Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does setting a higher resolution take up more resources??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does setting a higher resolution take up more resources??

I've been real laggy it seems lately. Maybe it's just that I'm just now noticing it. I changed my resolution of the game to the highest one (what is it, 1280 x 1024??), a while back, because it was easier to go back to desktop, as my width is the same (but not height, I'm using a widescreen res).

I used to run it in the lower res, 800 x ???, and I want to know if I should see greater performance of my game if I do that. My ping is 50ish on TG server 1, so as far as my connection goes, I believe I shouldn't see any lag. So, most def. means it's my computer, right?

I have a crappy GPU, as I play on a laptop, so I've turned everything to low or off, except view distance (which I have on 100), and the resolution, and I think I can put textures back on medium, cuz it doesn't take hardly any more resources.

Thanx.

Re: Does setting a higher resolution take up more resources??

Resolution will have a big effect im quite sure, use the ingame command in your console "renderer.drawfps 1" to see your fps on both of the resolutions.

Comment

Yeah, the resoolution makes a fair amount of difference to the frame rate, especially from 800x600 to 1280x1024. Lower the res and you'll be able to increase your other settings.
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

A big thing is shadows also. I have a pretty much top of the line system but still won't run BF2 on 1600x1200 w/ full shadows on, I have to turn the shadows down and then it runs flawless.

Comment

What specs does your system have Eggplant?
          |TG| Lorian

Comment

P3.0 prescott, 3 Gigs of DC PC4300 geil ram, X800 XT, forgot what motherboard (& a 21.3" LCD if that matters). It seems like on every game shadows makes a huge difference in performance, and basically I think it comes down to inefficient programming or that the technology just isn't here yet for shadows. If you notice most games just use blobs for shadows.

Right now I have reg sata HD in, but I have 2 raptor's just sitting in my case unused because I'm too lazy to reinstall everything :(

I think I'm gonna upgrade in may or june though, I really want to try out the extreme DC processors w/ programming

Comment

Nice system, wish I could afford that...
              |TG| Lorian

Comment

It actually wasn't that bad aside from the monitor, building your own computer is really efficient

Comment

think of it this way - the PC has to render every pixel on your screen (render = calculate the color and brightness of it - combining the background texture, the 3d affects (smoke, shadow, etc), and light (both ambient and dynamic). Each frame is filled with a fixed number of pixels... 800x600 = 480,000 pixels. Let's say it takes .1 second to render all the 480k pixels in the frame... that means your PC can render 10 frames per second...

now then... if you up the resolution to say 1280x1024, you're giving it more pixels to figure out per frame... now 1,310,720 pixels... 3 times as many as before... so it's gotta do 3x the work per frame and thus can only complete 1/3 as many fps as before - ~3fps in this case..

hope that helps

Comment

If you set it to something other than the screen's native resolution it can eat up resources too, as the machine has to remap the lower resolution across multiple pixels.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

hmm... thought this was a monitor-driver issue, so didn't think it was a big deal.. but i could be wrong.. anyway if you're on an lcd and running at lower resolutions than your desktop, I'd advise running in a window - looks a lot better that way IMO.

Comment

Yeah, if you use anything other than the native res on an LCD it looks crap
                        |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Eggplant999
                          P3.0 prescott, 3 Gigs of DC PC4300 geil ram,
                          Can you have 3 gigs of dual channel? I've always been confused about how it works. I thought you had to have all matched sticks.
                          sigpic

Comment

I got 512mbx2 and 2x1gig

Don't ask me why... haha

Oh and the sticks have to be the same that are on the same channel. IE channel A (slot 1 and 3) and channel B (slot 2 and 4)

Channel A i have the 512x2 and B i have 1024x2

Comment

Yea dual channel is nice im running 2x1gb g.skill 2.5cas in slots 2+4

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X