I need your suggestinons and advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your suggestinons and advice

I am tired of playing without the ability to talk.

I am looking for advice on to get sound going. I have a Gateway 7200 laptop, i am playing BF2 on it but through an external 17in monitor. It is all working pretty well now I would like to get the sound going for talking. Is there something specific i need to do to getting to work. Also any advice on what mic or headset i should get.

Re: I need your suggestinons and advice

AS far as mic/headset.... any will work but the better quality costs more. I don't use mic/headset so I have never had to make the decision on what to purchase.

I have a set of $200 headphones for my recording studio that I use sometimes but that is probably overkill for gaming only.

I bought a Labtec mic that mounts to my computer desk. It is a small round bug mic that sets in front of my keyboard. Since I don't use the voice recoginition feature in BF2 or TS I use keyboard to activate the mic so I don't have a problem with my mic providing feedback. But I have to consistently speak loudly to be heard.. so its a trade off.
    Meister

Comment

Originally posted by pjaronex
      I am tired of playing without the ability to talk.

I am looking for advice on to get sound going. I have a Gateway 7200 laptop, i am playing BF2 on it but through an external 17in monitor. It is all working pretty well now I would like to get the sound going for talking. Is there something specific i need to do to getting to work. Also any advice on what mic or headset i should get.
      I would probably go with a USB headset. There have been a few threads in the forums regarding which headsets are best, and a number of headsets were evaluated based on individuals wearing glasses. Some headsets performed beautifully, but were very uncomfortable if you wear glasses.

I use the Logitech 350 and really like it. Although it was one of those headsets that sucked if you wear glasses. I've been wearing my contacts lately so it hasn't been an issue.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9523

these are the ones I used, "Logitech® Precision PC Gaming Headset"

but they hurt your ears after a bit of wear, they look and feel comfortable at first, but for some reason just annoys your ears after prolonged use. They sound really good though. Unfortunetly, they shorted out and I ripped them apart in anger, So look out for buying them.

Comment

I've had both the Logitech USB 350 and the Plantronics DSP-500. Both are excellent quality.

I ran into the glasses problem Apophis mentioned with the Logitech USB 350 so I picked up a Plantronics DSP-500 and the glasses problem is resolved.

Either is an excellent choice, just offering up an alternative if you wear glasses.

Comment

My recommendation on headsets is to start cheap (less than $20) and then move up later. I use a $15 two-wire headset (mic in / audio out) that I picked up at the nearest Best Buyesque store and I am very happy. This way you can make sure VOIP works with your sound card w/o dropping a lot of coin up front and then if you want to upgrade you have a back-up or a headest for a second computer, etc.
            LoyalGuard

Comment

Depends on what you have audio wise in your system as well. I don't see any mention of whether the audio is an add-on card or just on-board audio.

I had lots of problems with my on-board audio so buying a $60 USB headset with great sound quality versus having to buy a sound card AND a headset was about the same so I leaned toward USB.

Comment

I have a cheap usb headset and it works nicely, I would definitely recommend a headset because if you're using a stand-alone microphone, you have to yell, find a good place for the microphone besides on the keyboard, and sometimes lean when you want to talk. With a headset, you can adjust the mic if you need to and you don't have to yell or lean. So my advice: Get a headset.
                sigpic

Comment

I use the Playstation 2 Logitech headset, so I can play MGS3 online as well as BF2 all with one, comfortable, affordable, headset!

Note: Non-PS2 headsets do work with PS2, but not all, this one I know for sure works, and it's fine for BF2 too.

Comment

I just recently picked up a Plantronics head set with detachable USB section.

At the time I didn't understand that when connecting USB Windows uses the in cord chip as the sound device. I'm not an audiofile, but should have realized this was the case.

Anyway, I was able to remove the USB section and use it as a two jack system. If your wary of whether you onboard vs. the in cord chip will be better or worse, this could be the perfect compromise.

I also use a simple splitter to my PC speakers and turn them off when using the headset. When using the speakers I use the individual volume control to turn the headset down, thus saving the wear and tear on it.

I can't post links yet but it was a Plantronics (Gamer something or other) and was $30.00 US.

Comment

What's an "in cord chip?"

By the way, I use a Sennheiser PC150. I haven't used any other headsets, so I have nothing to compare with; but, I really like the Sennheiser. I think it's on sale for like ~$35 at Newegg.com right now. I also find that they are fine to use with glasses as well, if you wear glasses. And, they are comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time. Maybe somebody else has used the Sennheisers as well as some other brands and can give us a comparison.

Comment

I think he is referring to the DSP module that any USB headset will have. The DSP module is basically the built-in sound card for the headset.

Comment

Ohh I see. Yeah, I've never had a usb headset.

Comment

Neither have I, but in that case, looking to get a usb headset myself now.

Comment

Plantronics DSP 200 Headset @ Comp USA

This is very similar to what I have.

Although for me the USB section with the DSP in it was a waste, if your using onboard sound it might would come in handy.

I don't recommend the DSP module if you have any type of expansion card for sound. Most sound cards even basic ones are superior to the module. If intending on upgrading, or using the this headset for two different computers, one with a sound card and one without , it could be ideal.

Use it with the module for now, when upgrading or changing what computer/laptop your using it with, just remove the module and use it as a normal two jack headset.

Plus Plantronics is a very solid name in headsets, they've been doing it longer then anyone.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X