is set pretty loud so you might get feedback.

If you can hear yourself that means that the windows is not getting in the way of your mic working. Before you try it in game go back to the volume control.... not recording control.. so Options menu - Properties and select the Playback. Now mute the microphone. This only mutes you hearing yourself. The mic still is picking up your voice.

If you got this far and its working you can try in game.
        Meister

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but it is not a problem with windows or the mic itself. It works fine for other software (NS, TS), and therefore the problem is with the settings in BF2. And yes, it's bound to the default ('b'), and the transmitting icon shows up when I press b, but is sending only silence.

Comment

Do you have more than one sound card in your PC?

[at][unit]

Comment

Go into your BF2 folder. Here's where mine is:
              C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2

Open up the BF2VoiceSetup program and test your mic in there. You might want to enable microphone boost. Just be sure and test it in there. If you can hear yourself there you should be fine in game.

Comment

Mine just shorted out on me too .. works fine and I can hear myself throughout the startup, but once I choose a user and "login" then the thing goes dead. I hate computers.
                I heart TG.
                xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

Edit: Updated Realtek drivers -- back in business, for now at least :D
                  I heart TG.
                  xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

My mic doesnt work in game unless mic transmit treshold is set to zero in the BF2 audio menu
                    may or may not help you.

better advice is the search the BF2 tech probs forum for key words, as about once a month theres a thread about mic probs, if you read them all then theres probably one idea there that will solve it for you

Also, on ser 1 lots of people use their mic and it makes our server way more fun and interesting than the general 'silent' pubbie servers

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X