Long loading times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long loading times

I was playing in the Irregulars practice today, and when a new map loaded, I was consistently the last one in the game. Why does mine take so long? Is it because I have a slow hard drive (I don't actually know what RPM it is) or maybe because I have a 1.6GHz processor, I don't know. Any suggustions? Or maybe an explanation? Cheers :)
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Re: Long loading times

My guess this could be related to your connection; packet loss maybe, are you on DSL, cable ??

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I doubt very much that that is the problem, because it is loading the files from the disk and not the internet. Oh yeah, and a few days ago I made a RAM disk and put one of the maps on there, then ran a junction link so it seamlessly integrated with the actual game files. When I went to load the map, I noticed very little difference at all, which leads me to believe that my CPU is the problem...
      |TG| Lorian

Comment

Ram is likely the issue....how much does your system have?
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

1gig, double the minimum
          |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian
            1gig, double the minimum
            Start a local MP server with a 64 player map with the task manager running. Once loaded, have a look at the peak mem usage. If it exceeds 1Gb, that's part of your answer. I believe the maps are compressed on disk, so loading them means your CPU speed will have some bearing on the map loading speed.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian
              1gig, double the minimum
              Your problem is system bus speed, slow hard drive with small buffer, and slow processor.

Comment

I still think it's likely your RAM. 1 gig is double the minimum, but BF2 will eat more so you're working from virtual memory... so suddenly your disk speed, CPU bus, defrag status, etc. all mean more. If you can swing it, get yourself another stick of RAM. I had the same problem which went away when I went beyond 1 gig.

Comment

lol - and I think it might be his connection :icon_lol: once the data loads, it all has to be sent outbound to be verified. that's what takes me a long time during loading a map - not the loading itself, but the verification. (since my upstream isn't great - says 384kbps, but i never get close to that)

Comment

Most likely your hard drive. Ram might be a factor too. From my experience, i went from 1 gig ram 7200 rpm hard drive to 2 gigs ram and a 10,000 rpm raptor and i noticed a HUGE difference. I usually can get in while the countdown is still at 1:30

Comment

For your enjoyment, my firewall traffic graphs for todays practice (time in EST).

You guys can draw your own conclusions. That traffic includes, voip, teamspeak and all. There are many things that affect loading/validating speed. Loading Zatar 64 players, can suck up over 1G, and a bad connection, with packet loss, will hinder validation, even though we're not talking about uploading/downloading a lot of data.

Using The smallfatcat uberservertracker, your connection does not seem to be unstable.

Cheers.
                      Last edited by Dick Blonov; 04-01-2006, 11:35 PM. Reason: Added graph from tracker

| |

Comment

Ok lets reply to all the posts in order:

Post 6: I loaded up Zatar 64 and it has a peak of 544.25MB, way under what I have.
                        Post 8: I only have 2 slots in my computer, they both have 512 sticks in them, I would have 1280 (2x512, 1x256), but I couldn't fit my 256 stick in :(
                        Post 9: I did not know that... But I can't control that anyway, my Dad pays for the internet...
                        Post 10: Looked up on the internet, I have a 7200 RPM HDD. I may get a new one at some point, but I have just spent all my money on a new graphics card...

Conclusion: I don't know... *scratches head*
                        |TG| Lorian

Comment

When exactly do you get in game on the TG server? Is the start time still counting down?
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Nope, I get in and I always see people running around, timer has long gone
                            |TG| Lorian

Comment

From my experience with my old computer lorian is this

I had 1 gig ram, 7200 rpm hardrive and 9800 pro graphics card, nearly always last in game

now 2 gigs ram, 7200 rpm hardrive 7800 gt graphics card, nearly always first in game

Now i believe it is down to memeory, bf2 is a blood sucking game that needs as much as you can give it

If you can afford to get 2 1 gig sticks of ram, im sure you would notice the difference

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X